Thread: Need independent volume control over external audio...

1. Default Need independent volume control over external audio...

The volume control in the Proteus controls the signal coming from the auxiliary input as well as the internal sound pulses. I find that the pulses are sometimes too loud compared to the external audio. I have tried several different ways of connecting external audio content to the Proteus, but I am unable to reduce the volume of the pulses from the Proteus to a low, unobtrusive level while keeping the external audio volume relatively normal. Using the line output from my CD players, as suggested in the manual, has not provided a loud enough signal either.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than creating custom sessions in the Proteus editor with a lower pulse volume?

Thanks, Brian

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need independent volume control over external audio...

Hi Brian;

One way would be to use an external mixer, feeding the Proteus output into one channel and the CD into another. That works well, but requires one to purchase a mixer for that purpose.

The good news is that the Procyon is different in that the volume control only affects the sounds generated by the Procyon, not the external signal (for example from a CD player).

3. Default Re: Need independent volume control over external audio...

Andy, thanks for the response.

By the way, I did get your answer to my ThoughtStream question about the com port problem. And I think you're right... I believe I did use the Proteus cable. However, I can't check it now because I sold my only two ThoughtStreams this weekend.

I'm a new MindPlace dealer. Currently, my wife and I use the Proteus in our pain relief clinic in addition to demonstrating and selling the Proteus, Sirius and ThoughtStream at health fairs. This volume control issue for the Proteus has become a problem when demonstrating its use with music or audio hypnosis programs. Suggesting that people purchase mixers would not be practical.

Now, what is the Procyon? Should I be calling Anji?
    Thanks,
    Brian Cummings
    Body Alive!
    Redding, CA

Blog Entries

However, I can't check it now because I sold my only two ThoughtStreams this weekend.
    Glad to hear that sales are up!

The Procyon is an upcoming product that's being tested and will hopefully be released in the near future. It addresses many of the shortcomings of the Proteus and takes light and sound to a new level. It's final specs have not been released yet as it's still a work in progress.

FYI - the mixers that we have used are around $50, so they're not expensive especially for people who use the machines for business. As I said, though, the Procyon won't have this volume issue that the Proteus currently does.

Welcome to the community!

Be watching for the posting of ... ProtEd2_5.

It will have the following capabilities...

1) The User will be able to set the minimum flash rate of the lights to 0.1 Hz.
    2) The User will be able to reload the default Sound Tables and "simple" Factory Sessions from the Session Editor; rather than having to use a download from the Internet.
    3) The User will be able to press the 'Start/Stop' switch (in AS mode) and toggle the 'always on' mode.
    'AS_' ...will indicate that the unit will never turn off... (the User should be using an external power supply).
    'AS ' ...will indicate, the old, 80 minute turn-off time.
    4) The User will be able to press the 'Select' switch (in AS mode) and toggle the Proteus display 'on' and 'off ' ... a noise reduction technique.
    5) In Pxx and Uxx modes (with a session running)...pressing the middle and bottom buttons will affect the volume of the internally generated sound.
    This value is retained as long as the Proteus unit is on. It is reset to 'full' volume when the unit is turned on.
    6) In Pxx, Uxx, USr and PC modes (with a session running)...pressing the top and middle buttons will affect the "on time" of the lights.
    This was implemented in conjunction with the lowering of the minimum flash rate of the lights to 0.1 Hz, where the "on time" gets rather long.
    The "on time" cycles through 5 settings... (normal) 40% on time, 20%, 10%, 5% and 0%.

theRock

6. Default Re: Need independent volume control over external audio...

Thanks, "theRock"!

5) In Pxx and Uxx modes (with a session running)...pressing the middle and bottom buttons will affect the volume of the internally generated sound.
    This upgrade will solve the problem. I'll keep watch on this forum for news of when it is available.

Brian

Blog Entries

Thread Information