Thread: ripping audiostrobe and turbosonix cds

Default ripping audiostrobe and turbosonix cds

ok, here are my results. i already knew these rips (mp3 files) worked at 320 kb/s no vbr but i wanted to see if i could rip them at a lesser bitrate. i ripped the sample audiostrobe disc that came with my unit and three turbosonix cds that were also included in the package. i ripped them using mac itunes at 192 kb/s with no vbr and played them into the procyon using itunes on the mac pro.

all of these cds 'worked' after ripping if you define 'worked' as lighting up the lights in the glasses and playing the music through the headphones. but there was a world of difference between the two formats.

btw, the mode must be set to 'as' and then the up/down arrow key must be hit to place it in 'dl9' mode as opposed to the only other option: 'anl' mode.

the audiostrobe mp3 files took from a minimum of 10 seconds to a maximum of 30 seconds to activate the lights. they also required 75-80% gain (volume) in order to activate the lights--this can be quite loud and if you turn the volume down you lose the lights.

the turbosonix mp3 files activated the lights immediately upon hitting the 'play' button and required at least 33% less volume to keep the lights going. this was such a striking difference between the two formats that i got out the original audiostrobe cd and discovered the problem was not with my ripped mp3 files, there was no difference at all using the original cd--the same high volume level was needed and the same delay before the lights activated was noted.

bottom line is that, at least on my systems, 192 kb/s no vbr will suffice to rip the cds to mp3 files but the turbosonix format, on the surface at least, seems to work much, much better than audiostrobe.

/s~
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Blog Entries

Default Re: ripping audiostrobe and turbosonix cds

Thanks for posting your results!

Just a small clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    btw, the mode must be set to 'as' and then the up/down arrow key must be hit to place it in 'dl9' mode as opposed to the only other option: 'anl' mode.
    Analog mode will work as well (or better) if you set the sensitivity properly. See: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=550

-Andy.

thanks for the link and i read the pdf, but unless i've misunderstood the instructions this seems to require a program costing between $60 and $260 according to my quick google searches. for that money i can live with whatever sound comes out of my computer!

but perhaps you mean ii could adjust the noise floor setting using the free editor? that's the only internal audio setting that i see. or perhaps jack the gain up on the lights so they would trigger at a lower audio level perhaps?

thanks,

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 09-26-2008 at 10:14 PM.
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Blog Entries

I was referring to the editor adjustments.

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I was referring to the editor adjustments.

-Andy.
    fantastic. i will give that a try after noting down the the default settings. i'm still too new to be entirely comfortable with changing much although i have added 5 sessions to the end of the factory defaults. later i want to take out many of the factory sessions and to do that i'll have to make sure i understand the album concept completely.

oh, i nearly forgot. last night i plugged something into every jack on the unit, including the usb, set it to 'AS' and in both analogue and digital modes i got i'd describe as a fairly loud, hi-pitched hum that was a result of the usb being plugged in. is this normal or something peculiar to my computer. since i haven't yet been using the editor to create sessions i've never had the headphones plugged in while the procyon was connected via usb.

thanks!

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 09-27-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    oh, i nearly forgot. last night i plugged something into every jack on the unit, including the usb, set it to 'AS' and in both analogue and digital modes i got i'd describe as a fairly loud, hi-pitched hum that was a result of the usb being plugged in. is this normal or something peculiar to my computer. since i haven't yet been using the editor to create sessio ns i've never had the headphones plugged in while the procyon was connected via usb.
    Hi again, Guy!

Ok, you're new here so I'll give you some friendly advice...
    It's good forum etiquette to do a thorough search first before asking questions. That way the folks that took the time to answer the question the first time don't have to repeat themselves. Forums work because of the generosity of the posters. It's important that visitors be courteous and search well and often, read much and ask only if the question has not been asked. If the question relates to a previous topic, ask it in that thread.

You've asked a few questions now that have been answered before. Please do use the search function, read much and learn from others. We're all happy to support members and answer any questions we can, but it's important that the forum etiquette be followed.

The answer to your question is here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=476

-Andy.

thanks andy. i actually have gone through the forum pretty thoroughly and in fact did read the entry you cited, but had forgotten i'd read it!

you'll get old one day too and have that to look forward to, but i'll try to remember to do a search first even though i've read back through the old posts.

and i have made an effort to consolidate some information into new posts (thus this thread) so those coming after me wouldn't have the problem of sorting out which information is still relevant and trying to collect bits and pieces here and there.

your answer didn't mention whether a ferrite bead or core would help the problem, but ham radio operators with similar problem seem to have had mixed results with these unless they custom-made them for their particular setup.

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 09-27-2008 at 07:51 PM.

I want to purchase some hypnotherapy CDs that are compatible with tubosonix and PR-2X and Zen Mast. The sites does not mention compatability with procyon. I would really like to have this type of capability. And if I can just purchase CDs and use even better.

I haven't looked into the technical distinction between Turbosonix and AudioStrobe, but they seem to be pretty much the same thing - you should have no problems using the Procyon.

You'll note that Turbosonix was used successfully further up this thread.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thread Information