Thread: procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

Default procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

hadn't seen this here so thought i'd confirm it.

intel mac running vmware fusion v2 with win xp sp2.

i didn't realize that the drivers were only included with the v2.1 editor and not the v2.2 editor, but once i uninstalled 2.2 and installed 2.1 the device found the drivers just fine, then i updated back to v2.2 of the editor.

actually, on my pc at work using the same os, i think i have to manually select 'pc' mode whereas on the mac all i do is plug the procyon in and it's ready to go.

/guy
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Blog Entries

Default Re: procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

That's good news that it works on the Mac!

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    actually, on my pc at work using the same os, i think i have to manually select 'pc' mode whereas on the mac all i do is plug the procyon in and it's ready to go.
    On the Procyon, you don't have to select that manually, the editor will select the proper mode for you no matter what machine you're using.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

I can confirm that the 2.1.0 Editor and related drivers work just fine in a VMWare Fusion 2.0 environment on an Intel-based Mac. (MacBook Pro, in my case.) The Windows version that I'm running is XP Home. The Procyon Editor is actually installed on my BootCamp partition, but I usually stay in Mac OSX and just run the BootCamp partition as a virtual machine.

I'll note that other utilities such as the Proteus to Procyon conversion utility run fine in this environment too.

These days, running Windows on an Intel-based Mac is exactly like running Windows native on a PC platform. And the virtualization environments like Parallels or VMWare are pretty much flawless for everything except gaming or other applications that require DirectX (and every year they get closer to running DirectX programs pretty well too).

Many corporate production server applications are run in VMWare virtual machines these days. The technology is pretty bullet-proof by now and it's a lot easier to work with snapshots of a server than to install or recover that server the hard way.

4. Default Re: procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

Yeah, it also works in vmware running XP in a linux machine. So does Mind Workstation.

5. Default Re: procyon editor works in vmware on intel mac

I got Procyon Editor 2_2_05 working on an Intel Duo Mac running Leopard and using Parallels and Windows XP Home SP1 (couldn't update to SP2 or 3 on Micros*ft's web site as it wouldn't authenticate my authentic copy of windows). Whilst Parallels is quite horrible from first impression, it has its redeeming features but the Procyon Editor worked first time and I was able to connect to the device after installing the Revision 2 v5.3.0 Driver. So all in all a success!

Thread Information