Thread: set ext audio input level?

Default set ext audio input level?

i found the following note in the post announcing the 'new' procyon software:

External audio level. While running an internal session or an external session (via the Editor) any external audio being fed to the console via the "Aux" connection can be turned up or down. While the session is running, press the up/down (bottom) key and the display will go from A0 (indicating ext. audio off) to A8 (ext. audio max level).
    i found that although my computer headphone output drove the procyon very well via the aux input, my thumb-sized sandisk clip mp3 player had to be turned up to maximum volume for the procyon to sense it. i was hoping that the above meant that i could increase the sensitivity level via the procyon, but when i hit the button without an aux input it simply toggles between AoN and AoF. what is the impedance of the procyon aux input jack?

oh, and this was playing an mp3 file of one of the disks i received with the player, either turbosonix or audiostrobe. but, i ripped these at 320kb/s no vbr, but i saw some posts here later on that implied you could use 192kb/s with or without vbr. but then i saw another post that said ripping as mp3 would destroy the .wav header. so i'm confused. the mp3s of the disks seem to work fine at 320kb/s no vbr but i have no way of knowing since i have no basis for comparison.

thanks,

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 09-24-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Blog Entries

Default Re: set ext audio input level?

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    i found that although my computer headphone output drove the procyon very well via the aux input, my thumb-sized sandisk clip mp3 player had to be turned up to maximum volume for the procyon to sense it. i was hoping that the above meant that i could increase the sensitivity level via the procyon, but when i hit the button without an aux input it simply toggles between AoN and AoF.
    The A0-A8 function is available on the new OS. You are still using the older OS.
    what is the impedance of the procyon aux input jack?
    Probably 100-1000ohms. No load at all on any music player. Your MP3 player doesn't have sufficient output level with the default settings. The sensitivity can be increased using the editor.

oh, and this was playing an mp3 file of one of the disks i received with the player, either turbosonix or audiostrobe. but, i ripped these at 320kb/s no vbr, but i saw some posts here later on that implied you could use 192kb/s with or without vbr. but then i saw another post that said ripping as mp3 would destroy the .wav header. so i'm confused. the mp3s of the disks seem to work fine at 320kb/s no vbr but i have no way of knowing since i have no basis for comparison.

thanks,

/guy
    Use whatever works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The A0-A8 function is available on the new OS. You are still using the older OS.
    thanks. i thought i was up to date, but i'll check when i get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by gteague
    i saw some posts here later on that implied you could use 192kb/s with or without vbr. but then i saw another post that said ripping as mp3 would destroy the .wav header.
    Use whatever works for you!
    so are you saying that any bit rate decoding or ripping that triggers light activity 'works'? is there no minimum required rate or specific format (mp3/wav/apple lossless)?

thanks,

/guy
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

ok, i upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.4 which is what came with the vers 2.2 editor package. is this the latest update of the firmware?

i did get the a0-a8 level settings function with this os and it was default-set at a8.

i've still been unable to find a definitive answer to the bitrate and format needed to rip the specially encoded cds and i sure would appreciate know that since my mp3 player only holds 2gb and it makes a huge difference whether i need to encode in .wav or .mp3.

thanks,

/guy

Blog Entries

Hi Guy;

Quote Originally Posted by gteague View Post
    ok, i upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.4 which is what came with the vers 2.2 editor package. is this the latest update of the firmware?
    Yes.

i did get the a0-a8 level settings function with this os and it was default-set at a8.
    You can still set the sensitivity higher for the AS mode if you need to. In the editor there's a function under "Utilities" "Set Audiostrobe Colors and Balance" where you can set the sensitivity for the digital mode. For info on the Analog mode have a look at these instructions: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=550

i've still been unable to find a definitive answer to the bitrate and format needed to rip the specially encoded cds and i sure would appreciate know that since my mp3 player only holds 2gb and it makes a huge difference whether i need to encode in .wav or .mp3.
    Well, you could do a few test runs yourself, or do a search on the forum for the term "bitrate". It's been discussed at length by many. I have not done any of the testing myself so you'll have to either experiment yourself or try what others have had success with.

-Andy.

<del>

Well, you could do a few test runs yourself, or do a search on the forum for the term "bitrate". It's been discussed at length by many. <Del>
    hi andy:

i really thank you for the time you take to answer my starting out questions, btw. much appreciated.

what am i 'testing' for? if the lights activate at all when i start my mp3 file does that mean that the rip has been successful? i read dozen of threads on this forum on the issue and what concerned me was some sort of 'header' that was needed to initiate sync and needed to be in .wav format in order to be read by the procyon.

< *** see my reply to you in the 'mixing' thread where i found the post i was talking about. it was your post *** >

or i could just rip one track in .wav and one at 192kb/s vbr and compare the two, then bump up the bitrate a notch at a time if needed.

tks again,

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 09-25-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Blog Entries

A header is only used in SynchroMuse. AudioStrobe uses a 19khz signal on the left or right channel interspersed with the music to control the lights.
    Try the formats from the other threads regarding this subject and see if they work for you. If not, then up the rate or change the format until it works. I personally have no idea what format will work the best, other than .wav. Perhaps inquire with the people that have done this experimentation if you need more details.

Thread Information