Thread: headphone notes & question

Default headphone notes & question

first, a quick note that i had problems with two brands/types of headphones:

creative zen (inside ear) headphones had a loud hiss or static noise with the procyon on but not running a session even with volume and light controls all the way down.

koss portapro headphones, when plugged in, caused a 'short' of some type. i thought i had destroyed the unit. merely touching it would cause it to turn off or to cut the sound in and out. i suspect the plug was undersize or oversize (most likely oversize and spreading the jack apart) although i had no way to measure down to that level.

so if i understand the principal correctly, the procyon outputs frequencies as low as 4hz or below. but no headphones i'm aware of--even the very very best--will render frequencies below about 18hz. many older folks hearing doesn't extend down near that low (18hz) anyway. so this seems like a contradiction, how does this work?

are the headphones supplied with the unit special in some way? from the feel of them they don't inspire much confidence--they resemble any pair you could pick up from the local electronic discounter for $8.99 although i haven't tested them for sound reproduction using a known source or compared them against other sets i own.

/guy
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Blog Entries

Default Re: headphone notes & question

Hi Guy;

The low frequencies are modulations of a carrier wave. The actual tones are no lower than 60hz at any time.

-Andy.

Default Re: headphone notes & question

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi Guy;

The low frequencies are modulations of a carrier wave. The actual tones are no lower than 60hz at any time.

-Andy.
    ah! that would explain it.

thanks,

/guy
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Thread Information