Thread: Programming Sessions for colour fidelity

1. Default Programming Sessions for colour fidelity

I'm experimenting a little with programming sessions for colour visuals on the Procyon. I'll add to this thread as I find anything worth reporting, for the interest and discussion of anybody wanting to make their own visual sessions. It doesn't require more than booting up the session editor and looping a short phrase while one tinkers with the settings with the glasses on.

*What I have discovered so far is that blue's visibilty is very dependent on the flash frequency, almost as if the mind needs time to fill in the flash after image with perception of blue colour field. At faster frequencies sensation of blue ( running on its own ) almost disappears, but at a lower threshold frequency it becomes suddenlt much stronger clearly in the space of the after-image .I wonder also if the eye being much more sensitive in the blue wavelength causes the pupils to contract when the stream of blue is more solid , but to relax when the piulses are less like a sustained wall of light. I'll come up with some numbers later.

For that matter it would be interesting to know how sensitive the pupil contraction response is at differnt frequencies as this may have a bearing on the perception of brightness and colour in AVS.

* Sensitivity of the eye to the red lights is much higher due to the eyelid acting like a red filter.

Running RED/Green at 12HZ 180 degree out of phase ( alternate flashing ) , I had to lower the red brightness to a level of only 30 ( out of a max level of 256 ) and keep the Green at 256 , to reach a point where my sensations of individual red and green images were of equal brightness and saturation . At a R level of 20 the G dominated and brighter than R 30 the red dominates.. These ratios may change with different strobing rates. Perceptions seem to a complex mix of physiology of raw colour perception and afterimages.

Hope this kind of stuff inspires more people to experiment. I think learning the bodies response from the point of view of colour perception in AVS is a starting point to using the colour potential of this machine to its fullest. Using simple RGB colour mixing theory doesn't seem to apply when taking into account afterimages and eyelid filtration: the reality of the situation seems far less tangible but neverthless very exciting. The field of exploration in 3 colour AVS seems to be wide open and we've got the first commercial 3 colour machine to experiment with ! :-)
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 08-24-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: Programming Sessions for colour fidelity

This kind of research is really great. Isn't that the reason we all got the Procyon? For the color?

I guess it makes sense our eyelids would tint everything red. I'll see if I can try some of this stuff myself.

Please keep us updated with any new developments

Thread Information