Thread: subjective/objective indicators of entrainment

1. Unhappy subjective/objective indicators of entrainment

9/20/08

hello,

Just wondering if Marisa, or anyone else out there had some feedback on this topic. I understand that it takes a period of time (average of 6-10 minutes) for someone's brainwaves to become entrained to the desired frequencies, when doing any avs machine session. My personal indicators of a shift to entrainment are:

(1) I often feel a shift out of my normal moment to moment consciousness (I feel as though I have begun to mentally loose track of time)
    (2) quite often, my breathing patterns will change (slow down)
    (3) The thoughts in mind decrease/ my mind becomes more calmly
    focused

That being said, lately if become somewhat frustrated with my sessions. When I start the session, I seem to focus so much on uncomfortable sensations in my body (esecially tension in my wrists, and itches on my face), that it seems to prevent me from reaching and maintaining a state of entrainment.

On my last session, I tried to mentally tell myself as I began, not to focus on anything eccept the light and sound pulses. This seemed to help somewhat, but there seems to always be a part of my mind that is aware of the uncomfortable sensations in my body.

One final question I had. When doing a Proteus session, what is the best way to "allow the machine to entrain your mind". Is it best to focus somewhat intensely at the lights and sounds, or is it best to "allow the lights and sounds to hypnotize you, without much effort or intensity"?
    So, what subjective sensations do other people often
    experience when doing a session, that they use as indicators of entrainment?

Thank You!
    Last edited by oneironaut; 08-20-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: erase line

2. Default Re: subjective/objective indicators of entrainment

Hey Oneironaut,

I can't tell you the facts about how the Proteus works, you will need an experienced member like Marisa for that. Although, I can tell you my own experience with entrainment.

I only tried it for the first time a couple of days ago. But like you, I started really well -I was focused, free from distractions and generally had my mind at ease. But I found that after a couple of minutes, I began to get itchy in my face and I started to lose focuse. But I actually managed to find a solution that worked for me. I told myself that I would no longer allow myself to be distracted. And sure enough once I ignored the itching, it actually actually went away! I believed that it was my focus decreasing which allowed me to itch and fidget. Personally, I think the next time you should try your best to ignore it. It just passed for me, so hopefully it will do the same for you.

I hope I have helped you with at least one of your questions

Graham
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Default Re: subjective/objective indicators of entrainment

Quote Originally Posted by oneironaut View Post
    9/20/08

hello,

Just wondering if Marisa, or anyone else out there had some feedback on this topic. I understand that it takes a period of time (average of 6-10 minutes) for someone's brainwaves to become entrained to the desired frequencies, when doing any avs machine session. My personal indicators of a shift to entrainment are:

(1) I often feel a shift out of my normal moment to moment consciousness (I feel as though I have begun to mentally loose track of time)
    (2) quite often, my breathing patterns will change (slow down)
    (3) The thoughts in mind decrease/ my mind becomes more calmly
    focused

That being said, lately if become somewhat frustrated with my sessions. When I start the session, I seem to focus so much on uncomfortable sensations in my body (especially tension in my wrists, and itches on my face), that it seems to prevent me from reaching and maintaining a state of entrainment.
    Normally the beginning of a session is in a Beta or SMR frequency. This is a frequency close to the state you are likely in when you begin the session. The session slowly ramps down to the target frequency, which is why you will not be entrained immediately. Use this time to allow your body to relax, fidget for a few moments and get settled in. Allow your mind to wander and allow your mind to follow what ever patterns they want to. In doing this, you are allowing your mind to become more passive and open to the entrainment.

On my last session, I tried to mentally tell myself as I began, not to focus on anything eccept the light and sound pulses. This seemed to help somewhat, but there seems to always be a part of my mind that is aware of the uncomfortable sensations in my body.
    Instead of telling your mind what "not" to do, tell it what you want it to do. For example, tell yourself to "Watch the lights and look for patterns". Allow yourself to wonder if you stare (through closed eyes) straight ahead what effects do you notice. What happens if you allow your eyes to wander and follow the light patterns? In turning your attention to your experience, your mind will naturally focus on what is happening in the now and not on other subjects.

When you are relaxed and occupied by the lights, you'll likely forget about uncomfortable sensations in your body. If your body feels uncomfortable, acknowledge it and tell yourself to make yourself comfortable.

Remember: Always focus on what you do want instead of what you don't want because the mind always goes toward what you are thinking about. So, if you think about being uncomfortable - you will become more so. If you think about being comfortable - how good it feels to be lying down, how relaxing it is to shut your eyes, how good the lights feel upon your closed eyes - almost like the sun shining warmly upon you ... you will become more comfortable. You can also use this bit of "mind magick" in other aspects of your life as well.

One final question I had. When doing a Proteus session, what is the best way to "allow the machine to entrain your mind". Is it best to focus somewhat intensely at the lights and sounds, or is it best to "allow the lights and sounds to hypnotize you, without much effort or intensity"?
    Answered that above.

So, what subjective sensations do other people often
    experience when doing a session, that they use as indicators of entrainment?
    It merely feels relaxing, you may fall asleep, you may have a waking or sleeping dream, you may feel like you are out of your body floating in space. The experience is subjective.

Entrainment won't feel like anything different than a mild state change. When I was using the "concentration" program I didn't notice anything at the time because the change was gradual and subtle, yet powerful because one day I realized that I was reading a book and totally ignoring the TV in the background (which meant my concentration had improved).

When I use the AVS machine on a rejuvenation program, I may feel tired when I begin the session and when the session ends, I will feel refreshed and more alert.

Entrainment is the process of coaxing one set of brainwave frequencies to become dominant. Since it is a natural process for a set of brainwaves to be dominant, the change of the dominant frequency may not be dramatic - especially if the change is subtle.

Hope this helps ... if not ... keep on asking!

4. Smile Re: subjective/objective indicators of entrainment

hi Marisa!,

Thanks for the thorough answer to my question. I will follow your suggestions, and write you back if I have any further questions.

Bye!
    Last edited by Andy; 08-23-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Thread Information