Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a book?

1. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Well, I ordered 3 books.

"Your Brain: The Missing Manual" by Matthew MacDonald
    "Prometheus Rising" Robert Anton Wilson
    "Training the Mind (and cultivating loving-kindness)" Chogyam Trungpa

I'm about half way through "Your Brain" and I'm loving it! The ideal place to start.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ice View Post
    Well, I ordered 3 books.

"Your Brain: The Missing Manual" by Matthew MacDonald
    "Prometheus Rising" Robert Anton Wilson
    "Training the Mind (and cultivating loving-kindness)" Chogyam Trungpa

I'm about half way through "Your Brain" and I'm loving it! The ideal place to start.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone

The book "Your Brain: The Missing Manual" is an excellent book. I really enjoyed that one. You'll have to let me know if "Prometheus Rising" is any good.

M.

3. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    The book "Your Brain: The Missing Manual" is an excellent book. I really enjoyed that one. You'll have to let me know if "Prometheus Rising" is any good.

M.
    Yes, it truly is an amazing book. I will report back about "Prometheus Rising" for sure. I do hope it reaches expectation
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

4. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Hi Graham,

Saw your reference to the NLP for Dummies book on another thread and can say it is surely a useful book. My original reaction was poor, but after NLP Practitioner training I realised it was actually a well-written book!

Another good book just finished is Andrew Austin's 'The Rainbow Machine' that was introduced in an advert here on the forums:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=380

A really good practical book for you given your current interest in NLP. Lots of interesting stuff. I also read you actually emailed the fellow. He seems quite special, like our M here.

Take care.
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

5. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardHK View Post
    Hi Graham,

Saw your reference to the NLP for Dummies book on another thread and can say it is surely a useful book. My original reaction was poor, but after NLP Practitioner training I realised it was actually a well-written book!

Another good book just finished is Andrew Austin's 'The Rainbow Machine' that was introduced in an advert here on the forums:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=380

A really good practical book for you given your current interest in NLP. Lots of interesting stuff. I also read you actually emailed the fellow. He seems quite special, like our M here.

Take care.
    Hello Richard,

Indeed, "NLP for Dummies" looks like a bit of a mouthful at the moment but I hope it will help while I'm doing the Practitioner course (and certainly afterwards).

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good. Might be best to wait until after some training to fully understand and appreciate the book

Yes, I have indeed emailed Austin. I hadn't really thought he was this big of a deal at the time, I mean his own book and everything. Maybe I should have put more time into the email Have you ever spoken to him?

Another book recommended to be a good place to start, is "Introducing NLP" by Joseph O'Connor. Any idea about this one?

Cheers.
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Sorry to butt in ...

Hello Richard,

Indeed, "NLP for Dummies" looks like a bit of a mouthful at the moment but I hope it will help while I'm doing the Practitioner course (and certainly afterwards).
    It's a pretty good general NLP book.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good. Might be best to wait until after some training to fully understand and appreciate the book
    I find this to be the case with just about any NLP book. I definitely got much more out of them (and I have a lot of them) after I took the courses.

Yes, I have indeed emailed Austin. I hadn't really thought he was this big of a deal at the time, I mean his own book and everything. Maybe I should have put more time into the email Have you ever spoken to him?
    I have spoken to him a few times. He's also a dealer for Mindplace products in the UK. He has quite a few instructional videos on youtube and I did enjoy his book "Rainbow Machine" as well. It's not an instructional book though - it's more about some of his experiences.

Another book recommended to be a good place to start, is "Introducing NLP" by Joseph O'Connor. Any idea about this one?
    This is an excellent book which I've gone back to (for reference) time and time again. The NLP Workbook goes along with this book and it's equally useful.

I'm also a big fan of the books by Bob Bodenhamer and Michael Hall - The User's Manual for The Brain 1 & 2 in particular. Their book on Hypnotic Language is also really well done as is Sleight of Mouth by Dilts (one of my favorite books).

Cheers.

M.

7. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    I find this to be the case with just about any NLP book. I definitely got much more out of them (and I have a lot of them) after I took the courses.
    Yes, thats why it's important that I find a suitable book now (such as an introductory) until I do take the course. Thanks for the tip.

I have spoken to him a few times. He's also a dealer for Mindplace products in the UK. He has quite a few instructional videos on youtube and I did enjoy his book "Rainbow Machine" as well. It's not an instructional book though - it's more about some of his experiences.
    I'd imagine "Rainbow Machine" would be a good book for the more experienced person. Something to look out for in the future for sure.

This is an excellent book which I've gone back to (for reference) time and time again. The NLP Workbook goes along with this book and it's equally useful.
    Well thats positive! And its nice to know that its useful after the course aswell. Rather than an intro only. I'll be picking this up for sure.

I'm also a big fan of the books by Bob Bodenhamer and Michael Hall - The User's Manual for The Brain 1 & 2 in particular. Their book on Hypnotic Language is also really well done as is Sleight of Mouth by Dilts (one of my favorite books).
    Thanks for all the recommendations I'm looking forward to making my way through all these books Should keep me busy for a while at least

Cheers for the help
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

8. Default Re: Recommend a book?

... ... Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good. Might be best to wait until after some training to fully understand and appreciate the book

... ... [Andrew Austin] Have you ever spoken to him?

Cheers.
    Hi Graham,

I second Marisa's point that much of this NLP stuff only makes sense when you actually get to use it for real. My initial reading of the Dummies book made little sense, and I found it confusing. But after a few more books and some training, it clicked.

Have seen some Andrew Austin videos on youTube. Never talked to him. I like his Rainbow Machine due to its wide range of topics, and his easy reading style. Doesn't teach you anything directly, but helps to see how NLP is used in the real world.

Have not read "Introducing NLP" but have reserved it through local library system. Will have it this week. But read a number of JO's books and he does write well. He has written too many it seems, as some of them (Coaching with NLP, for example) is a little thin for content. But his Leadership with NLP is excellent.

Another thought for you might be to try and buy a second-hand set of Anthony Robbins Personal Power II CD set. I did this a few months ago and found his technique to be 98% NLP. His style is a little heavy, but you cannot complain with his content. I paid USD50 for his 25 CDs, so did ok. Check Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.

Those User Manuals for the Brain that Marisa mentioned are great too. Dip into those very often. Let me think of some more. Reluctant to give too many suggestions as books cost lotsa $$$ and you need some practical help for best results.

Talk again soon.
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Blog Entries

Another thought for you might be to try and buy a second-hand set of Anthony Robbins Personal Power II CD set. I did this a few months ago and found his technique to be 98% NLP. His style is a little heavy, but you cannot complain with his content. I paid USD50 for his 25 CDs, so did ok. Check Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.
    I agree with Richard on the Anthony Robbins CDs. I really enjoyed the Personal Power Series and they aren't that expensive. I was impressed by the quality of the CDs as well. Definitely worth while.

Speaking of quality of cds, I had bought Bandlers DHE cd set for a considerable amount more than Robbins stuff and was really disappointed in the poor quality of the cds. You can hear heavy breathing throughout the recording and the volume levels fluctuate. It's too bad because I do enjoy Bandler's work. I did complain to the company that I bought the cds from and they ignored my email. Sigh. I will not buy any more Bandler Cds because I do not trust the recording quality. Besides, Bandler is endorsing the wrong AVS company (a company that I have a very good reason to dislike). A thump on the head to him for that.

M.

Thread Information