Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a book?

1. Default Recommend a book?

Hey,

Has anyone got any book recommendations regarding the mind?

At the moment I am reading the Mind Gym but I'm beginning to lose interest. Has anyone got any recommendations for a new book for myself? I am new to exploring the mind so perhaps an introductory into understanding such would be cool. I was trying to get my hands on Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson but it's unavailable in all book shops in my area so I gave up. If anyone has an alternative please share it with me

Thanks,
    Graham
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

2. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Graham,

Prometheus Rising is surely a great book. It is available on Amazon, but have you checked a local library? I get most of my books from the library system (which admittably is world class here) before buying. Works well most of the time.

For other books on the mind, have you thought/read about NLP? Again, a library should have some good ones. Can recommend a few of these if interested. Not that many good 'mind' books around so far, but still looking.
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

3. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardHK View Post
    Graham,

Prometheus Rising is surely a great book. It is available on Amazon, but have you checked a local library? I get most of my books from the library system (which admittably is world class here) before buying. Works well most of the time.

For other books on the mind, have you thought/read about NLP? Again, a library should have some good ones. Can recommend a few of these if interested. Not that many good 'mind' books around so far, but still looking.
    I'll be sure to look into Prometheus Rising a bit more. My local library doesn't have a good collection of these kind of books at all -but I will certainly give it a go. I tried Amazon but I think it was out of stock... And besides, I've already been waiting a month for a book from them and am expected to be waiting at least another 30days before it arrives So a faster method would certainly be useful (which takes me back to my local library/ shops).

If you can recommend any NLP books that would be great. Might be able to get one locally and then order Prometheus Rising.

Thank you, Richard
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ice View Post
    Hey,

Has anyone got any book recommendations regarding the mind?

At the moment I am reading the Mind Gym but I'm beginning to lose interest. Has anyone got any recommendations for a new book for myself? I am new to exploring the mind so perhaps an introductory into understanding such would be cool. I was trying to get my hands on Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson but it's unavailable in all book shops in my area so I gave up. If anyone has an alternative please share it with me

Thanks,
    Graham
    Hmm where to start, let's see, since you like Robert Anton Wilson, you may like his "Quantum Psychology". It's listed as "in stock" on Amazon.com. I noticed that they have Prometheus Rising also in stock. I've read Quantum Psychology but haven't read Prometheus Rising. Wilson's books do talk about the mind but they also go into the realm of the esoteric.

A good basic book that is strictly on the Brain & mind is, "Your Brain: The Missing Manual (How to get the most from your mind)" by Matthew MacDonald. I really like the way the author presents the information in this book, it's basic and yet informative and gives a good understanding to the reader on how the brain works and why.

Depending on what specific information you are looking for depends on what other books I can recommend for you.

M.

5. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Hmm where to start, let's see, since you like Robert Anton Wilson, you may like his "Quantum Psychology". It's listed as "in stock" on Amazon.com. I noticed that they have Prometheus Rising also in stock. I've read Quantum Psychology but haven't read Prometheus Rising. Wilson's books do talk about the mind but they also go into the realm of the esoteric.

A good basic book that is strictly on the Brain & mind is, "Your Brain: The Missing Manual (How to get the most from your mind)" by Matthew MacDonald. I really like the way the author presents the information in this book, it's basic and yet informative and gives a good understanding to the reader on how the brain works and why.

Depending on what specific information you are looking for depends on what other books I can recommend for you.

M.
    Yes, I should have been a bit more specific.

I'll be sure to look for both Robert Anton Wilson's books and also Matthew MacDonald's. Thanks Marisa!

I will, however, be using these as a place to begin. I guess the aim of the thread was not only to find a book for myself to get started, but is also to discover what area's some people here are working on themselves. I'm interested to see where I can advance once I do read one of the listed books. If anyone is willing to share, I would love to know!

Thanks,
    Graham
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Blog Entries

Hi Graham,

Quote Originally Posted by G-ice View Post
    Yes, I should have been a bit more specific.

I'll be sure to look for both Robert Anton Wilson's books and also Matthew MacDonald's. Thanks Marisa!

I will, however, be using these as a place to begin. I guess the aim of the thread was not only to find a book for myself to get started, but is also to discover what area's some people here are working on themselves. I'm interested to see where I can advance once I do read one of the listed books. If anyone is willing to share, I would love to know!

Thanks,
    Graham
    The ultimate is mastery over your mind. The ability to change your mood and state of mind at will. To be able to detect limiting beliefs and thoughts and be able to change them. To understand your mind and the reasons behind yours and others behaviors. To be able to induce an altered state of mind at will. To recognize when others are trying to influence and be able to make a choice. To be able to gain rapport with anyone, in any situation and influence the outcome favorably.

Those are some of the accomplishments that can be had with this and related knowledge. Unfortunately there is not one book that will get you all of this. You do have to begin somewhere though.

If this sort of thing interests you, I highly recommend that you take an NLP Practitioners course. It's life changing and gets you well on your way to accomplishing all of this in the shortest period of time. NLP teaches you the tools for understanding your mind and how to change it. Your other studies will round out your knowledge.

In the meantime, get ready to do lots of reading, research and introspection. Practice being observant and objective and yet critical about what information you choose to accept or believe.

M.

7. Default Re: Recommend a book?

That's some great advise Marisa, thank you
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

8. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Hello,

Prometheus Rising is freely available via Scribd. Prometheus Rising

You don't have to read it online. But to make the PDF download you have to register. Which is free.

Blog Entries

Thanks GreenDragon!

10. Default Re: Recommend a book?

Sound mate
    Is ?ireannaigh m?

Thread Information