Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer--waiting for Procyon to arrive

Default Newcomer--waiting for Procyon to arrive

Greetings,

I wanted to introduce myself and read the available literature while I wait (patiently) for my b-day when I hope to receive a Procyon AVS system.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student with ADHD and a dissociative disorder and hope to use the colors/strobes, etc., to relax.

I am looking forward to learning about the various programs and techniques.

Excitedly waiting,

--Scott

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newcomer--waiting for Procyon to arrive

Welcome, Scott!

I hope you find the forum useful.

-Andy.

Blog Entries

Hi Scott,

Quote Originally Posted by electronguy View Post
    Greetings,

I wanted to introduce myself and read the available literature while I wait (patiently) for my b-day when I hope to receive a Procyon AVS system.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student with ADHD and a dissociative disorder and hope to use the colors/strobes, etc., to relax.

I am looking forward to learning about the various programs and techniques.

Excitedly waiting,

--Scott
    Welcome to the forum,

I don't know anything about dissociative disorder but I do know that the Procyon should be able to help you with the ADHD. You will want to use Beta (SMR) based programs which will help you improve your concentration ability. Usually people with ADHD have Theta as a dominant brainwave inappropriately (such as when you want to concentrate) and the AVS machine should help turn that around.

You may also find that the SMR/Beta frequencies are more relaxing to you while the literature you read will say that Theta is more relaxing. If I recall correctly, stimulants have the opposite affect on ADD so what you need may vary slightly than the average person.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results.

M.

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

I have installed the V2.2 software on my Vista machine to check out its features and try to get used to it so I can get started right away. Pretty cool and right up my alley!

Stress/anxiety are real killers for me, so even if the lights provide more "entertainment" than "entrainment" that's alright, too.

My next semester starts in a couple of weeks and it's going to be stressful--I have the hardest time multitasking and find it much easier to do one thing at a time. However, life doesn't always allow that freedom, and from what I'm reading so far, I think that the Procyon is certainly a step in the right direction.

My therapist is very interested in this type of therapy, also. My "multiple personalities" are fairly integrated now (towards the recovery end of the healing process), and I've heard that the light therapy may trigger latent memories (PTSD). I am capable of handling the memories and am actually looking forward to explore more of this complicated subject.

I'll let you know my results; and thanks again for the nice welcome.

--Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by electronguy View Post
    Stress/anxiety are real killers for me, so even if the lights provide more "entertainment" than "entrainment" that's alright, too.
    How do you know that there is no entrainment happening?

My next semester starts in a couple of weeks and it's going to be stressful--I have the hardest time multitasking and find it much easier to do one thing at a time. However, life doesn't always allow that freedom, and from what I'm reading so far, I think that the Procyon is certainly a step in the right direction.
    Try to look at your next semester as "challenging" instead of "stressful". Multitasking is not ideal for you anyway because you will lose some of the concentration and it is more difficult to remember something if you are not focused on only one thing. So - keep the focus on one thing at a time, especially when learning.

Remember: The mind creates the reality you think about so if you think about being stressed, then you will become stressed. Think about being calm and competent and you will get there. Think about how to be calm and competent. What steps to take to get there. What that would feel like and so forth. Those are the things to think about.

My therapist is very interested in this type of therapy, also. My "multiple personalities" are fairly integrated now (towards the recovery end of the healing process), and I've heard that the light therapy may trigger latent memories (PTSD). I am capable of handling the memories and am actually looking forward to explore more of this complicated subject.
    Theta sessions can trigger past memories though it doesn't happen to everyone. You may want to stick with Alpha/SMR sessions for a while and perhaps you can work with your therapist on a plan of action if a latent memory does erupt.

I'll let you know my results; and thanks again for the nice welcome.
    I'm looking forward to it.

M.

I got me new Procyon yesterday, and its everything I hoped it would be!

I just went through the USB driver installation at http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=558 for XP and it worked very well.

I am having some difficulty with the Audiostrobe software; I have Adobe Audition 1.5 for file conversion but the installed PCM formats don't seem to make the AS software happy.

just to follow up, I have indeed figured out which of 4 different PCM wav modes to use in Audition; turns out it is the Windows PCM, not MicrosoftPCM or IntelPCM or the other 2 I forget what they are called now.

Now to figure out how to use the AS program....

Wonderful! I have to wait 'til Saturday...

I've been researching the information re: AudioStrobe and SyncrhoMuse, too. I found from the editor manual that we type "enhance" and we can create the AS material.

I use SONAR 7 Producer as a MIDI/Audio program, but nothing I have reads .RAW WAV files (Audition might), so I may have to write a program that adds a header so that I can create the AS file from SONAR.

I'm glad it's everything you hoped for--I'm expecting the same! This week has been l...o...n...g...

Best,
    --Scott

The AS software is locked in demo mode; if you can write a workaround with another available software PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your results here!

Really ticks me off the AS app is locked and won't play for more than 30 seconds; nor can you save.

Wow! The Procyon is going to come in very handy indeed. My initial impressions are very favorable. It's amazing just how many everyday distractions completely vanish with this device...some colors seem to yield a sensation of being in a huge universe, yet I'm completely at peace and unafraid.

With my dissociative disorder, I frequently feel small, squeezed in, like I'm in my own world and shut out from the rest. With the 3-4 sessions that I've used so far (I'm LOVIN' #19), I am gaining insights into how the Procyon can help.

I plan on making it a daily waking up meditation and will certainly bring it to the university.

Now the big question is: can MindPlace make enough of these units when 35,000 students see me with flashing lights on my head and they ALL want one

This is one of the best birthdays I've had in my 42 years; it's nice to have a positive outlook.

Best regards,
    --Scott

Thread Information