Thread: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

1. Talking connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

Hello,

Okay. Here is my question. I own a Proteus. I don't have a CD Player, but wish to play audiostrobe CDs on a computer, . In the instruction manual it says that for best results for Audiostrobe "we strongly suggest that you connect the LINE output of your CD player to the AUX input of Proteus, and connect your headphones directly to your CD player." Is there anyway to achieve this connection plan on a computer? My computer has a line out jack ,in the back, where one would normally connect computer speakers to. Is this the same as LINE output? My computer also has a headphone jack in the front

If anybody out there knows
    the answer to my question, please respond.

Thanks.s
    Last edited by oneironaut; 08-13-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: misspell

Blog Entries

Default Re: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

Quote Originally Posted by oneironaut View Post
    My computer has a line out jack ,in the back, where one would normally connect computer speakers to. Is this the same as LINE output? My computer also has a headphone jack in the front
    Hello;

On most PCs, when you connect to the front headphone jack, it turns off the rear "line out" jack. You could try this, but you may not be able to get them to both work at the same time.

The best solution would be to purchase a headphone splitter cable. These can be found at any place that sells MP3 players or other electronics. They are normally used to connect 2 sets of headphones to one music player.

Plug that splitter into the line out OR headphone jack on your PC, and connect one of the outputs to the AUX input on the Proteus, the other to your headphones. Crank it up, sit back and enjoy!

-Andy.

3. Default Re: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

I'm sorry Andy but wouldn't that be a bit unnecesary?
    Why couldn't you just connect the Proteus to either the headphone jack OR the line out jack and then connect the headphone to the Proteus? Or am I missing something? This way you don't need a splitter.

The only difference between the line out jack and the headphone jack would be that you could adjust the volume on the headphone jack. Or is it possible to adjust the line out jack volume also?

I do believe the LINE output on a CD player has a fixed volume. This would make it easier to connect since the audistrobe signal may not trigger the glasses if the signal volume is to low. Which could happen if you used the headphone output. This in turn gives you an additional, if somewhat unapropriate, way of adjusting the brightness of your goggles
    Last edited by GreenDragon; 08-14-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Extra explanation audiostrobe

Blog Entries

Default Re: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

Hello again;

You could certainly try connecting the headphones to the Proteus as you suggest, but you may find the volume level lower than you like. If it works for you, however, then you are correct - it would be much simpler!

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

-Andy.

5. Default Re: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

Hmmmm it apears to come down to a balancing act.

You mean the volume level might be lower than I like if I used the LINE connection?
    Because if I use the headphone connection I can crank the source volume up and then I have plenty of volume on the Proteus so that I can even lower the volume there. But maybe a high source volume might interfere with the Audiostrobe signal. For me it works perfectly using the headphone jack (on my MP3 player that is) I adjust the volume until the light is at a good strenght and then use the Proteus audio dial to lower the volume if neccesary.

6. Default Re: connecting proteus to computer for audiostrobe

I find with all my portable audio gear that when I set the headphone output level on my device to get a full range audiostrobe response ( ie lights not clipping on solidly ) on the machine, that headphone sound level on the AVS machine is inevitably too soft.

I'm going to but an external multi headphone out box with 3 outs and individual volumes to solve the problem ( ie to drive the AVS machine and plug the headphones directly into the amp.)

Thread Information