Thread: Binaural - 'Binoptical' just a thought...

Question Binaural - 'Binoptical' just a thought...

Way back in the ark ages I bought a Mindlab..
    Loved it, ok, monochrome lights and mono beeps, but hey, it was cool.

Just recently got into a discussion on here somewhere about synchronisation between ligts and sound for the binaural features of the procyon, explaining that I mix externally generated binaurals with both the sound and light features of the 'P' without worying too much about the 'phase', suggesting that the worst that woul happen would be a kind of 'cross sensory' binaural...if such a thing exists. This reminded me that the old mindlab had the feature of running the left and right lights alternately (expand mode) and that was quite funky......

Got me thinking.. O.K. is there such a thing as a BinOPTICAL beat...?
    Do we have to perceive the binaural like we do with a soundwave, in order for our heads to latch onto it ?

Has anyone experimented with (like you guys at Mindplace or similar) with the idea of presenting slightly differing frequencies of light pulses to each side of the frames.

After all, both types are sending impulses through your head, so something must happen ?

Has anyone else got any info or thoughts re this....?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Binaural - 'Binoptical' just a thought...

Hi Crippin,

Quote Originally Posted by crippin View Post
    Way back in the ark ages I bought a Mindlab..
    Loved it, ok, monochrome lights and mono beeps, but hey, it was cool.

Just recently got into a discussion on here somewhere about synchronisation between ligts and sound for the binaural features of the procyon, explaining that I mix externally generated binaurals with both the sound and light features of the 'P' without worying too much about the 'phase', suggesting that the worst that woul happen would be a kind of 'cross sensory' binaural...if such a thing exists. This reminded me that the old mindlab had the feature of running the left and right lights alternately (expand mode) and that was quite funky......

Got me thinking.. O.K. is there such a thing as a BinOPTICAL beat...?
    Do we have to perceive the binaural like we do with a soundwave, in order for our heads to latch onto it ?

Has anyone experimented with (like you guys at Mindplace or similar) with the idea of presenting slightly differing frequencies of light pulses to each side of the frames.

After all, both types are sending impulses through your head, so something must happen ?

Has anyone else got any info or thoughts re this....?
    I asked Robert about this and here was his response:

Actually, you can deliver 'beat' frequencies via the Proteus or Procyon. Some of the sessions use this approach. You can try it: set one channel to 10 Hz and the other to 10.1 or 10.2, and you'll notice the visual beat frequencies.

Not quite the same as audio binaural beats, which is a strictly stereo effect--but analogous to 'monoaural beats', in which the two frequencies are delivered to the same ear

M.

Thread Information