Thread: the ability of music to induce trance

1. Default the ability of music to induce trance

Hello! I?ve read that certain kinds of music played at certain frequencies, like tribal drumming and spiritual chanting, can produce the entrainment effect in the listener?s mind. One online source explained that the beat of the shaman?s drum ?struck four and one half times per second? corresponds to the theta state.

I?m really fascinated by this, but I?m not very learned in the world of music and I can?t quite make sense of how a drum could possibly be struck by a human hand as quickly as four and a half times a second. Is this a question of semantics, and I?m missing something here? Are they perhaps referring to a group drum circle scenario, in which many hands might be able to hit the beats at that astonishing rate...?

Anyone?s thoughts on the matter appreciated...!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Spacecat; 06-28-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Default Re: the ability of music to induce trance

Hi Spacecat,
    This is not fast for a skilled musician. To get full representation of musical nuance timings down to 1/100th of a second are thought relevant.

May not be your choice in music but you will see some relevant bongo work here. Then listen to what the 19 year old on standard kit can do
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Note that binaural beat usage to generate Theta (or other) frequencies appear to work differently to directly perceived sounds. The beats create a stimulus that has a perceived outside position that is anomalous with normal experience. This appears to lead to significant synchronous brain activity which is very likely attempting to interpret the contradiction.

Also relevant. here is that the neural process develops and is reinforced by repeated experience. Thus the Shaman may be sensitised to the drum stimulus whilst the effect on those less familiar will very likely be lessened. If you find some fun or useful things with either music and/or AVS it is worth using these for 4 months and you should find the effects become easier to initiate and more intense.

Interesting area and good to see it aired on the forum.
    Regards,
    Bob

3. Default Re: the ability of music to induce trance

Spacecat,

Drumming and mind entrainment are as old as drums (and creative minds?) themselves. Nothing new as they say here. Do a search on YouTube for shamanic drumming and similar.

As Bob notes, those low frequency beats are easy for a skilled drummer, and particularly powerful for groups of drummers - or even any kind of percussion, even bellringers in church towers!

Don't lose your fascination for this as it is a really wonderful area of 'music'. Does not need playing skills - just sit/lay back listen and enjoy. Much more to music than meets the eye - urrr ear.
    Last edited by Marisa; 06-30-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo correction :-)
    Richard, Hong Kong
    richardhk dot com
    ------------------------

Thread Information