Thread: Binaural beats

1. Default Binaural beats

I would like to experiment with real binaural beats on my Proteus.( ie generated with a continuous tone of slightly different frequency in each ear.

Is it possible to do this with the software programming editor for making user programmes?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Binaural beats

Absolutely!

Go to the Proteus support page and download the manuals and tutorials, read through them and they will walk you through it all.

Post back if you encounter any difficulties.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: Binaural beats

Thanks Andy , I have downloaded all the relevent softwares. I was wondering how down at the lower frequencies , you would keep the apparent beats in phase with the light pulses which I imagine are generated independently.

Blog Entries

I think once you get into it you'll get the hang of it very quickly. Read through the documentation, and use the "View Realtime" function to test out your sessions before uploading them to the Proteus.

Others may have some suggestions on good BB programming techniques, but unfortuately, I'm not that guy!

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Thanks Andy , I have downloaded all the relevent softwares. I was wondering how down at the lower frequencies , you would keep the apparent beats in phase with the light pulses which I imagine are generated independently.
    From my experience doing the same thing, i.e. setting up a binaural on the procyon and imitating the 'beat' frequency on the lightframes, it seems to work even though there's no guarantee that everything starts (and continues to run) from the same 'phase'. As an example, I use SBGEN to record long sessions onto minidisc, and run these back through the procyon with a corresponding set of frequencies on the lightframes. Even adding the procyon binaurals alongside that from the MD at times..

If anything, the risk that these sources might be slightly 'out of phase' with each other almost adds to the experience, I suppose the analogy here is that of a group of singers. It's very unlikely that the voices are in phase with one another, but the small differences in that, and the quality of each individual voice actually adds to the experience, as opposed to detract....

I suppose all that would happen if the two sources are out of sync on the procyon is tht you will get a peculiar 'second binural' produced by the difference in phase between the light on the one hand, and the sound on the other (weird - I wonder how the brain deals with that !)... Hah, maybe that's something to try, a cross sensory binaural !!!!!

In the meantime, have a look at using one of the colours as a modulator for the sound, as that will certainly emphasize the impact of both.

-Crippin.
    Last edited by crippin; 07-05-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo

6. Default Re: Binaural beats

Thanks Crippin for your detailed reply. I like your analogy with the choir.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that the binaural`beat' could drift 180 degree out of phase with light flash. Would that mean that the effect might be nullifid or that the entrainment might happen at twice the intended frequency. I guess its all theoretical at the moment, and your practical experience is that it is not a problem, so Ijust need to get my feet wet I guess

First thing I have to get is a USB to Serial converter as my new PC doesn't have a serial port.

Thread Information