Thread: Alpha/Theta Learning vs Beta Recall

Default Alpha/Theta Learning vs Beta Recall

What first spotted me thinking was about this was a post on state dependent learning... now, it was later cleared up.. but, basically state dependent memory states you will remember something best while in the same state, and have poorer recall when not in the same state as the material was learned.

So, this got me thinking since im wont be taking my exam while in alpha/theta... I will be in beta.... however, if I used my mind machine to super learn, the material would be learned in alpha/theta, but recalled in beta

so, my question is: will the learning abilities of alpha be stronger than the recall drop when in a different state??

I suggest setting up a study (I may do this, and post the result if others are interested), basically it will be a cross-sectional design..

With,

Learning with MindMachine
    Learning without MindMachine

crossed with

Recall with MindMachine
    Recall without MindMachine
    --------

so, there will be 2 x 2 = 4 tests per trial
    consisting of:

Learning with MindMachine|Recall with MindMachine
    Learning with MindMachine|Recall without MindMachine
    Learning without MindMachine|Recall with MindMachine
    Learning without MindMachine|Recall without MindMachine

For the learning task: a participant will be shown a list of 10 words (short one syllable ones), and given a certain amount of time to memorize them

Then, after a period: the participants will be asked to recall the words, and the percentage of words recalled will be recorded.
    --
    Another period would have to be placed between each test: because otherwise you would get some cognitive interference going on between previously learned words, and ones you now need to memorize.
    --

Now, do this x number of times, on y number of participants, and then we could get some nice yummy statistics regarding how well the mind machines improved learning.

hmm... actually another addition to this would maybe make it double blind placebo test.. just cause perhaps the fact of believing you are in hyper learning mode would make you learn it better nonetheless. So, maybe make a placebo group where they were told they were getting a hyperlearning alpha/theta, but really got a beta or something neutral.

I dont know just a couple of ideas... if people are interested I could write up a program or something that has a bank of short words, and displays a random 10 words, then after a period asks you to input them again... I could even make the program record which test (from above) you would be doing... then all the data could be uploaded and we could get some really good results of mind machine effectiveness, and auto-calculated so it perhaps could be a website you visit to see the realtime stats of the trials.
    ....... or however, its all good.. I may just do a small N study to get some basic information on the effectiveness ... either way Ill post any findings
    Last edited by gotxp; 06-11-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alpha/Theta Learning vs Beta Recall

It would be interesting to see a study done on this subject. There is one thing to consider in this study: Recall depends on a few different factors and not just brain state, so how would you differentiate between brain wave state and the other factors associated with learning, memory and recall. In addition, how would you know for sure (without EEG) whether the person was actually in the said state?

Here are something other things to consider.

Beta (16 - 24 Hz) is associated with alertness and psychological arousal. It's not the best learning state. SMR (12-15 Hz) is associated with a quiet body, active mind, rational, analytical thinking. This is the best state to study in. Alpha/Theta is the best state to process the information so that it is stored into memory. Processing that which you have learned is largely an unconscious process.

I have some questions about the subject of State Dependent Learning and I'm not sure I fully agree with the principle.

A phobia, for example, is a really good one time learning that got anchored because of a highly emotional state. A person does not have to return to that state in order to remember and react to the object of the phobia. Being in a highly emotional state is not a mentally or emotionally healthy way to study.

In NLP we use a technique called "anchoring" which can trigger recall regardless of state. Sometimes we unconsciously create anchors which can either encourage recall or impede recall.

A person under hypnosis (theta) can be given a post hypnotic command which they will remember and respond to when they are awake and alert (in a different state).

The best state for studying and going into an exam is a relaxed state and that can be anything from SMR to Alpha.

What would be interesting would be for a person to be under hypnosis when learning and a post hypnotic command of perfect recall occurring the moment you sit down to write the test. Now that would be interesting.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the subject.

M.
    Last edited by Marisa; 06-11-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Default Re: Alpha/Theta Learning vs Beta Recall

thanks for the reply man

well first I will clarify the state dependent memory thing... it doesnt say you cant recall something learned in one state, recalled in another.. it just says you will be better at remembering it in the same state as learned.

say someone got a phobia of spiders in a barn.. although it would still be a general phobia I would say if they saw a spider in a barn, there would be more of a physiological arousal than if a spider was seen elsewhere; however, the arousal would exist nonetheless.

it also works for places... if you learn something in a lecture room, you will remember it best in the same lecture room. You still will remember say in the exam gym... however, studies have shown recall would have been higher if you were tested in the same place..

its basically, you set up cues while you learn it at an implicit level. Say, I relate something to how im feeling, or I like an image of a concept to the image in the room.. then later on that will act to prime my memory. Basically if you are in the same state/place you will have more access to cues that could prime the memory than if you were in a different state/place.

so, like with NLP anchors although they work regardless of place/state. I would say the anchor would have a higher trigger probability in the same state/place as when it was originally anchored.
    ---

although there are many factors affecting recall.. if the study was done with everything controlled except presence of an alpha inducing entrainment. then you could at very least get some good relational data, of an alpha stimuli (audio & video) on a simple short term memory task (say memorizing 10 short words, and then asked to recall them later).

I see what you are saying, for better results an eeg would have to ensure a state was reached... but, if say you listened to an alpha stimuli for 10 minutes, then did the task (while still having the alpha stimuli) then you could just show relation of an alpha stimuli for 10minutes on recall.. then state, that it was not verified that the participant was in an alpha state... or perhaps use a GSR until the resistance was lowered by a certain percent.. but, yeah an eeg would be ideal...
    ..but, most people using it for studying assume they are in that state while learning the material with the stimulus, so the experiment would keep those constraints to maintain external validity (generalizability). Granted internal validity would take a bit of a hit, however if you were trying to show the effect of a 10minute long alpha entrainment on recall, then the results would still be accurate.

I may design a program to test this... I think with the right controls it would still give very useful information. At the very least I know by seeing statistics that the entrainment helped my own recall, I would be more motivated to use it for that purpose more often.. kinda thing...

Thread Information