Thread: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

1. Default The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Hello everyone! In researching this amazing field I've come across the consensus that a minimum program length of around 5-6 minutes is required to entrain brainwaves to the stimulation frequency.

Does anyone know where this idea came from? Where is the research that indicates the necessity of this minimum exposure time?

Will a program length of say, 3 minutes, have no entrainment effect on my brain at all?

Any leads/info would be most appreciated!

-thanks-

~spacecat

Blog Entries

Default Re: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Hi Spacecat,

Quote Originally Posted by Spacecat View Post
    Hello everyone! In researching this amazing field I've come across the consensus that a minimum program length of around 5-6 minutes is required to entrain brainwaves to the stimulation frequency.

Does anyone know where this idea came from? Where is the research that indicates the necessity of this minimum exposure time?

Will a program length of say, 3 minutes, have no entrainment effect on my brain at all?

-thanks-

~spacecat
    It depends on a few things. First it depends on what state of mind the person is in before using the program. If they are in a relaxed state and use a relaxation program, their brain doesn't have that far to go and so the entrainment would happen more quickly. Alternately, if they are in a stressed state (high beta) and wish to relax, it will likely take their brain longer to be coaxed into that state.

I think (and this is only my opinion) that three minutes would not be enough to do anything. I think that the minimum amount of time would be ten minutes. Still, everyone is different and what may take one person ten minutes may take another twenty or fifty. Quicker is not necessarily better, just different.

Also the more a person uses a machine over time, the quicker the brain will be able to get into the desired state because it has undergone (en)training.

M.

3. Default Re: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Interesting -- thanks, Marisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    I think (and this is only my opinion) that three minutes would not be enough to do anything. I think that the minimum amount of time would be ten minutes.
    M.

I wonder about this. When I close my eyes against the dappled sunlight flickering through the treetops I get blown instantly into (what certainly feels like!) an alternate state of consciousness.

Unless I?m incorrect in assuming that this is the same mechanism through which mind machines work, SOMETHING must be happening to the brain immediately upon exposure. (Epileptics can respond almost immediately, albeit adversely, upon exposure, I thought...) Perhaps a solid ten minutes is required for optimal results, but it seems to me that the brain starts responding as soon as it's exposed to the stimulus frequency.

I'd love to find some research that discusses stimulus exposure length to dominant entrainment. How did science establish that x amount of minutes is a reasonable length of time to apply the stimulus and expect entrainment?

Anyone's 2 cents greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Hi Spacecat,

Quote Originally Posted by Space cat View Post
    Interesting -- thanks, Marisa!

I wonder about this. When I close my eyes against the dappled sunlight flickering through the treetops I get blown instantly into (what certainly feels like!) an alternate state of consciousness.
    I agree that it's possible to enter into an ASC instantly. I was referring to brain wave entrainment and changing state from let's say Beta to Theta (from a stressed state to a calm state).

Unless I’m incorrect in assuming that this is the same mechanism through which mind machines work, SOMETHING must be happening to the brain immediately upon exposure. (Epileptics can respond almost immediately, albeit adversely, upon exposure, I thought...) Perhaps a solid ten minutes is required for optimal results, but it seems to me that the brain starts responding as soon as it's exposed to the stimulus frequency.
    It depends on the person and the brain. Everyone is different so some may respond to AVS quicker than others.

Epileptic's immediate response is to flickering light, which in their case doesn't have anything to do with frequencies. A TV's flickering monitor can set off a seizure in a photosensitive epileptic.

I'd love to find some research that discusses stimulus exposure length to dominant entrainment. How did science establish that x amount of minutes is a reasonable length of time to apply the stimulus and expect entrainment?
    I'll see if I can find any information for you on this. It's a good question.

M.

5. Default Re: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge again, Marisa...!

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Hi Spacecat,

I agree that it's possible to enter into an ASC instantly. I was referring to brain wave entrainment and changing state from let's say Beta to Theta (from a stressed state to a calm state).

M.
    Ohh okay yes, I can see that I erred in not making a distinction between the general realm of ASC and the more specific phenomenon of brain wave entrainment. Two separate concepts!

And regarding the question of how science established that x amount of minutes is a reasonable length of time to apply the stimulus and expect entrainment, any information you could find would be most appreciated... thanks!

6. Default Re: The relationship between program length and efficacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacecat View Post

-thanks-

~spacecat
    You could find out for your own brain using an EEG machine, which measures brainwaves. Check out http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html
    You can build your own fairly cheaply -- $200 or so, or buy one ready made for a good bit more.
    Or just trying it with a L&S machine -- it's pretty subjective, I know, but how do you feel after 3 minutes? I don't feel a thing from any of the programs after that short a time. This link shows a measured effect (with an EEG) after 6 minutes --
    https://www.transparentcorp.com/prod...ntrainment.php
    but I doubt you would actually notice the difference, or at least I don't think I would. But like Marisa said, it also depends upon the person, and what state you are when starting.

Thread Information