Thread: Rare sleep disorder - recommendations?

1. Default Rare sleep disorder - recommendations?

I hope to get some advice. I have a very rare sleep disorder where I sleep a lot of hours, but never get any restorative sleep. (I've had sleep studies done that show I never go into stage 3 or 4 sleep which is the deep restorative sleep. I have been declared untreatable by the best neurologists and that's why I pursue alternative approaches.) I have a very difficult time waking up and always wake up exhausted. I experience severe daytime fatigue of the lack of quality sleep.

I am a new Proteus user and hope this device might help me in two ways: go into deeper levels of sleep and pump up my energy level during the daytime when I'm exhausted. I am also a pretty new Mind Workstation and NP2 user. I have found those to be awesome software items and I've created a lot of wonderful sessions especially for sleeping.

I bought the Proteus to use by itself and with the MWS and NP2 software sessions, but so far I haven't integrated those sessions with the Proteus. I've used the Proteus Session Mindmap to determine which built-in sessions to try (energizing and deep rest.) Unfortunately I haven't fell in love with the Proteus yet, but I really want to. I find the tones and flashing lights annoying instead of relaxing. Do many people attach a MP3 player to have some background music playing?

I've read some great tips on this forum for other situations, so I hope some of you can give me advice on which sessions to try, tips on using music with the sessions, possibly even advice on using MWS and NP2 with the Proteus, and anything else you think might help me. Thanks, this is a great community!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rare sleep disorder - recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by energizeme View Post
    I hope to get some advice. I have a very rare sleep disorder where I sleep a lot of hours, but never get any restorative sleep. (I've had sleep studies done that show I never go into stage 3 or 4 sleep which is the deep restorative sleep. I have been declared untreatable by the best neurologists and that's why I pursue alternative approaches.) I have a very difficult time waking up and always wake up exhausted. I experience severe daytime fatigue of the lack of quality sleep.

I am a new Proteus user and hope this device might help me in two ways: go into deeper levels of sleep and pump up my energy level during the daytime when I'm exhausted. I am also a pretty new Mind Workstation and NP2 user. I have found those to be awesome software items and I've created a lot of wonderful sessions especially for sleeping.

I bought the Proteus to use by itself and with the MWS and NP2 software sessions, but so far I haven't integrated those sessions with the Proteus. I've used the Proteus Session Mindmap to determine which built-in sessions to try (energizing and deep rest.) Unfortunately I haven't fell in love with the Proteus yet, but I really want to. I find the tones and flashing lights annoying instead of relaxing. Do many people attach a MP3 player to have some background music playing?

I've read some great tips on this forum for other situations, so I hope some of you can give me advice on which sessions to try, tips on using music with the sessions, possibly even advice on using MWS and NP2 with the Proteus, and anything else you think might help me. Thanks, this is a great community!
    You could try dimming the lights on your Proteus and turning the sound down. It may be the program that you have chosen that is causing the annoyance - especially if it's a Beta based program. With people who have high levels of Beta already (and/or anxiety) more Beta will annoy them.

During the day time to combat fatigue, you could try P8 or 10. There is a little bit of Beta in the Program but it's toward the end to wake you up. So it shouldn't bother you.

At night before you go to bed, you could try P43 or 44. If you use the program nightly for a couple of weeks, you may notice a difference in your sleep. What this program is doing is entraining your brain to the Theta Delta frequencies.

I've attached a program that I wrote for sleep replacement, you may like this one as the tones are a lower frequency and more pleasant.

Re: Music

What you may find helpful is to play a cd of sounds of the surf with your Proteus. The reason I'm suggesting this CD is that the "music" won't interfere with the beats generated by the machine. You could always experiment and see if another relaxing CD makes the entrainment journey more pleasant.

The Audio Strobe CD Water Planet is another option for you.

Hope some of this helps.

M.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information