Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Procyon Software!

Default New OS & Software

Greetings--we've just posted the installer for the new Procyon revision--this includes the Silicon Labs driver, instead of the TI driver.

See: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm

Why make this change? Well, when we designed the TI chip in originally, they had promised that Mac drivers would soon be available. But, they never appeared, and it has started looking like TI may not support that chip indefinitely. So, we selected the more integrated SiLabs chip as they already have Mac and Linux drivers.

This is not to say that we plan to develop any software for those platforms--we don't have the expertise to do so--but we are hoping that some enthusiastic user will do so, and wanted to facilitate that process.

The main problem with the TI installation seemed to have to do with users plugging their Procyon in before installing the Editor rather than afterwards, which meant that it was then necessary for them to located the TIUSB subfolder in the Procyon AVS installation folder, and run setup from there.

The new editor 2.1.0 will work with the earlier Procyon models--it will auto-recognize which chip is installed--as will all future software revisions.

-Robert
    Last edited by Andy; 11-27-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Add link to new software

Default Re: New Procyon Software!

It is nice to get an explanation of why the chip was changed, but this brings new questions to mind, what will happen to those customers that where quick to purchase the Procyon and therefore got one with a TI chip? I understand nothing will change by your side, MindPlace will support both just as much, but if an independant 3rd party decides to make software for the Procyon that runs on Linux or Mac (which is what I am hoping for), does this mean customers that have the revision 1 of Procyon will not be able to use the software, unless the independant 3rd party decides to write the drivers themself?

3. Default Re: New Procyon Software!

Wow this is GREAT thank you I will download and start messing with my procyon immediately... I notice you mentioned a mac driver? Is there a location I can visit to check this out, does this chip manufacturer have a website by chance?

Thanks so much!!

Rob

Blog Entries

Hi Encite;

It's probably a bit too soon to answer a question like that. At this point there is only PC support for Mindplace products. There isn't any software written yet for any other platforms and although we would love this to happen, it may not happen for a long while (if ever).

I guess what I'm saying is let's cross that bridge when we get there.

You are right, no use discussing it now when there really isn't an issue. Besides so far MindPlace has given me no reason to believe they will not take care of their customers should that situation occur

We are hoping that someone will develop some cool software to control the Procyon (in fact we have an ActiveX control which can help facilitate that... for the TI chip). No one has yet stepped forward to do so, but we remain optimistic.

It might be possible that TI will indeed release Linux or Mac OS X drivers, but we're not holding our breath.

BTW I think that it is not uncommon for manufacturers to vary their hardware over the course of a products life--the Proteus has undergone four hardware revisions in six years (the first one didn't have a power jack, for example), and some of my wireless routers and other PC gear shows as many as four different hardware revs, each requiring its own firmware update. We hope that this will be the only one for a long time, though.

Hope this helps!

Robert

Default Re: New OS & Software

I've just made an order on mindplace.com. Should I assume that the device will come with the new drivers?

Hi there, my Procyon flashes 1.7.4 when turned on,do i need to upgrade?
    Regards Coypu.

Blog Entries

The drivers are only needed if you want to use the software, and you only need to use the software if you decide you want to program the Procyon with your own sessions. Most people simply use the factory presets and have no need to connect the Procyon to their PC. The drivers are part of the software download available at http://www.mindplacesupport.com .

Your Procyon will come with the latest OS already installed. You can tell whether or not you have the TI chip or Silicon Labs by watching what flashes on the readout of the Procyon when you power it up, either 1.7.4 or 2.1.0. The OS version 1.7.4 is the latest for the TI USB IC and 2.1.0 for the Silicon Labs chip. Also, if you look on the box that the Procyon came in, the Silicon Labs chipped units have "Console Revision 2" written on a sticker on the box.
    Last edited by Andy; 12-31-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: TI and Silicon Labs mixed up

Hi andy,i thought the procyon op system had been up graded.
    I have already installed the previously published editor, its worying fine.
    On a slightly different tack i found Audiostobe gets corrupted when used with
    the anti shake buffer on CD players.
    Regards Coypu..

Thread Information