Thread: Newbie..ish - where do I start?

1. Default Newbie..ish - where do I start?

I bought an Orion machine (nearly the same as the Sirius) many years ago (before the white lightframes were introduced). I played with it for a couple of weeks but I just couldn't get into it so I just stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it.
    I recently have been told that I need to relax as I have an auto-immune disorder and lack of relaxation is making it significantly worse. I dug out the old machine and it all works fine but I really don't know where to start. What exactly am I supposed to do when I sit/lie there with a relaxation setting on?
    I know it sounds like a stupid thing to ask but I just find my mind wandering all over the place no matter how hard I try and focus on just the sound / light or my breathing. I never seem to be able to get anything out of the machine and at the end of the session, I feel exactly the same as before! I know it's not supposed to be like this as there seem to be so many people who benefit from these devices greatly.
    I've been struggling with this for a few weeks now and I'm at the point where I'll probably just give up again. I've read the manual from cover to cover and I'm sure the machine's working just fine.
    Can anyone please just give me an idea of how to get started? Any crumbs of advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I've even been wondering if I should spend the money on a newer machine - maybe they would offer something that is more suited for me?

Many thanks
    H.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie..ish - where do I start?

Hi H,

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_jay View Post
    I know it sounds like a stupid thing to ask but I just find my mind wandering all over the place no matter how hard I try and focus on just the sound / light or my breathing. I never seem to be able to get anything out of the machine and at the end of the session, I feel exactly the same as before! I know it's not supposed to be like this as there seem to be so many people who benefit from these devices greatly.
    I've been struggling with this for a few weeks now and I'm at the point where I'll probably just give up again. I've read the manual from cover to cover and I'm sure the machine's working just fine.

Many thanks
    H.
    It's okay to let your mind wander. I find that if I just watch the lights (eyes closed) my mind may wander at first and then I get into watching the patterns the lights create and then I doze off and feel refreshed when the machine wakes me up. So ... choose a relaxation program such as Mind Spa or Regeneration (I think the Orion has those programs) and then just let your mind wander and enjoy the session.

It sounds like your stress level is staying high because you are fighting with your brain. Trying to focus on one thing or nothing and ending up frustrated. This is why I say, just let it go. Let it wander and observe (almost like from a third person) where it goes. If you relax your eyes, you will begin to notice patterns in the lights .. just let your eyes follow them. If you don't see patterns at first, don't look for them - the idea is to relax and get use to the idea of just being in the moment.

Does this make sense? Please try it a few time and do write back and let me know if that works for you. If it doesn't, I may be able to come up with another suggestion.

M.

3. Default Re: Newbie..ish - where do I start?

Thanks Marisa
    I'm going to try this!

regards
    homer

4. Default Re: Newbie..ish - where do I start?

Hi!
    I tried what you suggested for 2 nights and here's what I found on both nights.
    I used the pre sleep program on both nights and found that my left arm and left leg felt like I had 'pins & needles' for a few seconds. At the same time, I felt extreme anxiety for a few seconds and then things went back to normal. This happened just about once a minute or so while the program was running. It was a really curious and a little alarming! The anxiety feeling was definitely not a nice one and it felt a little like that falling feeling you get just before you go to sleep but much more intense.
    Both times I had an awful night's sleep - perhaps only 2 or 3 hours each night and feel pretty lousy in the morning.

I tried the machine on one of the relaxation programs during the days and that was better - I actually felt a little better after using it.

To be honest, I found it boring just staring at the lights continually and couldn't wait for the night-time programs to finish. The lights effect seemed to fade the longer the program was and that's something I never noticed before! During the daytime use, I felt just fine letting the program run it's course.

A friend suggested upgrading to the newer lightframes (he said that the effect is much more intense) or the Procyon as the light effect on that machine is much more 'wow' and is likely to keep me interested during the sessions. I'm really not sure about this!

I'd welcome any comments and ideas - I'm really desperate to make this work for me as I'm running out of options.

H.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie..ish - where do I start?

Hi Homer,

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_jay View Post
    Hi!
    I tried what you suggested for 2 nights and here's what I found on both nights.
    I used the pre sleep program on both nights and found that my left arm and left leg felt like I had 'pins & needles' for a few seconds. At the same time, I felt extreme anxiety for a few seconds and then things went back to normal. This happened just about once a minute or so while the program was running. It was a really curious and a little alarming! The anxiety feeling was definitely not a nice one and it felt a little like that falling feeling you get just before you go to sleep but much more intense.
    Both times I had an awful night's sleep - perhaps only 2 or 3 hours each night and feel pretty lousy in the morning.
    First, I want to thank you for trying my suggestions and your feedback.

I'm not sure why you would feel anxiety with a sleep program. Unfortunately I can't look at the program itself to see what frequencies are used in any session (like I can with the Proteus and Procyon). That program obviously was not congruent with you.

That was a good idea to try something different.

I tried the machine on one of the relaxation programs during the days and that was better - I actually felt a little better after using it.

To be honest, I found it boring just staring at the lights continually and couldn't wait for the night-time programs to finish. The lights effect seemed to fade the longer the program was and that's something I never noticed before! During the daytime use, I felt just fine letting the program run it's course.
    Okay we do have something to work with here. I can appreciate what you are saying about being bored with watching the lights. Especially since it is an older machine (the programs have gotten much better with newer models like the Proteus or Procyon) and there is only one color to work with so the visual effects are more mundane.

Having said all that, what you can do is perhaps try the same relaxation program using just the headphones while you read a enjoyable book or putter around the house. You want to avoid trying to do anything that requires active thinking while on a relaxation program and at the same time, you want to occupy yourself so that you are not bored. Being bored will also increase stress so occupying your self with something mindless while listening to the machine may be helpful. The sound effects are not as powerful as the sound and light but they still can work. I use this method with my machines all the time.

You may need to experiment with some of the programs to see which one works best for you. You may want to try one of the learning programs (Learning with tapes or something like that) as I suspect that program targets Alpha waves and those make you feel good.

A friend suggested upgrading to the newer lightframes (he said that the effect is much more intense) or the Procyon as the light effect on that machine is much more 'wow' and is likely to keep me interested during the sessions. I'm really not sure about this!
    Well, I don't think switching to another single colored light frame will be any more interesting. You may want to upgrade to a Proteus where you have more range of color effects and program versatility. Not to mention if there is something in a program that bothers you, you can change it.

On the other hand, AVS may not be your thing. If you send me a Private Message letting me know your location, I can see if there is a dealer located near you and perhaps that dealer can let you try a Proteus to see if you even like it before you buy it. Or you could buy one from Mindplace and if you don't like it, providing you keep it in new condition, you can return it. Just a few more options for you.

Let me know if the sound alone method does anything for you.

M.

I'd welcome any comments and ideas - I'm really desperate to make this work for me as I'm running out of options.

H.[/quote]

Thread Information