Thread: Narcolepsy and Proteus

Default Narcolepsy and Proteus

Hello,

I am a long time user of the Proteus. My doctor is currently investigating some problems with my sleep, namely my disrupted sleep patterns. I dream before I even completely fall asleep, instead of having REM after a period of NREM sleep. I'm still awaiting the last test to confirm narcolepsy, but I'm pretty certain the neurologist is right.

I thought about trying to use my Proteus to help with my problem, but with the usual programs I am still dreaming as I drift off. I've tried just setting it to a delta frequency and going to sleep, but I always wake up as soon as proteus shuts itself off automatically. I could happily sacrifice the batteries on a regular basis if I could get a full night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to help with this other than waking up enough to turn it back on and go back to sleep? Usually when I do awaken from it shutting off, I throw my headphones and glasses on the nightstand and roll over. I'm usually not alert enough to realize that I can turn it back on.

or any other suggestions?

Until he puts me on drugs to deal with the narcolepsy directly I'm eager to get a good rest.. any ideas would be great!

i understand that the proteus isn't a replacement for my doctor and nobody is giving me medical advice here, just to get that out of the way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Narcolepsy and Proteus

Hi kdahl,

Quote Originally Posted by kdahl View Post
    Hello,

I thought about trying to use my Proteus to help with my problem, but with the usual programs I am still dreaming as I drift off. I've tried just setting it to a delta frequency and going to sleep, but I always wake up as soon as proteus shuts itself off automatically. I could happily sacrifice the batteries on a regular basis if I could get a full night's sleep.

Is there anything I can do to help with this other than waking up enough to turn it back on and go back to sleep? Usually when I do awaken from it shutting off, I throw my headphones and glasses on the nightstand and roll over. I'm usually not alert enough to realize that I can turn it back on.

The latest OS 2.5.1 has a feature where you can run the machine in AudioStrobe mode for extended periods. You can tell what OS your machine has by seeing what numbers flash when you first power it up. If you need to update your OS, you can download the latest version at the Mindplace Support Site: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Proteus.htm . I don't know if any of the AS titles would be helpful in this situation, though they are designed with relaxation in mind ... so maybe.

You mentioned something about batteries. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you can get a power supply for the Proteus, which will save you $$$ on batteries.

M.

Thread Information