Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6month challenge

1. Default The 6month challenge

Hello this is my first post here, I had originally decided to go ahead with my challenge/plan without ever coming here but due to somethings taking longer than expected and my friend recommending this place. I have decided to share my challenge/plan here, and maybe gain some input from those more experienced / knowledgable than myself.

Basically my challenge/plan is to go 6months to see how far you can actually increase intelligence and overall wellbeing. I have 3 main parts to this, the first is nutrition, the second is exercise and the third is my proteus.

The nutrition involves smaller meals more often with the help of a nutritionist friend of mine. Along with alot of supplements and vitamins (no nootropics just normal supplements and vitamins) stuff such as pharmaceutical grade omega3 (400/200 dha/epa ratio) greens + wildberry supplement (to make sure im getting all the recommended green servings) and a whole lot more.

The exercise involves both body and mind. I have been going to the gym regularly for the past month and a half to get myself aquainted with all the machines and kind of ween my body into the exercises and evrythign else I will be doing at hte gym. Aswell as swimming. The mind exercises involve such exercises from the 'einstein factor' and a massive problem solving book to 'boost brain power'.

THe light and sound machine is where I need some guidance. At hte moment I have the proteus with the green/red sunglasses , but from what I have read on some studies some of the other colours are more helpful to my purpose. At the moment my goal is to increase ability to learn and remember (academic stuff). I read one study which used alpha waves 5 times a week and it increased academic GPA slightly, SO I was thinking along hte lines of this aswell as using the sessions p17-p27 for different tasks such as studying or breaks.

One last thing is proper sleeping habits. I am a uni student so I have really unsociable sleeping habits which I believe impacts on my mental performance and my overall being. Fortunately I have 4 days off a week so sticking to this routine is a little easier. I do plan to document it all via video, pics and stats based on my progress in different areas aswell as comparisons from one semester to another.(I did hte best I could last semester and received distinction averages so I want to see if with the help of this if it is able to be improved)

Unfortunately I dont have an EEG so I cant take before readings of my daily alpha levels and other levels. So I am going to go by video journals of how im feeling / general diary stuff.

Are any of the more experienced users of light and sound able to help/guide me in anyway as to what I should/could do with my light and sound machine. I am open to anything, thank you!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The 6month challenge

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by me0w
    The light and sound machine is where I need some guidance. At the moment I have the Proteus with the green/red sunglasses , but from what I have read on some studies some of the other colours are more helpful to my purpose. At the moment my goal is to increase ability to learn and remember (academic stuff). I read one study which used alpha waves 5 times a week and it increased academic GPA slightly, SO I was thinking along the lines of this as well as using the sessions p17-p27 for different tasks such as studying or breaks.
    The Red LEDs are more stimulating and the Green tend to be more relaxing. Your combination of both with the Proteus is adequate for what you want to achieve.

The program I found best for improving concentration is #20. I also use just the sound portion of the machine on this program while I am working at my desk. I attached an Alpha/Beta program that I regularly use in this way. You could use it also with the lights if you wanted to and you may get a more enhanced effect in doing so. I tend to just use the sound part and have achieved good results with this program.

Other programs that you may really like that came with the Proteus are: P: 21 & 22. These are good for creativity and Visualization (just as their name states).

After you have studied and want the information to get processed into long term memory, go with one of the Mind Lab relax sessions: P12 to 16. P:28 is also a good one for allowing the information to go into the subconscious as well as refresh your mind. (At least 15 minutes in Theta is reported to reset potassium/sodium levels in your brain and thus ease a fatigued mind).

One last thing is proper sleeping habits. I am a uni student so I have really unsociable sleeping habits which I believe impacts on my mental performance and my overall being.
    Sleep is defiantly a key ingredient to mental function. When you haven't gotten a good night's sleep and want to feel refreshed, try the "Sleep Replace" program that I've attached to this file. Also, in your original Proteus programs, P 8 & P 10 are excellent!

There is another section of this forum http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...isplay.php?f=9 where, if you want, we can talk about other aspects of your program in greater detail. This is a subject that fascinates me and I hope to enjoy more conversations in this area.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. Default Re: The 6month challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa
    Other programs that you may really like that came with the Proteus are: P: 21 & 22. These are good for creativity and Visualization (just as their name states).

After you have studied and want the information to get processed into long term memory, go with one of the Mind Lab relax sessions: P12 to 16. P:28 is also a good one for allowing the information to go into the subconscious as well as refresh your mind. (At least 15 minutes in Theta is reported to reset potassium/sodium levels in your brain and thus ease a fatigued mind).
    wow thanks! I already have incredibly high creativity/visualisation levels so I don't really want to push it further, but for the concentration it DEFENTELY will be used. As when im studying I often trail off. What is the purpose of the beta in the alpha/beta session?

After I have studied does the proteus mimick this? Or are we still yet to do so. http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392812
    Basically the brain replays everything back of what we have just done and puts it into the longterm memory. This could be different from just processing so I have to ask.

And yes I am heavily interested in this also, this is why I have decided to do this experiment on myself. I am also interested in NLP and hypnosis (which i read in your bio) however for now this is enough to focus on. Thank you!

Blog Entries

As when I'm studying I often trail off. What is the purpose of the beta in the alpha/beta session?
    The Beta frequencies are what help with the concentration.

After I have studied does the Proteus mimic this? Or are we still yet to do so. http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392812
    Probably.

Basically the brain replays everything back of what we have just done and puts it into the longterm memory. This could be different from just processing so I have to ask.
    You may find this interesting: "Initially information is stored in various parts of our brain. At night, these fragments are brought out from storage, reassembled and replayed. Each run through etches them deeper into the neural structure until there comes a time when memories and the person who holds them are effectively one in the same." Source: Mapping the Mind, pg 261

Things that help form long term memories: intense emotion (for example, as with a phobia - which is a really well laid down memory), repetition and linking associations.

L&S in a theta (low alpha) frequency will guide the brain into that state where it normally processes information. If you use the L&S machine directly after studying, the memory will be stronger because nothing else has interrupted your attention (which causes a memory to fade quicker).

The more things you can associate that which you want to remember with, the stronger the memory will be. So when you are studying (and what are you studying BTW), after reading a section - stop - and think about all the things that you can associate with what you have learned.

On a different note and perhaps in a future conversation I'll throw a wrench into things by getting into how unreliable memory is when it comes to recalling incidents in our lives.

And yes I am heavily interested in this also, this is why I have decided to do this experiment on myself. I am also interested in NLP and hypnosis (which i read in your bio) however for now this is enough to focus on.
    There are some neat things that you can do with self hypnosis that will also help with your project. Key: Just as you are falling asleep and just as you are waking up, you are in the most suggestible state (Theta). Give yourself a command, stated in positive language. Repeat it to yourself a few times. For example: "Each and every day, my abilities are increasing in every way." The mind always goes towards what ever you are thinking about and your unconscious not only takes everything literally, it believes everything your conscious mind tells it. So ... you always want to make sure that whatever you tell yourself is positive. Sounds hokey but it is true.

BTW, does "Me0w" mean that you like cats?

M.

5. Default Re: The 6month challenge

You may find this interesting: "Initially information is stored in various parts of our brain. At night, these fragments are brought out from storage, reassembled and replayed. Each run through etches them deeper into the neural structure until there comes a time when memories and the person who holds them are effectively one in the same." Source: Mapping the Mind, pg 261

Things that help form long term memories: intense emotion (for example, as with a phobia - which is a really well laid down memory), repetition and linking associations.

L&S in a theta (low alpha) frequency will guide the brain into that state where it normally processes information. If you use the L&S machine directly after studying, the memory will be stronger because nothing else has interrupted your attention (which causes a memory to fade quicker).

The more things you can associate that which you want to remember with, the stronger the memory will be. So when you are studying (and what are you studying BTW), after reading a section - stop - and think about all the things that you can associate with what you have learned.

There are some neat things that you can do with self hypnosis that will also help with your project. Key: Just as you are falling asleep and just as you are waking up, you are in the most suggestible state (Theta). Give yourself a command, stated in positive language. Repeat it to yourself a few times. For example: "Each and every day, my abilities are increasing in every way." The mind always goes towards what ever you are thinking about and your unconscious not only takes everything literally, it believes everything your conscious mind tells it. So ... you always want to make sure that whatever you tell yourself is positive. Sounds hokey but it is true.

BTW, does "Me0w" mean that you like cats?

M.
    Ahh i get it, alpha/beta for learning/concentration no point being highly intelligent if you can't focus on the task at hand. The stuff about memory is highly helpfull, I have a friend who is a photoreading instructor and she taught me alot of things, one in particular is the memory decay graphs. Which shows how a memory will decay if you don't 'bring it up' in your mind over the week or over the month etc. Ive also watched the paul mckenna accelerated learning video and he gives lots of information / hypnosis on memory, which is nearly exactly what you said.

I am currently studying business and commerce, however from the start of 2007 I will be studying business and commerce/Engineering, so I will need my brain power then. Hence why I have started this early this year. (However im highly interested in computers/technology/Web development which is why I do it for my work even though it isn't related to my studies)

I do believe in positive affirmations, I used to use them to change my behaviour. I use a 3-2-1 approach to get there and then i state my affirmations and slip into sleep, however I haven't done it in the morning before. So i don't think it is hokey at all, infact recently I was using it to say 'I am getting stronger and smarter each and everyday. I am able to focus longer than the previous day and remember more aswell." I did this while I was reading for exams, and i subsequently scored 100% on the quizes.

Yes I am a cat person, I recently got a new kitten and I usualy use the nick me0wzilla to poke fun at godzilla, but i shortened it to me0w for fun.

Thank you for the help!

Blog Entries

Ahh i get it, alpha/beta for learning/concentration no point being highly intelligent if you can't focus on the task at hand.
    Essentially yes.

The stuff about memory is highly helpful, I have a friend who is a photoreading instructor and she taught me a lot of things, one in particular is the memory decay graphs. Which shows how a memory will decay if you don't 'bring it up' in your mind over the week or over the month etc.
    What a wonderful resource to have in a friend. LOL that's right, I forgot about the memory decay thing....probably because I haven't thought about it for a while. lol (irony intended)

I am currently studying business and commerce, however from the start of 2007 I will be studying business and commerce/Engineering, so I will need my brain power then. Hence why I have started this early this year. (However I'm highly interested in computers/technology/Web development which is why I do it for my work even though it isn't related to my studies)
    That is quite the endeavor. Way to go! Your Proteus will be most helpful!!

Yes I am a cat person, I recently got a new kitten and I usually use the nick me0wzilla to poke fun at godzilla, but i shortened it to me0w for fun.
    Meowzilla, that's funny. I love all animals. I have a dog (Belgian Tervuren), 2 Starlings, 1 Raven and 40 odd pigeons. Oddly enough, I never considered myself a bird person ... they just sort of happened. lol

I had a cat (Chani) up until late last year. She was 17. I do like cats, being a Leo and all, lol ... however, I don't have any plans to get another one. I think with all the birds around, a kitten would be...well a bad idea. lol. I just got the dog to stop trying to eat the birds.

Are you in Canada or the U.S.?

M.

7. Default Re: The 6month challenge

What a wonderful resource to have in a friend. LOL that's right, I forgot about the memory decay thing....probably because I haven't thought about it for a while. lol (irony intended)

Meowzilla, that's funny. I love all animals. I have a dog (Belgian Tervuren), 2 Starlings, 1 Raven and 40 odd pigeons. Oddly enough, I never considered myself a bird person ... they just sort of happened. lol

I had a cat (Chani) up until late last year. She was 17. I do like cats, being a Leo and all, lol ... however, I don't have any plans to get another one. I think with all the birds around, a kitten would be...well a bad idea. lol. I just got the dog to stop trying to eat the birds.

Are you in Canada or the U.S.?

M.
    Aahahha oh the irony!! And yes, fortunately for me she is very up on everything(learning, rv, silva etc) and fortunately for her I am up on the net so it works both ways. When she wants to learn something I could probably find it and she is able to help me in return! She is also the one who suggested to me around 4-5 years ago about the proteus.

hahaha, thank you.. I do think if you did get one it would cause problems lol, 40 birds and 1 kitten.. It would be that cat's heaven, every day he would have someone new to torment!

Yes it is a big endeavour, however it is doable just have to stay disciplined! For example last night I used some of your advice on the during study/post study sessions. Everything made immediate sense, and I still remember it now!

I wanted to move to Canada this year but tuition there is way too expensive. I live in Australia, here I pay 182$ per semester for university!! And then the rest later comes out of my tax when im working.

I want to begin this challenge asap, but im still waiting on a number of supplements from the US. So I think the experiment won't end until jan 07. I have to read up on how to upgrade my proteus, it is still running the old software, I had a little read around here and brainvibe and few other forums but I can't seem to find the functional diffrence between ver 2.0? and the latest version? I think i have 2.0 because when i turn the proteus on that is the number that is displayed.

Cheers!!

Blog Entries

She is also the one who suggested to me around 4-5 years ago about the Proteus.
    A beer to her who made such a good suggestion.

hahaha, thank you.. I do think if you did get one it would cause problems LOL, 40 birds and 1 kitten.. It would be that cat's heaven, every day he would have someone new to torment!
    Who would torment who is the question? The dog would think the kitten was the coolest chew toy going. The Raven would think the kitten was the biggest mouse she's ever seen. The starlings...well...okay, they'd be goners. lol

Yes it is a big endeavor, however it is doable just have to stay disciplined!
    Make it a way of life and that way, your brain will stay fit for all of your life. The discipline is easy, it's just a matter of perspective.

For example last night I used some of your advice on the during study/post study sessions. Everything made immediate sense, and I still remember it now!
    What did you try? The sound part while studying or the Theta session after studying?

I wanted to move to Canada this year but tuition there is way too expensive. I live in Australia, here I pay 182$ per semester for university!! And then the rest later comes out of my tax when I'm working.
    Wow that is sure reasonable tuition! I was in Australia (Sidney) about 26 years ago for about three months. Man it was hot there! I loved the beaches and the ocean though ... except for those pesky "blue bottles" (jelly fishy things). It was the first time I had seen the ocean. I got dusted by one of those big surfing waves ... head over heals into the shore...face plant on the shore...bathing suit all discombooberated ... literally. lol What a sight.

I want to begin this challenge asap, but I'm still waiting on a number of supplements from the US.
    What supplements are you getting?

So I think the experiment won't end until jan 07. I have to read up on how to upgrade my Proteus, it is still running the old software, I had a little read around here and brainvibe and few other forums but I can't seem to find the functional difference between ver 2.0? and the latest version? I think i have 2.0 because when i turn the proteus on that is the number that is displayed.
    I don't think there is a function difference that would affect what you are doing ... unless you are doing programming. Let me ask someone who knows better than I and I'll get back to you on that one. If you do need to upgrade, http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Proteus.htm should give you the information you need on how to do it.

M.

9. Default Re: The 6month challenge

Who would torment who is the question? The dog would think the kitten was the coolest chew toy going. The Raven would think the kitten was the biggest mouse she's ever seen. The starlings...well...okay, they'd be goners. lol

Make it a way of life and that way, your brain will stay fit for all of your life. The discipline is easy, it's just a matter of perspective.

What did you try? The sound part while studying or the Theta session after studying?

Wow that is sure reasonable tuition! I was in Australia (Sidney) about 26 years ago for about three months. Man it was hot there! I loved the beaches and the ocean though ... except for those pesky "blue bottles" (jelly fishy things). It was the first time I had seen the ocean. I got dusted by one of those big surfing waves ... head over heals into the shore...face plant on the shore...bathing suit all discombooberated ... literally. lol What a sight.

What supplements are you getting?
    AHahha good point, my kitten gets tormented by the little birds out side. They come and sit on the gutter and squawk at him because they know he can't do anything but if he got the chance would eat them lol.

That is what I want to do but different lifestyles for different people. Being a student I need my brain, being a manager or engineer I probably won't need as much focus on learning and memory but more on visualisation and creativity.

I used session 25 to study with then session 17. Worked well, the way I could compare it to before is when I studied without it. I was learning with the intent to understand, when I was using the machine I was learning asif I knew the material and I was trying to explain it. I then used p17 afterwards and I can recall most of it now.

Hahahaa, when I was younger i used to be a lifesaver. We saw ALOT of this so your not alone!

The supplements I am getting are ranging. Because I am also building up my body aswell as this. I have stuff such as creatine and protein (for body) and for the mind I have chromium(blood sugar levels), omega3, B12, B complex, Vitamin E with tocotrienols, Selenium, ALA, q10, Ginkgo, Folic acid, lecithin, and a greens supplement called greens plus wild berry.

This is to supplement a good diet, I however want to have higher levels of these nutrients/vitamins in my body. I have had bloodwork done already, so I have an idea where I am standing at the moment. There is no vitamin C in that because I have decided to have a large glass of freshly squeezed orange juice each morning (we will see how big that glass is because depending on how much vitamin C i have will determine how much trouble i have in the bathroom lolll so I have to watch this one). The supplements cover most antio-oxidants, essential nutrients and vitamins.

I will leave the upgrade for now then until I hear back from you, there isn't an urgency on it and I have to study for finals.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hello,

That is what I want to do but different lifestyles for different people. Being a student I need my brain, being a manager or engineer I probably won't need as much focus on learning and memory but more on visualisation and creativity.
    It's all linked together. That which enables you to learn, also is tied to creativity. Trust me, you want to have as good of a memory as possible forever.

The supplements I am getting are ranging. Because I am also building up my body aswell as this. I have stuff such as creatine and protein (for body) and for the mind I have chromium(blood sugar levels), omega3, B12, B complex, Vitamin E with tocotrienols, Selenium, ALA, q10, Ginkgo, Folic acid, lecithin, and a greens supplement called greens plus wild berry.
    Looks like a good combo.

I will leave the upgrade for now then until I hear back from you, there isn't an urgency on it and I have to study for finals.
    If your machine is running fine, then don't do the upgrade. It was designed to fix a specific problem that certain machines had.

Good luck with the studying.

Thread Information