Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB -> RS-232 adaptors

1. Default Re: USB -> Serial adaptors

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You will need the black cable from MindPlace that has a 9-pin RS-232 Female connector on one end and a 3.5mm male "TRS" (headphone) connector on the other.

If the 9-pin end of the MindPlace cable will connect to your PC, then you are golden, and you don't need a USB to RS-232 adapter.

If the connector on your PC were a 9-pin MALE then that would be an RS-232 connector. The female that you are looking at is probably a 15-pin if it's female and RGB for a PC monitor.

Most likely you need a USB to Serial (RS-232) adapter, and the DB9 female to 3.5mm TRS cable from Mindplace, which likely came with your Proteus.

Hopefully all that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't!

-Andy.
    Andy, thank you so much. I have had my Proteus for years and that cable has disappeared in at least 4-5 moves. Does Mindplace sell the cable individually?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading and getting the Thoughtstream (with Games) to use with Proteus. And I see that it comes with a cable. Is this also the same cable that comes with Proteus, the 9-pin female RS-232 and 3.5mm headphone connector?

Many thanks for your clarification.

K

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB -> Serial adaptors

Hello again;

You can get the cables from your dealer or from Mindplace directly. The thoughtstream cable is a different cable and will not work with the Proteus.

3. Default Re: USB -> Serial adaptors

Thanks, Andy. I think I will get it from Mindplace. That cable is hard to find.

Ah, the clarity!

K

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB -> RS-232 adaptors (cont'd)

User-Recommended USB to RS-232 Adapters

Andy: Any adapter that uses the Prolific PL-2303 IC e.g. THESE (from Amazon)
    TomC: Targus PA088 adapter

Feel free to add any that you've found to work. All the ones I've tried are generic ones I got in China, so they're of no consequence here. I'd like to know about ones available commonly that people have had success with.
    Last edited by Andy; 02-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.

5. Default Re: USB -> RS-232 adaptors

I have just purchased a Keyspan Mini Port Replicator (model no. UPR-112G) and it works with the Proteus on Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium. This model also has a Parallel Printer Port and a 2-port USB hub. The driver also includes software (Keyspan Serial Assistant) to change the Com port should it not be between 1 & 8. Mine was assigned to Com 3 so didn't need to use this.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=3909

I managed to get one on eBay very cheaply (about $17).

There is also a Keyspan High-Speed USB Serial Adapter (model no. USA-19HS) which should also work (?) as it uses the same driver as the Mini Port Replicator (on Windows 7 at least).

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=3914

Click on the Help & Resources tab on the product page for the drivers relevant to your Windows OS (drivers available all the way back to Windows 98). The Windows 7 drivers are still beta at the moment but they do work on my system and they are also a straight install without the need for using compatibility mode. The drivers also installed without any fuss from Windows, so confirms that the drivers are Microsoft signed which is stated on the website.

After installing the drivers, I connected everything up, switched on the Proteus and then plugged in the USB cable on the Keyspan device into my computer and everything was set up automatically.
    Last edited by robinhood; 07-17-2010 at 03:56 AM.

6. Default Re: USB -> RS-232 adaptors - NOT Windows 7 Compatible

Greetings Andy - I've not been able to find a USB -> RS-232 adapter that is compatible with Windows 7. Either no mention of "7" is made or it is noted specifically as not being compatible. Any suggestions? I've got a USB to 3.5mm cable but it charges as well as the data transfer so it won't work. Thanks!

- Bill Carroll

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB -> RS-232 adaptors

Hi Bill;

As I mentioned previously, any adapter that uses the Prolific PL-2303 IC will work and I think Win7 has built-in drivers for it.

I think also that most modern adapters will work with Win 7 even if they don't say specifically that they do. My advice would be to purchase one somewhere that allows returns in case you do find one that doesn't work.

Some PL-2303 adapters from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...L-2303&x=0&y=0

Once you find one, let us know the brand/model and I'll add it to the list.

-Andy.

I just wanted to mention that you will know if you need to lower the speed because when the download runs it will flip through a random-looking sequence of numbers and then stop with bAd illuminated on the Proteus' LED display. If this occurs then slow down the transfer rate until you complete without ending with a bAd code. This is what worked for me. BTW if you get the bAd code and do not remediate then you will still be able to use the Pxx sessions but when you click the mode button to switch to something else (such as an AudioStrobe session) then you will be forced to dL with no other option available. (That's how I confirmed that bAd means bad.)

Peace,
    djk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Hi Andy,

Another thing you can do while you are in the Advanced Settings is drag the slider on the Transmit Buffer to the SLOW end. (See attached jpg)

The "Change Data Transfer Rate" menu option in the Proteus Session Editor adjusts the rate at which the Session Editor program sends blocks of data to Windows operating system. From there the drivers take over. If all blocks were sent out of the USB port at the pace sent by the Session Editor all would work well. Unfortunately, a lot of USB2Serial drivers will queue up individual blocks of data until their buffer is full (or some latency time expires) then sends them all at once. This makes for efficient use of the timing frames used by USB protocol but wreaks havoc on the Proteus. Putting the slider in the SLOW position reduces the buffer size so USB2Serial has to send smaller packets.

Best regards,
    TheRock

Blog Entries

Thank you for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Djk View Post
    BTW if you get the bAd code and do not remediate then you will still be able to use the Pxx sessions but when you click the mode button to switch to something else (such as an AudioStrobe session) then you will be forced to dL with no other option available. (That's how I confirmed that bAd means bad.)
    Actually, anything can happen if you get the bAd message, so always lower the speed and try again. In your case you had an issue when switching to another mode, others may have different issues if the OS update doesn't complete. I just thought it important to clarify that.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

10. Default Re: USB -> RS-232 adaptors

Hi Andy,

I found a usb-rs232 adapter on Ebay that worked perfectly with Win 7 64 bit and Proteus. I had to let Windows Update find the correct driver as the one than came with it didn't work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RS232-SE...ht_2262wt_1163

regards,

Thread Information