Thread: Music with light - efficacy?

Lightbulb Music with light - efficacy?

Hi! The H.G. here..

I'm into day 2 of being a Procyon user, previously owning a Mindlab DLS from around 1994 through to when it finally passed away a few months ago!

Now, I am fanatical about music, and my tastes work well for meditiative (or other) sessions, as I love electronica rich in atmosphere, rhythm and tranquilty.

For example, I can imagine spinning Boards of Canada with a tranquility or sleep session, or some more uptempo stuff like Luke Vibert for energising sessions, but, if I mix and match, will certain tempos reduce the efficacy, or counteract against the frequencies in sessions?

It's just a thought, and it doesn't matter either way as I use the Procyon with headphones anyway...but I am curious!

With thanks,

Ghoul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Music with light - efficacy?

Hi Ghoul,

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic Ghoul View Post
    Hi! The H.G. here..

if I mix and match, will certain tempos reduce the efficacy, or counteract against the frequencies in sessions?
    Yes, but since the frequencies derived from the lights have a stronger influence on the brain waves than the sound frequencies, it shouldn't impact your session too much. You should still reap the benefits from the session.

Having said that, try to match the type of music with your session. For example, calming music with relaxation-based sessions, energetic music with energizing sessions. I'm guessing that if you were to play, let's say, speed metal with a tranquility program - although it may be pleasurable session, you may not come out of it as relaxed as you would with a more compatible choice of tune.

M.

Many thanks for the advice. It's cool how you can mix an MP3 player straight in, thereby listening to the Procyon sounds at the same time. I'm going to try this as well as lights with music alone.. But my main sessions will be standard light / sound; the music sessions will be bonuses! Ghoul.

Blog Entries

Yesterday I had to get a filling repaired at the dentist so I brought my Procyon and MP3 player with me. I put it on the Regeneration program (P17) and the music on my MP3 Player was a variety of rock (some light, some not).

At first I tried it with the music and program sounds (and lights) but then opted for just the music & lights because of the incongruence in sound. I didn't like the beats in the background with this particular choice of music.

Although I did not go very deep into a trance, I enjoyed the experience and it made the dental working much more bearable. The lights and music are a great distraction. Toward the end, I decided to switch over to the Pyromania program (P49) which matched the music better and really enjoyed the trip.

I have more dental work coming up - YUK! But, I am definitely bringing my Procyon. It does make a difference and I do recommend it.

What I do recommend is that if you want to go into a trance, choose music that is more congruent (as mentioned in a earlier post) and if you just want good distraction: 1. Choose music you like; 2. Try P 48 or 49; 3. Don't bother with the sound portion of the machine, just plug your headphones into your MP3 Player and enjoy the light show!

M.

Good story re. the dentist - anything that helps is a boon!

I've been trying musical sessions (tranquil, and more energetic sessions), and aside from anything else it's a great way to hear music as it helps focus and not miss anything.

I am looking forward to trying out the Mind-Art sessions!

Ghoul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holographic Ghoul View Post
    aside from anything else it's a great way to hear music as it helps focus and not miss anything.
    Ghoul
    You're right, it is a good way to listen to music. LOL I didn't think about using it before just for that purpose but now that you mention it - ya, absolutely! Good one!

M.
    Last edited by Andy; 09-22-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Thread Information