Thread: Old Windows OSs

Blog Entries

Default Old Windows OSs

Quote Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
    Hello,
    i tried to load the CymaticLFO_x86.dll into Reaper 6.29 (32 bit) without success. Even older versions of the LFO plug-ins and of Reaper did not work.
    With 64 bit it worked fine. (with CymaticLFO_x64.dll and Reaper 6.29 (64 bit))
    Is there anybody there with Reaper 32 bit and has success loading the LFO plug-in (CymaticLFO_x86.dll)?
    There's 32-bit machines out there still?
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Default Re: Old Windows OSs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    There's 32-bit machines out there still?
    Hello Andy,

even 486 machine with Janus (Win3.1)
    Then 32 bit machines with Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000. (but on these machines reaper doesn't work.)
    But on my 32 bit machines with Win XP it works. (but CymaticLFO_x86.dll not)
    The other machines with 64 bit (Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10) are ok.

Blog Entries

Nutty!

I'm very curious why someone would run old, unsupported Windows OS's when Win10 is free?

The last 32-bit Intel processor was made in 2002, so that's some pretty old hardware you have there!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Nutty!

I'm very curious why someone would run old, unsupported Windows OS's when Win10 is free?

The last 32-bit Intel processor was made in 2002, so that's some pretty old hardware you have there!

Hello Andy,

the best example i can give you for your question about why someone would run old Windows OS's is ........... MWS (Mindworkstation) and Virtual Box.
    What should i write about it, you know it best. In brief: MWS (untill Win 7 and Win 8.1) and Virtualbox version in which MWS run (in Win10 but until version 1909)

Another example for old hardware: I use my old 486 desktop computer because i began to build one of the first PC-driven mindmachines in 1993, when i choose this for my project in my electrotechnician-school. Therefore i contacted here in Germany Lutz Berger who was very famous here in the mindmachine-scene in that time. He informed me, that at this time there were no mindmachines
    what are driven only by the PC on the market and that he was interested in such a device. So he told me his wishes about what this machine should be capable of.
    I had only six months time for finishing my project, so i worked many days (and sometimes nights) on it: developing the hardware ( i drove the LEDs not with PWM, instead
    i used constant current sources switchable through the parallel-port), and writing the software ( at that time i programmed with Turbo Pascal). Under DOS it was possible to use microsecond precise interrupts (with no disturbance from Windows). When i was ready the project had a lot of more features then wanted originally:
    There were 4 modes what were called Focus, Toggle, Expand and Cross, a walkman could be switched on and off by programming with the editor or by controlling with
    the life-control possibility, already programmed sessions could be loaded, sessions could be programmed with lot of switchable options and stored in files, sound pitch or noise could be created by the Soundblaster compatible soundcard, red Leds or green Leds or both could be choosed, freezing the session was possible (it would run with the last parameters), pulse pause ratio could be choosed, the LEDs could be dimmed off and on, total-, frequency-modulation and Line-In loudness could be controlled and programmed and of course the brightness of the LEDs.
    Lutz Berger and i visited an electronic company in Germany to let produce the hardware. But this company wanted too much money for each unit. So i put this project aside and waited ..... too long. Because ... one year later a german company called Futuremind came on the market with a similar concept. They sold their products for 2 or 3 years, but then there came changes in the OS (pure DOS without windows was not possible anymore), and changes in hardware (the bus architecture changed from ISA to PCI). That was the end of my concept to drive my project on modern PCs.
    So i don't want to throw it all away.
    Here some pics. (Sorry the program was written in german language)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Great stuff! I love that DIY world.
    -Andy.

Thread Information