Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Produce Spectrastrobe and Audiostrobe sessions with a DAW

Default How to Produce Spectrastrobe and Audiostrobe sessions with a DAW

You don't need special software to create Spectrastrobe and Audiostrobe sessions. Any full featured DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) is all you need. I use Reaper.

Why Reaper?

- Almost free. The 2 month trial version (full) never goes away. I had Reaper on my hard drive for a year before I took the time to learn it.
    - TONS of instructional media. From the Reaper.fm site, to Reaper Mania or Reaper Blog, there is a tutorial for anything you want to do in Reaper.
    - Extremely customizable. DAW's are designed for music production. I can shape Reaper to look and feel more like MWS.

Go to Reaper.fm and install Reaper. Then download and unzip the attached template. Open the .rpp file.

You will see a reference track on top. This controls Spectrastrobe signals.

Then there is the Entrainment track. Just like MWS, this is where you set your entrainment path. You will see an automation lane (called tracks in MWS) and control points (nodes) you can set to what time/ frequency you want.

Under that is the Spectrastrobe color tracks. Mix colors by using the volume slider, or set an automation by selecting the track and typing V, or click the Trim button on the TCP and check the Volume box. The volume slider on the Entrainment track will adjust over all brightness.

Then there is the Tones track. The Tone Generator installed in the FX is always on, so I have it muted upon opening. There is an automation lane to control pitch and volume along the timeline..

Notice how all 4 of these tracks are slightly indented under the Entrainment track? That is because they are in a "folder" The Entrainment track is the "parent" and controls all the tracks that are indented below it. These tracks are "children" or "slave" tracks.

Then you will see a music track that is not in the folder.

Use this template to add your own music, or do your own BWE protocol. To export it as a MP3, click File> Render and select MP3.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with Reaper. I suggest watching this series of videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bepxGZ-ZXGE

If you are using another DAW, open the zip file and find the Repeaks/ Media folder. There you will find the ultrasonic soundtracks for reference, red, green and blue. Control these with a LFO, add a tone generator and away you go. DO NOT MODULATE THE REFERENCE TRACK.

For Audiostrobe, All you need is the Green track.

This will get you started. There is a lot more things you can do, a lot more to go over. Play around with it, and let me know if you have any questions..
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

Ok, So I downloaded Reaper and your .zip file, I opened the .rpp file in reaper.

What do I need to do to have the same type of session as the .kbs I am using right now?
    Because I dont know how to go about is.

I will first study the videos you mentioned to build a proper foundation.

Default Re: How to Produce Spectrastrobe and Audiostrobe sessions with a DAW

Quote Originally Posted by Jos Bos View Post
    Ok, So I downloaded Reaper and your .zip file, I opened the .rpp file in reaper.

What do I need to do to have the same type of session as the .kbs I am using right now?
    Because I dont know how to go about is.

I will first study the videos you mentioned to build a proper foundation.
    Add control points to the Entrainment track following the entrainment path you wish along the timeline. Shift-click to add points, then you can drag the point to the frequency and time you want, or right click it and set the value. Expand the track while youre working on it to make it easier to see.

Connect your Spectrastrobe device to USB, and set your computer to use as sound output.

Hit play, and unmute the tones track. Mute the music track if you want. You should have flashing lights and pulsing tones following your entrainment path. Blend colors by adjusting the volume settings on each color. Overall brightness is adjusted using the volume of the entrainment track.

Save As to keep the template original. Click File- Render, choose where you want to store the file and what format to use. Kasina and Limina will only take WAV or MP3. Render the file, then upload into your device.

Great work---well done, Joe, and thanks much for this new method for making SpectraStrobe sessions!

There is so much cool stuff you can do with it. Once you understand the basics, it is really limited to your imagination, and your desire to learn more about audiovisual production with a DAW. It may seem a little overwhelming at first. Start slow and simple until you get used to it, just like any complex program

Automation lanes.PNG

Control color mixing with the volume of the color tracks. Select the track and type V, or click the Trim button on the TCP and check the Volume box. Shift- click to add points, drag for placement, or right click to add a specific value.

Hello,
    i replaced the Tremolo plug-in with the Cymatic LFO plug-in and wanted to produce pulses with for example 10 percent pulse width with 180 degrees phase shift (for old mindmachine freaks: the expand mode). How can you realize it? (Panning did not work because then one eyeside has the 10 percent pulse but the other eyeside is pulsing much longer).

Quote Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
    Hello,
    i replaced the Tremolo plug-in with the Cymatic LFO plug-in and wanted to produce pulses with for example 10 percent pulse width with 180 degrees phase shift (for old mindmachine freaks: the expand mode). How can you realize it? (Panning did not work because then one eyeside has the 10 percent pulse but the other eyeside is pulsing much longer).
    180 degree phase shift as in each side is offset 180 deg to produce an alternating effect as in one eye full on while the other is full off?

To do that for the entire folder (all tracks indented under the Entrainment track), click FX and open the Cymatic LFO. Slide the Target slider from Volume to Panning, and set the pulse width to 10%.

To do individual tracks, on the TCP, adjacent to the FX button, you will see a 0 button with a line through it. Clicking this button turns it green and inverts the phase 180 degrees. You will need tracks for right and left, and pan them 100%

You can even do individual items in a track by double clicking to open the Item Properties window. There you will find a box to invert the phase just for that item.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    180 degree phase shift as in each side is offset 180 deg to produce an alternating effect as in one eye full on while the other is full off?

To do that for the entire folder (all tracks indented under the Entrainment track), click FX and open the Cymatic LFO. Slide the Target slider from Volume to Panning, and set the pulse width to 10%.

To do individual tracks, on the TCP, adjacent to the FX button, you will see a 0 button with a line through it. Clicking this button turns it green and inverts the phase 180 degrees. You will need tracks for right and left, and pan them 100%

You can even do individual items in a track by double clicking to open the Item Properties window. There you will find a box to invert the phase just for that item.
    Hello Joe,
    thank you for the answer.
    I had tried all what you wrote before. Even the waveform i had changed to pulse. Slide the LFO Target slider to panning, set pulse width to 10%.
    Then i duplicated the track (green). Set the slider beneath the Volume pan slider of one track to left and the slider of the other track to right. Then one track is pulsing with 10% and the other track has 10% pause and pulses with 90%. I tried all phase inverted buttons and also
    the boxes (Invert phase) in the Item Properties windows, but without any changing result.
    The result should be: When the right light pulses with 10% the left light should be off. When the left light pulses with 10% the right light should be off.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
    Hello Joe,
    thank you for the answer.
    I had tried all what you wrote before. Even the waveform i had changed to pulse. Slide the LFO Target slider to panning, set pulse width to 10%.
    Then i duplicated the track (green). Set the slider beneath the Volume pan slider of one track to left and the slider of the other track to right. Then one track is pulsing with 10% and the other track has 10% pause and pulses with 90%. I tried all phase inverted buttons and also
    the boxes (Invert phase) in the Item Properties windows, but without any changing result.
    The result should be: When the right light pulses with 10% the left light should be off. When the left light pulses with 10% the right light should be off.
    Sorry for the confusion. I posted 3 different ways to accomplish the same goal. Using the Cymatic plugin, you only need one track. I assume you are using Audiostrobe. Set the plugin to panning at 10% DS. You only need the green light track, delete or mute the rest. It should give you the result you are looking for.

Thread Information