Thread: Visual effect of lightframes

1. Default Visual effect of lightframes

I have recently bought a Kasina machine. I have been using such devices (not very consistently) since the late 90s, when I bought a MindLab. Later on I used Orion and Proteus devices. I've always imagined that the experience I got from these machines was in line with that of most people, but lately I have doubts and would like to compare with other users of this forum.

My question is prompted by some reviews I have seen on-line, suggesting that other people see quite vivid geomoetric patterns and other arresting effects. I have never seen anything of the sort - all I ever see is a flickering or swirling cloud which changes colour. It has a certain effect, but not a very profound or even entertaining one. This has been my experience with every machine I have used and, as I say, I thought until recently that it was normal. If it is true that I am not getting the full effect of the visuals, I wonder what the reason could be?

I'd wondered whether my ordinary vision could explain the problem. I am short-sighted, with the right eye much weaker with the left, and a degree of astigmatism in both. I have tried using the light-frames over ordinary glasses, but the effect remains the same. To be honest, that was a long shot anyway. I have noticed that it is difficult to prevent my eyes from 'over-reacting' to the light stimulus - I can feel them almost 'flinching' from time to time, so I tried dimming the lightframes but still to no avail.

Is there perhaps some special technique involved? I try to look into the distance and not to be distracted by the lights in the foreground, but perhaps this is not right. I remember years ago, when those 'Magic Eye' 3D images were especially popular, that for a long time I could not get the hang of them at all. When eventually I learned how to do it, I was amazed by what I saw. Is there any similar knack that one has to acquire?

Or is it the case that the reviewers are exaggerating and that the swirly clouds I see are as good as it gets? By the way, I also bought the deep vision goggles but I have not yet tried them out - I want to postpone the inevitable sense of disappointment! What sort of visuals do other users of this forum experience?

Mike Crump
    Last edited by jidlomonster; 05-03-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Default Re: Visual effect of lightframes

Hello Mike

Try moving your eyes around a bit. Also try opening your eyes a tiny bit, maybe one eye at a time. This is better with deep Vision goggles, where you can open them up fully if you want.

3. Default Re: Visual effect of lightframes

Thanks for responding, JoeV. I have now tried the DeepVision goggles and, completely by coincidence, moved my eyes around a bit, and also tried open/closed eyes etc. I can't say that I noticed any significant change.

I'm trying to think of anything that might explain the relatively poor results I seem to be getting. One thing is that my eyes are fairly deep-set and I noticed that the rubber surround on the DV goggles were not achieving
    an effective seal. I'm very aware of the bottom edge of the goggles while I am viewing.

I have been wondering whether playing around with the colour sets might make a difference, One peculiar effect I notice is that, after the lights have stopped, I do see some faintt geometric patterns that I have not been aware of during the session. But all this is a long way from the 'mandela patterns' and 'going down tunnels' that I read and hear about in reviews. It's a bit frustrating.

Could I ask what sort of things you see in a typical session?

Default Re: Visual effect of lightframes

Maybe youre being too analytical and searching for something specific. You will not find anything besides flashing light in that case, as that is the only thing that is specific. The experience is subjective to each user, each session, and each time you use it. There is what is called the Guardian Response, opposite of the placebo effect. Subconsciously, if you dont think something is going to work, it wont.

Try looking at the inside of your eyelids as if you were watching a movie screen. Dont analyze, just watch. Relax, dont stress. This is the mind creating things that are not there- an optical illusion. The patterns for most are very subtle. Look for floaters in your eyes. There is also twilight visions that may surface during deep theta sessions.These are like a dream. Then there is the Ganzfeld Effect which is brought on by sensory deprivation and can bring on full blown hallucinations. Eyes open facilitates this. The eyes are open, there is light, but the brain is not registering any vision, so it makes up its own.

I dont think it is your eyes or any leakage of the goggles. Color selection can help. I see patterns most often when colors change. Also try adjusting the brightness. When creating sessions, sharpening the duty cycle, the amount of time the light flashing stays on vs off, has a great impact on sparking visuals.

Join the MindPlace Facebook group if you havent already. There is a discussion about this. I recently posted a session Psychedelic Journey that is designed to spark these visuals. Also search this forum for last years 30 Day Meditation Challenge downloads and try Vision Quest. https://www.facebook.com/groups/mind...0290813620181/

5. Default Re: Visual effect of lightframes

Very useful, thanks. I realise the visuals are an optical illusion of course, which is why i compared them with the Magic Eye 3D pictures in my initial post. Although I have not heard of the Guardian response, I think I may well be prone to it and that you have made a very valid point. I have joined the Facebook group as you suggested and will get hold of those sessions. If I experience any positive change, I will post here again. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Thread Information