Thread: Sounds normal?

Default Sounds normal?

New Proteus arrived. The audio seems to have background buzzing that is in synch with the frequency, going up and down in volume. Is this normal? I'd have thought I would get pure tones or beats, but this buzz/hum in the background is a bit of a surprise. Admitedly, I upgraded my headphones, opting for either heigh end cans or high end earphones for noisy environments. Is this just part of the package?

Default Re: Sounds normal?

By the way, further exploration reveals the buzz increases in volume when the decimal lights up on the display and decreases when it's not on. There is a constant "buzz" when I jump from mode to mode. It goes away when I hit the button to turn of the LED, leading me to believe I am getting EMF interference from the LED into the audio channel. Is that part of the design?

Blog Entries

Hi Rhandler,

Quote Originally Posted by rhandler View Post
    New Proteus arrived. The audio seems to have background buzzing that is in synch with the frequency, going up and down in volume. Is this normal? I'd have thought I would get pure tones or beats, but this buzz/hum in the background is a bit of a surprise. Admitedly, I upgraded my headphones, opting for either heigh end cans or high end earphones for noisy environments. Is this just part of the package?
    The buzz should go away when you press the bottom button on your console which will turn the display off.

Let me know if that works.

M.

As mentioned in my second post (after a little testing), that did work. The geek in me can't help but wonder if a little extra shielding or maybe a swtich from LED to LCD might be a good call in any future revisions to the design. Thanks for the advice. I guess it's just part of the charm of this overall great unit.

Hi, I am having this same problem, but turning off the display only helps some of the time. It seems to be more persistent if

a) the display is on
    b) the lights are turned up to full brightness
    c) the tone of the beats is lower (closer to 40 hz) -- but continues until higher range

any of these 3 factors can reproduce the buzzing described in the original post. simply turning off the display doesn't always do the trick. At this time I can't really use the included programs because the tone control is disabled. I also can't use the lights at their full intensity.

I have had my proteus since 2001 so I am way past the warranty period. The problem started about 6 months ago. Is there any way to repair this? A replacement simply isn't in the budget right now..

I am so embarrassed!

My father brought his proteus today when he came to visit, and I noticed my display is much dimmer than his. I changed out my batteries and now the buzzing is gone - and the display is bright again.

Go figure!

At least this experience led me to these forums so that I can learn more about my other challenges with proteus (and drool over the procyon which I didn't know about)

Sorry for my stupid question

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kdahl View Post
    I am so embarrassed!

My father brought his proteus today when he came to visit, and I noticed my display is much dimmer than his. I changed out my batteries and now the buzzing is gone - and the display is bright again.

Go figure!

At least this experience led me to these forums so that I can learn more about my other challenges with proteus (and drool over the procyon which I didn't know about)

Sorry for my stupid question
    Hi There,

No such thing as a stupid question. You know, you posting your experience and solution will likely help someone else who is experiencing the same problem. It would be nice for there to be a low battery indicator on the machine. I'll mention it to Robert and who knows ... if it can't be done with an OS update, perhaps it's something to consider in the design of the new machines.

Thank you for your input!

M.

Thread Information