Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

  1. Default Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Hi, I am a long term user of mind place products including proteus procyon and kasina. I purchased a kasina second hand and used it daily for the last year. Unfortunately it has developed a fault and cannot be charged and when it is plugged in there is just a white screen. As it is out of warranty, mindplace have advised that it would be too costly to send it back to them from UK to repair it. As I have nothing to lose I was going to take a look inside to check the capacitor etc. Does anyone know how to get inside without breaking the case please? I cannot justify purchasing another one in case it should fail or require the battery replacing outside warranty. Does anyone know of any machines that can be repaired in the UK if they should fail? Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,951
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Quote Originally Posted by dingbell1999 View Post
    Hi, I am a long term user of mind place products including proteus procyon and kasina. I purchased a kasina second hand and used it daily for the last year. Unfortunately it has developed a fault and cannot be charged and when it is plugged in there is just a white screen. As it is out of warranty, mindplace have advised that it would be too costly to send it back to them from UK to repair it. As I have nothing to lose I was going to take a look inside to check the capacitor etc. Does anyone know how to get inside without breaking the case please? I cannot justify purchasing another one in case it should fail or require the battery replacing outside warranty. Does anyone know of any machines that can be repaired in the UK if they should fail? Thank you
    I'm sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's not a charging issue, more like a display problem. Replacing the display might work, but it also might be the driver or another circuit problem. Are you adept at component-level electronics servicing? If not, then the advice to replace it with another one may be cheaper than paying to have it repaired.

    If you feel that the issue is charging or the battery, here are the instructions for remedying charging issues.
    Note that the cause of battery problems can often be a defective USB cable. Please swap USB cables if you have another one. The thicker the better.

    If your Kasina will not power on, then please try the following procedure exactly, particularly steps 2 to 4:

    1. Plug in your Kasina to a "known good" USB power source. This can be a USB power supply or the USB port on your computer, just check that it's working by using it to power another device in your house (cell phone/MP3 player, etc)
    2. Let it charge for a minimum of 1 hour
    3. After letting it charge, unplug the USB cable from the Kasina, and leave it disconnected for 15 seconds. Keep the other end of the USB cable connected to the USB power source
    4. Plug the USB cable back into the Kasina, again leaving it connected to the USB power source, and quickly press the power button on the Kasina
    5. Your Kasina SHOULD fire up at this point. You can now continue to charge the Kasina, noting the battery "filling" animation until the icon is solid green. While it's charging, take note of the above charging information under Settings/Service
    6. Send us the values from the above Settings/Service menu
    7. When the Kasina is fully charged, update it to the latest firmware


    If you are able to get it to fire up normally, then while the Kasina is plugged into the USB charger, and before it's charged fully, please go to Settings/Service and tell me what these numbers show:

    Batt. Voltage:
    Charge Curr.:
    CPU Voltage:
    USB Voltage:
    SN:
    FW:
    HW:

    If you would like to open up the Kasina to have a look around, it's pretty easy.
    -Andy.

    Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

  3. Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's not a charging issue, more like a display problem. Replacing the display might work, but it also might be the driver or another circuit problem. Are you adept at component-level electronics servicing? If not, then the advice to replace it with another one may be cheaper than paying to have it repaired.

    If you feel that the issue is charging or the battery, here are the instructions for remedying charging issues.
    Note that the cause of battery problems can often be a defective USB cable. Please swap USB cables if you have another one. The thicker the better.

    If your Kasina will not power on, then please try the following procedure exactly, particularly steps 2 to 4:

    1. Plug in your Kasina to a "known good" USB power source. This can be a USB power supply or the USB port on your computer, just check that it's working by using it to power another device in your house (cell phone/MP3 player, etc)
    2. Let it charge for a minimum of 1 hour
    3. After letting it charge, unplug the USB cable from the Kasina, and leave it disconnected for 15 seconds. Keep the other end of the USB cable connected to the USB power source
    4. Plug the USB cable back into the Kasina, again leaving it connected to the USB power source, and quickly press the power button on the Kasina
    5. Your Kasina SHOULD fire up at this point. You can now continue to charge the Kasina, noting the battery "filling" animation until the icon is solid green. While it's charging, take note of the above charging information under Settings/Service
    6. Send us the values from the above Settings/Service menu
    7. When the Kasina is fully charged, update it to the latest firmware


    If you are able to get it to fire up normally, then while the Kasina is plugged into the USB charger, and before it's charged fully, please go to Settings/Service and tell me what these numbers show:

    Batt. Voltage:
    Charge Curr.:
    CPU Voltage:
    USB Voltage:
    SN:
    FW:
    HW:

    If you would like to open up the Kasina to have a look around, it's pretty easy.
    Thank you, you are a superstar. I have a feeling it is a capacity as it was making a very high pitch sound. I am thinking of purchasing another one but just a bit worried it will fail out of warranty. How long is the standard warranty please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,951
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Quote Originally Posted by dingbell1999 View Post
    Thank you, you are a superstar. I have a feeling it is a capacity as it was making a very high pitch sound. I am thinking of purchasing another one but just a bit worried it will fail out of warranty. How long is the standard warranty please?
    "Capacity"?

    Please try my suggestion on charging, maybe we'll get lucky and it will fix the problem?
    If your Kasina has firmware 2.04 or newer (latest is 2.07) then if the device is charging, an LED around the control will will pulse on and off blue as an indication that it's charging.

    A new product from amazon, mindplace.com or an authorized dealer will carry a 2 year warranty on the console and 1 year on the accessories (Ganzframes, earbuds, cables, etc.)
    -Andy.

    Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    "Capacity"?

    Please try my suggestion on charging, maybe we'll get lucky and it will fix the problem?
    If your Kasina has firmware 2.04 or newer (latest is 2.07) then if the device is charging, an LED around the control will will pulse on and off blue as an indication that it's charging.

    A new product from amazon, mindplace.com or an authorized dealer will carry a 2 year warranty on the console and 1 year on the accessories (Ganzframes, earbuds, cables, etc.)
    Hi Andy,

    In the previous reply you gave a Dropbox link "Its easy" about opening the Kasina case. Link is no longer valid. Could you reactivate it ?
    And just above you wrote "If your Kasina has firmware 2.04 or newer (latest is 2.07)". In support last is FW2.06 Feb 2019.
    Does a 2.07 released ? Thanks.
    Pierre

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,951
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Quote Originally Posted by sisgene View Post
    Hi Andy,

    In the previous reply you gave a Dropbox link "Its easy" about opening the Kasina case. Link is no longer valid. Could you reactivate it ?
    Done. Here.

    And just above you wrote "If your Kasina has firmware 2.04 or newer (latest is 2.07)". In support last is FW2.06 Feb 2019.
    Does a 2.07 released ? Thanks.
    Pierre
    It's not part of the downloads yet. No new features, but if you want to update I've attached it here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Andy.

    Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

  7. Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    The link to the video "Opening a Kasina" is expired, you could re-upload. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,951
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Opening the Kasina without breaking the case

    Please contact support@mindplace.com for the video and to get assistance with your product.
    -Andy.

    Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Case
    By enigma-2 in forum Kasina & Limina
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2020, 01:13 PM
  2. Found a Great Case for My Ganzframes
    By gman in forum Kasina & Limina
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 10:39 AM
  3. Case for Kasina
    By mnemonic in forum Kasina & Limina
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 03:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •