Thread: Staris to Explosion

1. Default Staris to Explosion

I'm kinda late to the party here (just got a Procyon last year, right before it was discontinued---really wanted something directly programmable without embedding the program in an audio file, and knew it was the last of its kind).

My goal, in general, has been recreation and interesting mental visuals.

I noticed that a lot of the included programs have discontinuities in both the sound and visual component (sudden switches in color, flash frequency, or sound frequency). This can cause a pretty cool effect, due to the "shock" of the sudden transition. On the other hand, it can be distracting.

I wanted to experiment with a program that changed a lot, but was completely continuous. In other words, there are various ramps, but they all connect together with no jumps.

I also wanted to experiment with interference patterns between colors, where they are flashing at slightly different frequencies. That can be so overwhelming, however, that I think it's best saved for a kind of grand finale, after you work up to it.

I've observed that, at least for me, the most interesting visual patterns occur at around 10 Hz, so this entire program runs at that frequency (for both lights and binaural beats), except for the smooth ramp-up at the beginning, and smooth ramp-down at the end (starts and ends at 1 Hz).

Despite running at 10 Hz the whole time, this program gives you a roller-coaster feeling, where you climb higher and higher on each subsequent hill. That illusion is created through the sound carrier frequency getting higher and higher (while the binaural beats remain steady at 10 Hz, but the tone rises and falls) and through the colors "rising" to more and more dazzling hues (always dipping back down to blue at the bottom of each hill).

The explosion at the end is achieved through a white 10 Hz flash where the red component is 0.25 Hz fast, and the green component is 0.25 Hz slow, with blue remaining steady at 10 Hz. This creates a complex interference pattern that cycles at the rate of 0.25 Hz, or every 4 seconds. However, the "center-point", even during the explosive finale, is still at 10 Hz. Because the transition into this interference pattern state is smooth and gradual, it's even more complex than described (as red moves smoothly from 10 Hz to 10.25 Hz, and green moves smoothly from 10 Hz to 9.75 Hz).

But because there are no discontinuities, it feels like a cohesive experience, all the way up to and beyond the explosion. Like a series of bigger and bigger waves washing over you, always dipping back down into tranquil blue before the next wave swells.

This is a short program with a pretty gentle introduction, and it eases you gradually into a total visual overload by the end. Thus, it makes a great "demo" for friends who are trying your Procyon for the first time.

Meant to be viewed via Ganzframes through open eyes.

Total run time: 8 minutes 30 seconds.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Default Re: Staris to Explosion

Thank you for your contribution, Jason!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information