Thread: Repairing mind machines

1. Default Repairing mind machines

Hello everyone

I think I know the likely answer to this question, but I might as well ask. I am only an occasional user of these machines. I have a Proteus and an even older Orion bought from a company called LifeTools many years ago. They have always been reliable. Today I thought I would the Proteus again. It refused to switch on. I changed the batteries and still no luck. Orion the same. Usually the program number comes up in the display, but today nothing. Conversely, a Thoughtstream which has seen even less use started up no problem at all.

It may well be that the old batteries have caused damage by being left in the machines, although both battery compartments are clean, with no sign of corrosion. I even tested with my multimeter to check the full voltage across the three batteries; nothing wrong there, but neither machine will display anything. Have I missed something obvious? If not - is there anywhere that is willing to repair these units?

Many thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Hello!

I assume you don't have the AC adapter for your Proteus? If so, try that and see if it powers on. That would tell you if the problem is a battery or connection issue at least.

You're welcome to send the devices to MindPlace for evaluation, there's no charge. However, since neither of those products are made anymore, if they can't be repaired, you would likely have to purchase a new or refurbished product to replace them. Like a Procyon or Limina.

Another option would be to look on eBay for a deal on a used device. Just make sure they guarantee that it's in working condition.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Sorry to be so late in replying to your helpful post. I've never had an AC adaptor for the Proteus. Does it need to be an adaptor specific to Proteus or would a standard item of the correct voltage and ampage be OK? And where on the Proteus would in connect?

Blog Entries

You can use a universal if you can't find the exact one. See here for details:
    http://mindplacesupport.com/forum/showthread.php?371-Proteus-AC-Adapter
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Thank you for the link on the adapter parameters. Now I know I have to look for an adapter with 7.5V and 200mA.

6. Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Quote Originally Posted by kennystone View Post
    Thank you for the link on the adapter parameters. Now I know I have to look for an adapter with 7.5V and 200mA.
    As far as I know such an adapter is rare.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexsandro111 View Post
    As far as I know such an adapter is rare.
    Not sure why you'd say that. You can get a universal adapter anywhere, and they're cheap.
    eg: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dc+7.5v+adapter
    -Andy.

8. Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Thanks for the info, I wonder how reliable voltage switch adapters are. I honestly didn't have much confidence in them before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexsandro111 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I wonder how reliable voltage switch adapters are. I honestly didn't have much confidence in them before.
    Like anything, I'm sure there's good ones and bad ones. Check reviews and don't buy the cheapest one you can find! (If it's priced too low, there's a reason for that!)
    -Andy.

10. Default Re: Repairing mind machines

Ok, thanks for the recommendation!

Thread Information