Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating Kasina Firmware on MacOS Catalina

Default Updating Kasina Firmware on MacOS Catalina

I downloaded the current firmware updater for the Mac, but my computer says it can not be opened. Does it support macOS Catalina, and if so, any suggestions to get it to load? I thought I'd try the Basic Session Editor (as I thought I read somewhere previously that it could update the firmware), but my computer says it needs to be updated to support the current operating system.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Updating Kasina Firmware on MacOS Catalina

Current firmware updater works for all versions of MacOS and Windows.
    Because you're downloading it from the internet, there's an additional step you have to take to run it on Mac.
    I believe you right-click (Control-Click) the .app and select "open". It will tell you the program was downloaded from the internet, but just click open anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...lp/mh40616/mac
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

No dice with the control click, unfortunately. The specific message I get when I try to open it is "The application MPFWUpdater can't be opened." The message I get for the Basic Session Editor is "Kasina Basic Session Editor needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of MacOS. Contact the developer for more information." I have tried deleting and redownloading the files and get the same message. As an added step, I tried to open the contents of the MPFWUpdater app (MPFWUpdater>Contents>MacOS>MPFWUpdater), but that was noted to be a TextEdit file that just spewed a bunch of text when opened. For giggles, I changed the extension to .app, and that also resulted in a message that it could not be opened. I recently updated my system software to macOS Catalina 10.15.1.

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry about this. Full disclosure, I wrote that app, and did test it on Catalina. Turns out it works fine when I copy the app to my Catalina computer, but you are absolutely right, it will not work when downloaded from the support site.
    There must be something specific in Catalina that stops programs from working when downloaded.
    As I say, the program DEFINITELY works on Catalina, just not when downloaded from the support site.
    However, on Mojave, when downloaded it works fine. So it's not the file or website, there's something specific about Catalina and downloads that I'll have to research.

VERY sorry for the issue, and thank you SO MUCH for letting me know. I will get this fixed ASAP.

Meanwhile, here is a link to a dropbox copy of the app which I think will work. I'm going to test this now on my Catalina machine.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Bah! That doesn't work either!

No matter what, you should always be able to update the Kasina manually. Please don't waste any more time on this and just use the "manual" method to update your firmware. I'll post back when I've got this fixed. It's VERY strange. The program works fine if I copy the app to my Catalina machine, but not if it's downloaded from the internet or DropBox. I have to figure this out obviously!!

Here are the steps:

1. Download the latest firmware from the support site and save it to your desktop.
    2. Double-click the file to extract the .bin file from the archive.
    3. Using the included USB cable, connect one end to a USB port on your computer, and the other to your Kasina.
    4. Power off your Kasina if it is on.
    5. While holding the centre button on the Kasina, power it on.
    6. You should see a blue screen with some text on it. (Similar to the image below)
    7. On your computer's desktop, you should see a new device called KMMS Update or something similar.
    8. Double click this new device, and inside should be a file called Firmware.bin.
    9. Drag this firmware.bin file to the trash.
    10. Drag the .bin file that you have on your desktop (step 2) into the KMMS Update device.
    11. Wait for the file to finish copying.
    12. "Safely Remove" the KMMS Update device by dragging it to the trash.
    13. Power off the Kasina by pressing the power button.
    14. Power on the Kasina normally by pressing and holding the power button until it powers on.
    15. Select Settings then Service
    16. Look at the 2nd last line which starts with FW: it should show something like KasinaFW2.04
    17. All done!

Kasina FW Update Screen.jpg
    -Andy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bambilina View Post
    As an added step, I tried to open the contents of the MPFWUpdater app (MPFWUpdater>Contents>MacOS>MPFWUpdater), but that was noted to be a TextEdit file that just spewed a bunch of text when opened. For giggles, I changed the extension to .app, and that also resulted in a message that it could not be opened. I recently updated my system software to macOS Catalina 10.15.1.
    Funnily enough, you were on the right track. That "TextEdit" file needs to be changed to an executable. I presume Catalina is doing this to "protect" us from bad executables and viruses... :-(
    See here:

Of course, I can't leave it like this, I do need to fix this, but at least I now know what Catalina is doing to corrupt the download!
    -Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Bah! That doesn't work either!

No matter what, you should always be able to update the Kasina manually.
    Should is the operative word. Didnt realize my Kasina is running FW1.14 (was intermittently using the preinstalled sessions, so it never occurred to me to check for updates). Thank you for the heads up about the manual update, as I did not notice that option in the manual, and could not figure where it was located in the menu on the device.

I tried multiple times to follow your instructions, but it took forever to copy the small .bin file. The Finder would often freeze when I tried to eject the Kasina, and even when it did eject safely after another very long wait, it looked like it kept the old firmware version (must have generated a new copy despite me deleting it first, very odd, and there would be no trace of the multiple copies of my prior attempts). I tried copying one of the old firmware updates (1.16), and the same thing happened.

I also tried working on a different strategy. Update the firmware in steps, starting with FW1.16 using another computer (also running the latest version of Catalina). Still took a while just to copy the 255KB file. I tried renaming the copied file firmware.bin before I ejected it, but when I powered it on, the firmware version still did not change (and the copied newer file was again replaced by an old version modified in 2008). Unless you got any other suggestions, I might have to dig up an older computer that might have Mojave or Sierra installed and pray that it will make a difference.

Blog Entries

Wow! I'm so sorry about all this! I so much appreciate though the feedback. This is literally the first I've heard of this problem, but I know not that many people have changed to Catalina due to all the issues. I myself will not be updating for quite some time.

Anyway, it was all supposed to be just as easy as can be. I've done hundreds of firmware updates and never had the kind of issues that you're going through.

Maybe to save yourself the frustration, let me keep working on what the Catalina issue is and see if I can somehow solve that.

Relax with a Kasina session and I'll keep working on this, with my sincere apologies for all the trouble. I'll post back when I figure this out.
    -Andy.

Blog Entries

The Archive app in Catalina is broken. Using the FREE app called The UnArchiver , the file unzips properly and works as it should.

You can download and use that (after installing The UnArchiver, you'd control-click on the .zip file you downloaded and choose "open with..." and choose "The UnArchiver" and it will unzip the .app properly and it will work. You'll still need to control-click the .app and choose "open" the first time to stop seeing the warning about the program being downloaded from the internet.

Or, I think I'll try and see how to use a .dmg instead of .zip file to archive the program to see if that makes a difference. Might take a few days for me to figure that out though.

I guess now we know it's the Archive program in Catalina is broken, not my software! Whew!
    -Andy.

Apple policies do not favor small businesses; they would prefer that all apps be aquired from their app store, which does not help when there are dozens not thousands of users for a particular app. My Windows laptop is running 64 bits but has no problem running 32 bit apps, so I don't understand why Apple can't maintain that same compatibility. I'm not updating to Catalina because my old MOTY 896HD audio interface will cease to function, as well as several other bits of software that I use regularly but are made by single programmers with limited time and resources to convert to the 64 bit world. Anyway, thanks to you both for working through this conundrum!

Thread Information