Thread: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

Default Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

It is proven that tactile stimulation can cause entrainment in the brain. Years ago I a recall a device in the form of a yoga mat that could be set to give tactile stimulation for various brainwave frequencies. I don't think it took off very well (it was pretty expensive), as I don't see it available anymore. I did find this device https://techcrunch.com/2015/06/16/doppel/

I have also experimented with a TENS unit, but I have not found a device where you can dial in specific pulse frequencies.

I think having such a device would be a benefit especially for students wishing to sharpen their focus in classroom or lecture settings, and possibly to help calm individuals with social anxiety or to calm you down when making a speech.

Anybody have any experience with this type of stimulation for entrainment, or have any info on devices using this method?

Default Re: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

I've dabbled a little in electrical stimulation in the past to induce a trance state, although the level of stimulation and the equipment required would probably not be practical for classroom or mobile use. The devices I have used did have a setting to adjust the impulse frequency and pulse width, but full disclosure they were basically TENS units rebranded as sex toys (you have been warned, but if you're not faint of heart, I added links to a couple of them). There are several sites that sell adapters for the different connectors (pin, snap, banana, etc), to allow a variety of applications (such as attaching to acupuncture needles, cupping sets, EKG electrodes, gloves/socks...as well as more nefarious attachments). Some can even pulse to sound, which is what really peaked my interest as an accessory to my AVS tech (unfortunately I had neither the time nor the skill to integrate the two...yet).

The MyStim Tension Lover https://www.mystim.com/en/tension-lover-p52
    Basically a handheld TENS unit, but the dials are such a pretty pink! It runs on batteries and uses TENS plugs, but comes with adapters to pins.

The Erostek312B https://erostek.com/collections/powe...tal-power-unit
    Very powerful and customizable, you can totally geek out on this one with the advanced menu settings and make your own custom sessions with software if you have the skills. It is rechargeable with long battery life and can pulse to audio (music, ambient, or even voice).

There may be less dirty versions of these devices sold somewhere, but these were the first ones I got to test at a convention before shelling out the money. I've seen other estim units used when I tried to learn acupuncture, like the one below, but I never got to demo.

https://www.acu-market.com/product/8...o-therapy-unit
    https://www.lhasaoms.com/promotions/awq-104l

Hope this helps

Thanks Bambilina, this does help.

Amazon has some TENs units that go for around $30 that come with a belt clip to be used on the go. The units I have used have pre programmed waveforms and settings, but I haven't seen anything that you can dial in, besides the Tension Lover link you sent. $200 is a bit steep for what it is, but it is on the right track for what I'm looking for.

Who knows, tying in a sexy use to BWE/ AVE might just provide the interest to bring it mainstream!

4. Default Re: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    Amazon has some TENs units that go for around $30 that come with a belt clip to be used on the go. The units I have used have pre programmed waveforms and settings, but I haven't seen anything that you can dial in, besides the Tension Lover link you sent. $200 is a bit steep for what it is, but it is on the right track for what I'm looking for.
    Look for Auvon 32, it has manual mode where you can set pulse frequency, width , waveform and cost 50$

5. Default Re: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

Are there any cheaper alternatives to Auvon 32?

6. Default Re: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

Hi,

Has anybody here actually demonstrated EEG brain entrainment using any electrical stimulation device?

John

7. Default Re: Tactile Stimulation for Entrainment

Well, I just ordered the Auvon 32 unit from Amazon. For $32, it seems like a no-brainer to test this in the lab, myself. Even if it doesn't work for entraining EEG, I've had chronic lower back pain for a while, now, and have considered trying TENS therapy, anyway.

John

I haven't seen much specific research, but any stimulation that produces a cortical response should evoke entrainment. Back when BWE was in it's early heyday, there was a "tactile vibration meditation board" or something, that was a mat that you sat on and it vibrated to select frequencies to entrain the user into deeper meditative states.

Therefore, the rhythmic pulses of a TENS should effect brainwave patterns if precisely controlled to brainwave frequencies. TENS does provide local pain relief, my thought is to pulse the stimulation to brainwave frequencies associated to pain relief (10 Hz, delta, sub delta) to provide global pain relief as well.

The other thought is to use TENS to inconspicuously provide entrainment in the beta range to boost focus and help ADHD in a school setting.

Like John, I will test this out myself with an Emotiv Epoc. My concern is that the electric activity may interfere with the EEG, or it may be difficult to determine if entrainment is taking place, or I am just picking up a cortical response.

Thread Information