Thread: Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

1. Default Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

I'm not sure that binocular (as opposed to binaural) beats are even a thing, but there's definitely some merging that happens at the center of your visual field.

With the simple mind machine that I've made myself, I get the best results with the flashes ping-ponging back and forth between the two eyes, and I'm sure the professional machines support this as a waveform.

But I'm wondering... exactly how programmable are the high end machines?

Are they so programmable that they can feed different frequencies into the two eyes, which would create some kind of phase patterns in the center of the visual field?

Are they so programmable that they can flash red light in the left eye and the green light in the right eye?

And if so, which of the two machines offered is the most programmable?

Default Re: Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrohrer View Post
    I'm not sure that binocular (as opposed to binaural) beats are even a thing, but there's definitely some merging that happens at the center of your visual field.

With the simple mind machine that I've made myself, I get the best results with the flashes ping-ponging back and forth between the two eyes, and I'm sure the professional machines support this as a waveform.

But I'm wondering... exactly how programmable are the high end machines?

Are they so programmable that they can feed different frequencies into the two eyes, which would create some kind of phase patterns in the center of the visual field?

Are they so programmable that they can flash red light in the left eye and the green light in the right eye?

And if so, which of the two machines offered is the most programmable?
    Ping- ponging is called "alternate eye flashing" entrainment. The rate of the oscillations can be controlled to specific frequencies. The same can be done with sound using isochronic tones or sound modulation. This form of entrainment leaves a very strong imprint on the brain, and is very useful for those with over- active minds. The downside is that it can cause "harmonics" or echos in the brain, stimulating unwanted brainwave frequencies.

Spectrastrobe (Kasina) is completely programmable. Each eye and each color can be controlled independently of each other at different flashing rates if so desired.

3. Default Re: Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

I looked at the Kasina v2.0 editor, and I didn't see a way to adjust each eye independently, or adjust the eye rate separately from the sound rate. There is a phase setting for the light which controls L-R phase, and can be set to 50% to achieve alternate eye flashing.

Sounds like SpectraStrobe is a more powerful format than KBS, but how do you edit it?

Looks like Mind Workstation from Transparent Corp is no longer available.

4. Default Re: Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

Ah, I found this:

https://github.com/CymaticLabs/Spect...ster/README.md

So it sounds like, via amplitude modulation of sine waves at those three frequencies, and doing it in stereo, you can fully control the RGB-right and RGB-left independently with whatever weird waveforms you desire.

That is powerful, but also kinda difficult to wield with a standard audio editor. Fixed frequencies should be pretty easy to achieve, but variable frequencies much harder.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any mind machines that support binocular beats?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonrohrer View Post
    Sounds like SpectraStrobe is a more powerful format than KBS, but how do you edit it?

Looks like Mind Workstation from Transparent Corp is no longer available.
    Use your favourite DAW with the SS VST plugin. (free)
    http://mindplacesupport.com/forum/sh...e-VST-plug-ins
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information