Thread: Sleep Program with Red Lights

Default Sleep Program with Red Lights

I use my Procyon every morning (almost) to meditate. I would like to use it at night as well to meditate and prepare me for sleep, but I don't like the "Night Voyage" factory-loaded programs at all because they have so much blue light. The blue light really messes up my sleep. I think this was a major flaw in the factory-loaded programs. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bad-for-sleep/)

I'm really wanting a sleep program that uses only red and orange light and no blue whatsoever.

Has anyone created such a sleep program that they could share?

If nobody has done that already, I'm wondering if one of the factory-loaded "Night Voyage" sessions could be modified to be exactly the same except with only red and orange light instead of blue.

I'm not technical and not interested in trying to do the programming for this, so would someone who knows how to program the Procyon be up for creating such a session for me and the community?

I'm not sure how many hours this might take someone, but I would be willing to pay someone a good rate for an hour or two of work to do this if that motivated someone.

Thanks,
    Brad

Default Re: Sleep Program with Red Lights

Brad,

I have edited the Night Voyage factorysession. Turned of the blue led. Hope this helps for you. Let me know.

Kind regards,
    Simon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Simon! I really appreciate this. I couldn't open the zip file though. I got the message that the zip file was empty. Could you perhaps try zipping and uploading the fiile again?

True. I use 7zip. The website didn't allow 7z and I changed the .z7 into .zip. If you reverse it back to .z7 you can open the file. To be sure I attached a zipped file.

Hope this helps.

Simon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for doing this, Simon. Unfortunately, with the blue lights simply turned off, a lot of the sessions have no lights coming on at all for much of the session. These night sessions are really heavy on the blue, so there isn't much left of them after turning the blue lights off without replacing them with more red.

I think creating good quality, useful sleep sessions would require the blues to be changed to reds rather than just turning the blues off. I imagine that would be a lot more work to create than just turning them off though. Any thoughts on that, Simon?

Ultimately, I wish mindplace would take into account the research on blue light for sleep and fix their factory sessions accordingly.

I'd still be interested in hiring someone to convert the sleep sessions to use all red light in place of the predominance of blue lights. (Actually replace the blue lights with red, not just turn the blue lights off.)

You can swap color channels using the Procyon Editor, under Utilities/Swap Color Channels. Or just turn off the blue (and green?) channels, and modify the red amplitude if you'd like. Another path would be to convert Proteus sleep programs into Procyon format using our conversion tool (http://mindplacesupport.com/procyon-2/#software) and upload these to Procyon or add them to your album; the converted sessions will all be lacking in blue unless you decided to add that color.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Austin View Post
    You can swap color channels using the Procyon Editor, under Utilities/Swap Color Channels. Or just turn off the blue (and green?) channels, and modify the red amplitude if you'd like. Another path would be to convert Proteus sleep programs into Procyon format using our conversion tool (http://mindplacesupport.com/procyon-2/#software) and upload these to Procyon or add them to your album; the converted sessions will all be lacking in blue unless you decided to add that color.
    Thanks for your response. It sounds a little beyond (ok, way beyond) my technical abilities to do this. (Transferring a new program onto my procyon is a stretch for me.) I'd sure appreciate someone creating a red-only sleep program such as you describe though.

9. Default Re: Sleep Program with Red Lights

Have you been able to resolve the color of the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPhilips View Post
    Have you been able to resolve the color of the lights?
    No, I still can't/won't use my procyon at night because the blue lights mess up my sleep. I would still LOVE to get at least one sleep program that has only red lights.

Thread Information