Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Default Re: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Quote Originally Posted by Renovartia View Post
    JoeV,

How did we all get off the IDEA of using VMWARE or VIRTUAL-BOX to get Transparent Corp. Mind Workstation Software working on that platform anyway...?!!

Come on bro, don't give up so easy.. I went through the HEADACHE of learning how to install and operate Virtual Machine Software; you could at least unlock that software for those who paid for it to get it working again to operate it on a Virtual machine..

Come on bro.. Don't roll over like this man....
    Look JoeV/ Adam Hewitt..
    The people here aren't asking for much, they just want the Software they PAID FOR working on their computers; We're are even making (time consuming) compromises to get this software to work.. THERE IS A SOLUTION, THERE IS A SOLUTION.
    I am not affiliated, and have not been affiliated with Transparent Corp. for many years. I'm in the same boat is you bro.

I am yet another person who bought the $700 package who is upset.

OK. We got screwed. How about we Kickstarter something? All the alternatives for creating commercial content are sub par to what Transparent produced.

1. We could Kickstarter a replacement software solution. The science is not that hard.

2. We could Kickstarter a Hack. We bought it. Lets get someone to crack the security and allow us to keep using our software on either Windows 7 machines or Windows 7 Virtual Machines.

Thoughts?
    At first this was my thought as well. Upon further contemplation I realize that such a venture would take at least a year or two and a lot of effort. Assembling some kind of a business plan to assure investors that a profit can be made on such a venture would be a dubious task. There would be no guarantee that such a venture would result in the same outcome as Transparent Corp.

Time to move on and look to new solutions for creating AS/SS content.
    Personally, I've given up on my copy of MWS and NP3 and am investigating the possibility of creating a SS DAW plug-in which I think would be the fastest and easiest way forward. There probably is one for AS already; there's certainly plenty of AS creation software out there, so SS is the main issue, even though there are ways to create SS content using MuLab and Audacity, I'd like to see something that works with Reaper and other favourite DAW software.
    I agree with this. This would be the fastest way to get some semblance of a MWS replacement relatively cheap. I am leaning towards Reaper. It is a very powerful DAW, very cheap if not free, and very plastic. It can be molded to any form you want, and the developers seem to encourage that. The only problem is that it is very complex. The learning curve would be quite an undertaking as is. Making a commercially available product would be a customer service nightmare. Best solution would be shareware and leave the training to use the product mostly in the hands of the user.

I suggest a group effort to preserve everything we can. Downloaded install files of various revision levels. Archived materials from the Members Area. Etc.

We bought licenses that last forever. I do not see any legal jeopardy in us working together to archive the paid for material and even crack the security. We would only enter legal jeopardy if we started selling it (the software, not our content) or giving it away.

If there is interest I will donate a domain for depositing the files. We can even member lock it to prevent mass distribution.

Lets preserve what we have the legal right to. Then figure the next step. I am not ready to lose access to this tech. Its too damn useful and nothing on the market compares.
    PDF copies of NP3 and MWS Help Documentation. A wealth of information here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f99ez53yx...81%29.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiftd3i9k3...81%29.pdf?dl=0

NP3 sessions that can be imported into MWS for those who still have it running

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e8bhdxqmc...erapy.zip?dl=0

Anything I can do to help. I feel your pain.

2. Default Re: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Purchased the domain name yesterday. My server guys are setting up the site on my server.

Selecting a WordPress CMS and installing Friday. Will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    This is a great Idea just post the link to the to the domain and I will put there all my material I have gathered inklusive licence key.Thank you

3. Default Re: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Quote Originally Posted by kiadragon View Post
    Purchased the domain name yesterday. My server guys are setting up the site on my server.

Selecting a WordPress CMS and installing Friday. Will keep you updated.
    I'm glad you are doing this. I'd be happy to donate small amounts from time to time to help with cost of ops hosting and support software.

I suggest that general membership is completely open to read/discuss/problem solve and continually bash the transparent team until they come to their senses.

Access to any shared downloads of transparent should be restricted to people that provide a copy of a purchase receipt or similar evidence of license associated with the identity / email they register with. Any page with files for upload/download should say clearly that responsibility of upload/download is held by the individuals participating (though only available to certified tc users as mentioned).

One step further would be if people can upload working VMs with key software installed for few VM player environments. Since the software doesn't activate, downloading the raw files might not be helpful. This requires some thought around proof-of-license for the underlying OS as well. If the player only runs on Windows, maybe that would be sufficient. Some research is needed.

It would be worth asking Adam if he would sanction this, without participating in any way. One step up, letting this group run the license server and support key management for registered users. Yet another step, if they would provide source code for use by licensed users, or to open source, that would be even better. With the source code, a version that works on Windows 10 could be created with far less effort than recreating the functionality.

I've used wishlistmember before and its pretty easy to set up with security controls needed for a public / semi-public / private site. I'm sure there are many other similar tools.

Best,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_hoog View Post
    I'm glad you are doing this. I'd be happy to donate small amounts from time to time to help with cost of ops hosting and support software.

I suggest that general membership is completely open to read/discuss/problem solve and continually bash the transparent team until they come to their senses.

Access to any shared downloads of transparent should be restricted to people that provide a copy of a purchase receipt or similar evidence of license associated with the identity / email they register with. Any page with files for upload/download should say clearly that responsibility of upload/download is held by the individuals participating (though only available to certified tc users as mentioned).

One step further would be if people can upload working VMs with key software installed for few VM player environments. Since the software doesn't activate, downloading the raw files might not be helpful. This requires some thought around proof-of-license for the underlying OS as well. If the player only runs on Windows, maybe that would be sufficient. Some research is needed.

It would be worth asking Adam if he would sanction this, without participating in any way. One step up, letting this group run the license server and support key management for registered users. Yet another step, if they would provide source code for use by licensed users, or to open source, that would be even better. With the source code, a version that works on Windows 10 could be created with far less effort than recreating the functionality.

I've used wishlistmember before and its pretty easy to set up with security controls needed for a public / semi-public / private site. I'm sure there are many other similar tools.

Best,
    Dan
    Very noble Dan. I don’t think Adam can do much even if he wanted to. My recent correspondence with him revealed that he does not have much control over what the former Transparent Corp does. It is now brain.fm with many board members. Adam is now concentrating on research funded by a sizable federal grant.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    Very noble Dan. I dont think Adam can do much even if he wanted to. My recent correspondence with him revealed that he does not have much control over what the former Transparent Corp does. It is now brain.fm with many board members. Adam is now concentrating on research funded by a sizable federal grant.
    Hi Joev did you give up on the idea of setting up kickstarter to recreate WMS? please don't set up a page

6. Default Re: Neuro-Programmer and Mind Workstation

Hi all, I'm a computer expert of sorts (System Admin) but NOT a programmer. Anyway, I have identified that Mind Workstation and NeuroProgrammer are protected with a software virtualization system that is meant to keep people from looking at it's code. Also, it has that hardware-specific activation license that can't activate anymore since they took the license servers down. It effectively has 2 protection locks on it but they both can be broken, they are not one of a couple that are practically impossible to break. I know enough to explain to someone what needs done but lack the skill to do it. This doesn't take into account any legality. Basically, a skilled software reverser could, in theory, remove the virtualization protection and remove any need for activation (effectively making it just setup and work in Pro or ultimate). If this was all complete the program would probably never work correctly under windows 10 unless someone went to extra effort to figure out the .NET error and work around it, which I believe is most likely not even feasible. The issue is I don't know anyone personally, and while I could purchase such services online, well... the places are shady. However, it can be fixed, I personally believe Adam wouldn't have the skills to reverse engineer his protections like some guys would. And the thing is they would only be willing to help for money and I don't know how much. I'm at a point where I'm throwing in the towel, I'm just backup recording all the built-in sessions for personal use through a Windows 7 Virtual Machine OS and then gonna forget about it.

7. Default Re: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Hi all, been reading this forum for a while and I'm as well affected by the inability to reactivate my NP3 copy. It seems that some members have working copies of both NP3 and MWS. My suggestion is this: There is a way to convert a physical computer into a virtual machine. You just need the right software to do so. The idea I have is to guide the members of this forums willing to participate and having working copies of both programs to convert their machines into virtual ones and distribute them among the affected. In this way we can continue using the software we paid for while we wait for a solution from TC or Adam (unlikely to happen, unfortunately). This won't be piracy since all of us paid for our licenses. A way to distribute the VMs would be for a member to show proof of purchase and then a link to download it will be shared. Let me know your thoughts about this.

8. Default Re: Neuro-Programmer and Mind Workstation

I agree with this assessment for a few reasons. First, the DMCA prohibits tampering with most copy protection schemes. I'm not sure if demonstrated ownership helps if the solution is reaching other people. Second, the technical approach to breaking the software isn't known until you get there. This could be an afternoon for a skilled and motived individual, or an endless rabbit hole that doesn't reach a result. You can't really know without trying.

I recommend the re-distribution of working VMs to validated members. Frankly, the best thing is for Transparent Corp and its original team to make this happen or at least explicitly condone it. A W7 (or even earlier W10) VM with working software would bridge most people's issues.

Meanwhile, be sure to buy the minimum brain.fm trial, including on ios/android, and review whenever possible based on how happy you are with the company. How can anyone trust the validity of current/future products, when they overtly walk away from perpetual licenses they sold for years, knowingly hobbling those past licenses.

The closest competitor is SHARM. I've owned both forever, so I will phase that in for new work. Some of the precise control, modulation methods, and 3D effects, are MWS only, as I recall. I haven't checked SHARM in a long time.

As for Adam essentially saying I don't really do that anymore, I think that is a smokescreen. All we are asking is for his help voicing a strong opinion to the TC/brain.fm team and sway a tiny accommodation and effort. They have the software to keep legacy license server and download services online. No one is asking for them to re-launch an updated product... The response sounds like he's checked out on his own reputation to me. If he said he pushed X, Y, Z, relentlessly and no one budged, I might change my opinion.

Best,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by secretsnow View Post
    Hi all, I'm a computer expert of sorts (System Admin) but NOT a programmer. Anyway, I have identified that Mind Workstation and NeuroProgrammer are protected with a software virtualization system that is meant to keep people from looking at it's code. Also, it has that hardware-specific activation license that can't activate anymore since they took the license servers down. It effectively has 2 protection locks on it but they both can be broken, they are not one of a couple that are practically impossible to break. I know enough to explain to someone what needs done but lack the skill to do it. This doesn't take into account any legality. Basically, a skilled software reverser could, in theory, remove the virtualization protection and remove any need for activation (effectively making it just setup and work in Pro or ultimate). If this was all complete the program would probably never work correctly under windows 10 unless someone went to extra effort to figure out the .NET error and work around it, which I believe is most likely not even feasible. The issue is I don't know anyone personally, and while I could purchase such services online, well... the places are shady. However, it can be fixed, I personally believe Adam wouldn't have the skills to reverse engineer his protections like some guys would. And the thing is they would only be willing to help for money and I don't know how much. I'm at a point where I'm throwing in the towel, I'm just backup recording all the built-in sessions for personal use through a Windows 7 Virtual Machine OS and then gonna forget about it.

Default Re: Neuro-Programmer and Mind Workstation

I have a working MWS Version on one of my Laptops.(Windows 10)
    Now my qiestion is there a Software with which I could make a transferable clone to another Pc so I could put it here?

10. Default Re: The Death of transparentcorp and MWS

Hi Thalassa,

If you follow this guide, you will be able to convert your laptop into a Virtual Machine:

https://www.joe0.com/2017/09/27/how-...rtual-machine/

You will use only free or open source software, so no cost for you. This will generate a file you can share with other people for them to have a working copy of MWS.

Does anyone have a working copy of NP3 Ultimate Edition as well? You can follow exactly the same procedure explained in the link go to generate a working VM (Virtual Machine).

Please let us know if you need any help with the process and I'll be happy to assist.

Thread Information