Thread: Questions re. what machine to buy

1. Default Questions re. what machine to buy

Hey there!

I've spent some time researching the Kasina and the Procyon (reading all the posts about it), yet I still am not sure which one to get.
    What I'm after
    1. Isochronic and binaural beats without music, sound effects etc
    2. Non-flashing constant light, as well as flashes
    3. The ability to program the lights in such a way as to give the illusion of forward movement

Particularly number 3 - is it possible to attain such an effect for any long amount of time? I know some people report the experience of moving through tunnels etc., and that it takes some experimentation.
    would the Kasina or Procyon be better for this? From what I can tell, the Kasina would be my best bet.

thank you for your patience!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions re. what machine to buy

I would recommend the Kasina.

The Kasina is the culmination of over 5 years of development, 2 years of design and testing. It is the "soup to nuts" solution for the avs enthusiast. It is MindPlaces' flagship product and the leader in it's field, at any price.

The main differences between the Procyon and Kasina are:
    • Windows and Mac compatibility
    • Music playback from integrated micro-SD card
    • Expandable, unlimited storage through the use of micro-SD cards
    • Rechargable battery, chargable via USB
    • Very simple add/delete sessions and OS update procedure (drag and drop)
    • 6-channel Ganzframes (Red/Green/Blue x 2 (Left and Right))
    • Spectrastrobe encoding as a 6-channel format - big improvement over AudioStrobe
    • Easy to use free KBS editor available for Windows and Mac
    • 3rd party editors available
    • In-Ear style headphones
    • Colour screen with much more information
    • Very simple to use with simple control pad and graphical screen
    • Modern styling and packaging
    • Works as USB audio device for playback of music or sessions via PC

Please have a look at some of our customer reviews on Amazon to see what others are saying about the product.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Questions re. what machine to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I would recommend the Kasina.

The Kasina is the culmination of over 5 years of development, 2 years of design and testing. It is the "soup to nuts" solution for the avs enthusiast. It is MindPlaces' flagship product and the leader in it's field, at any price.

The main differences between the Procyon and Kasina are:
    • Windows and Mac compatibility
    • Music playback from integrated micro-SD card
    • Expandable, unlimited storage through the use of micro-SD cards
    • Rechargable battery, chargable via USB
    • Very simple add/delete sessions and OS update procedure (drag and drop)
    • 6-channel Ganzframes (Red/Green/Blue x 2 (Left and Right))
    • Spectrastrobe encoding as a 6-channel format - big improvement over AudioStrobe
    • Easy to use free KBS editor available for Windows and Mac
    • 3rd party editors available
    • In-Ear style headphones
    • Colour screen with much more information
    • Very simple to use with simple control pad and graphical screen
    • Modern styling and packaging
    • Works as USB audio device for playback of music or sessions via PC

Please have a look at some of our customer reviews on Amazon to see what others are saying about the product.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Most reviews I see online agree that the Kasina is the best AVS system currently on the market. What I don't understand, however, is how it compares to simpler systems. Before finding out about AVS systems I was thinking about doing my own experiments with binaural beats and ping pong balls (Ganzfeld), but then, finding out about these AVS products, I decided that I would rather experiment with them.

I understand that the Kasina has more functions.
    What I'm looking for is pretty simple, however - I wouldn't mind the additional features of the Kasina as frankly they seem incredible potent..

For instance, on a forum one of your coworkers writes (on the topic Kasina vs Procyon):

"[...] without an external source of audio the Procyon audio is pulsing wave shapes or binaural beats. Whereas the Kasina audio is environmental, ambient soundscapes, and deep music."

Since I'm not at all looking for music, but ONLY binaural beats, the Procyon seems like the better option if it is specifically tailored for this. UNLESS the Kasina can do this just as good. If so, the Kasina is the superior option.

Furthermore, on a site selling the Procyon, the description reads:

"[...] our ganzfeld feature allows the creation of such fields
    in a wide variety of colours."

Meaning that for static colors, for doing Ganzfeld experiments, the Procyon looks like the more suitable option - UNLESS the Kasina can do this, too - and frankly most information about the Kasina highlights the "cooler" effects and shy away from the simple.

Basically, I'm asking if the Kasina can do the simpler things, too.

On another note:
    It is my understanding that the Proteus has a "user mode" in which you can change frequencies *while using the product*, manually, without a computer. Is this possible with the newer systems? If not, I understand there might be a good reason (habituation).

I've read as much as i possibly can about these systems in three days I've been aware of their existance, but there is A LOT of information. Since I'm eager to place my order, I figured I'd rather ask in the forums first.

4. Default Re: Questions re. what machine to buy

I found an answer on the forums re. the Ganzfeld:

http://mindplacesupport.com/forum/sh...light=Ganzfeld

As far as the binaural thing goes, it seems the editor is the answer here, too. I am now 75% sure I'm getting the Kasina over any other MP product.
    Yet - maybe I should get a Proteus, too, if it's simpler to use the more 'primitive' effects (?).

Blog Entries

All of the MP products will do a great job at Brain Entrainment. It's all about the features and future-proof-ness of the newer products.

Note that you will need a Windows computer to program the Proteus and Procyon. There is no Mac software for those devices. Also, the editors for those products are very basic and not as user-friendly as the Kasina's. You should maybe download each of the editors so you can see what they are like. You can use them without a device connected.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: Questions re. what machine to buy

Thanks, Andy!

I found a Kasina dealer in my country - feeling really hyped!

7. Default Re: Questions re. what machine to buy

Update:

The Kasina is awesome. The colors in spectrastrobe have an almost organic feel to them, and even with my eyes closed I can see flashes of pulsating purple blend seamlessly with blue, red, green, orange, yellow... It's absolutely immersing.

I've seen some posts in the forum asking for instant fractals and mandalas. Such effects are definitely possible - have a look at the "audio illusions" (audiostrobe) about 2 minutes in. I think the patterns there are created by the square waves (could be wrong - check out Neuroasis blog for details). I prefer the more organic look of the rainbow spectrum prevalent in the SS factory sessions, but look forward to experiment with this in the various editors.

I've been using it mainly to help with falling asleep, and it definitely works for me - the binaural beats/isochronic tones sound nothing like the harsh machine-gun audio I've listened to in the past. In the sleep session, for instance, the beat sounds just like the engine of a small boat submerged in water :-)

My dream recall has improved as well.

Thanks, MP!

Blog Entries

That's great! I so glad you're happy with your new toy.

Makes us all very happy to hear that it's working as intended!
    -Andy.

Thread Information