Thread: Mindroid vs. Procyon

1. Default Mindroid vs. Procyon

I've been thinking about getting the Procyon, but I'm hesitant to take the plunge.

I downloaded Mindroid to get a feel for strobing lights, and it actually works. Mindroid is an Android app, I'm using it with VR goggles.

Is there anyone here who has used both Mindroid and Procyon? Do you prefer one over the other? Does the extra color in the Procyon make a difference?

Default Re: Mindroid vs. Procyon

I haven't tried mindroid yet, but the light from a smartphone is going to be significantly less than from the LEDs in our ganzframes. I do notice that a company is making 'mindroid glasses' that apparently sync with that app, which is a neat idea. I'm quite fond of the Procyon, but then I'm biased as I helped design it. :-)

-Robert

3. Default Re: Mindroid vs. Procyon

Thanks for your reply. If you ever do try Mindroid, please post your thoughts. From what I've read, all the MindPlace systems do a lot more than Mindroid, but it's hard to judge whether this will result in a noticeably better or different experience. But then again, that might be something that varies from person to person.

Looks like an interesting app... we just have an iPhone, no android at this point, though. Again, brightness would be a key difference between a smartphone app and the LEDs in our glasses. The Deepak Chopra Dreamweaver project has some apps that that use the camera flash for strobe stimulation... definitely brighter, but you still have to hold the phone in front of your eyes (which might get old after a few minutes).

5. Default Re: Mindroid vs. Procyon

I ended up getting a Proteus, so now I can answer my own question. This post will probably only be helpful to people who've never tried a mind machine before, but I thought I'd put it out there in case helps any first timers like myself. By the way, the webmaster here should really let Google index these forums. I think it would only help MindPlace.

In terms of the visual entertainment, Mindroid and Proteus are worlds apart. Mindroid merely gives you the on-off-on-off of a strobing light. The Proteus gives you a dozen or so colors arranged in constantly moving and morphing shapes and patterns. Mostly, I see spinning starbursts, snowflakes, wheels, latticework, and tunnels. It creates the illusion of depth - from many yards away to right up against your face. It will definitely keep you entertained while the brainwave entrainment does its work.

In terms of brainwave entrainment, they seem to do the same thing. I've only given the sleep sessions a thorough test. Both Mindroid and Proteus will put me to sleep. Mindroid has a sleep session that might work slightly better for me. I'll try to recreate that and program it into my Proteus. The other Mindroid sessions (meant for alertness, concentration, etc.) do the job, but they're a chore to sit through. I gave up on them fairly quickly, the benefit wasn't worth the boredom. The Proteus, on the other hand, is an absolute pleasure to use.

The Proteus is far superior, but if you have an Android phone and VR goggles lying around, Mindroid is worth the download if only to check out the sleep session.
    Last edited by pixeldust; 09-11-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks for posting this comparison, pixeldust! Brighter lights = more imagery, for sure. When I want a really intense AVS session, I connect a Kasina or Procyon to our MELS system, about 2,500 lumens of RGB light.

Wishing you many pleasant voyages. Also, try the glasses without internal sounds, but your favorite music, as an experiment. Our brains are really good at finding connections between the two streams.

-Robert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pixeldust View Post
    By the way, the webmaster here should really let Google index these forums. I think it would only help MindPlace.
    I sent you a PM regarding this topic, please reply when you get a moment, I'm quite curious about your comment.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

8. Default Re: Mindroid vs. Procyon

I think I spoke too soon, I sent you a reply.

Thread Information