Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio mixing questions

1. Question Audio mixing questions

Two questions:
    1. The user manual implies that one can mix external audio with Procyon's internal synthesizer. However it is not clear how to do this. I have tried to connect Procyon to Ipod, and tried all modes - i get no sound from either Ipod or Procyon. How can i make this work?

2. Assuming that Audio Mixing works, would not users easily run into situations when the external audio frequencies do not match the Procyon's session and user gets conflicting signals/disharmony?

Quote from manual:
    "Audio mixing
    You can mix external audio with Procyon's internal synthesizer.
    Use your CD or MP3 player, or any other audio source with a
    headphone output. The audio volume control on top of the unit is
    used to change the internal volume; use your player?s headphone
    volume control your source. In this way you can mix the two in an
    optimum manner."

Thanks
    Lisa

Blog Entries

Default Re: Audio mixing questions

You need to make sure that you press the up/down button when a session is running to select "Aon" (meaning [external] Audio ON). (Aof means [external] Audio OFF)

Normally this is used in AudioStrobe or SynchroMuse mode with encoded CDs that cause the audio tones and lights to flash in synch with the music.

3. Default Re: Audio mixing questions

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate the quick response time impressive!

4. Default Re: Audio mixing questions

For the benefit of the community i want to share the answer to my second question i got via email:

Actually, AS signals can make their way into the MP3 format; some users have reported that this works with bitrates as low as 160 kbs, but higher bitrates would be even better (i.e., 256 or 320 kbs). I'm not very familiar with iTunes, but assume that this application would allow some control over the bitrate. Some MP3 encoders include a check box called "high frequency"
    or similar, which preserves higher frequencies--the MP3 encoding process tends to "roll off" higher frequencies (that is, reduces their volume) since the format is more concerned with encoding the mid and lower frequencies, which are emphasized in popular music.

cheers
    lisa

5. Default Re: Audio mixing questions

Yes , 256/ 320 kbps seems to work well. Also be sure to switch off Variable Bit Rate ( VBR ) when encoding.

On a related topic was talk about Synchromuse data for Procyon not surviving MP3 process. There is another form of audio compression called Lossless which gives about 50% compression of the Audio CD , which is then uncompressed back to normal audio bitrate and burn't as a normal audio CD. This sort of compression at least aids in the transfer of music around the internet without such huge downloads. There is allready a fair bit of Audio Strobe CD's on file share networks moving around this way. It will be interesting to see if Synchromuse data is retained successfully in the same process. If so it will be great medium for people to distribute their work.

Question Re: Audio mixing questions

I have successfully been able to get my Synchromuse wav file to kick off the correct session. In doing so the light portion program kicks off fine. However I can not figure out how to get the binaural beats to mix in.
    I was able to under SES mode use Aon to play the external file with the binaural beat.
    Are you suppose to insert the beats into your wav file for Synchomuse?
    The manual seems to indicate the beat would be auto intergrated in dAS mode, however it does not seem to be present.
    If so does the light automatically sync to that beat?
    If you have music intergrated how does the light choose the correct beat?

Blog Entries

Hi jephk;

Try going through the Syncromuse tutorial here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and see how that works for you.

Synchromuse-encoded wav files have a packet of information at the beginning which details the session (procyon program information) that will be played while the music plays. The music itself does not have any data in it that the Procyon reads. The procyon only reads the header on the wav file. The header (since it's not music) will never survive compression (like mp3 or other methods) so it cannot be compressed. Perhaps one day it'll be possible to put a header on an mp3 file that can be read by the Procyon but not at this point.

-Andy.

Hi Andy,

Sorry for not being clear before. The issue isn't that we can't get the session to kick off. We have no problem with that. The issue is that when the session kicks off there is no integration of the binarual beat from the procyon device into the sound we are playing.

The synchromuse Tutorial uses a session that has the binarual beats disabled.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jephk View Post
    The synchromuse Tutorial uses a session that has the binarual beats disabled.
    Are you not able to create your own session by following the instructions, but have the session use binaural beats?

My understanding is that the session you create, when you do it from scratch can be anything you want, but obviously you'd want it to follow the changes in the music for it to relate to the music.

The session in the tutorial is merely an example. For this method to work with your own music, you have to create your own session.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding where the problem lies for you?

Let me know where you're getting stuck in the process and I'll try to help.

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi jephk;

Try going through the Syncromuse tutorial here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and see how that works for you.

Synchromuse-encoded wav files have a packet of information at the beginning which details the session (procyon program information) that will be played while the music plays. The music itself does not have any data in it that the Procyon reads. The procyon only reads the header on the wav file. The header (since it's not music) will never survive compression (like mp3 or other methods) so it cannot be compressed. Perhaps one day it'll be possible to put a header on an mp3 file that can be read by the Procyon but not at this point.

-Andy.
    aha! it was this post of yours andy i was thinking about when speaking of a wav header in my other thread. so does this post only apply to synchromuse cd's and not the audio and turbo cd's? to restate the question here, there should be no problem with ripping audio and turbo cds to mp3 as long as an adequate bitrate is attained, right? no header to worry about in these formats?

thanks,

/guy
    we place no reliance / on virgin or pigeon / our method is science / our aim is religion ~'uncle al' crowley

Thread Information