Thread: 40hz gamma mindplace should jump on new Alzheimer's research!

Default 40hz gamma mindplace should jump on new Alzheimer's research!

There is new neuroscience research on gamma and Alzheimer's disease.
    As I'm sure you all know.
    But as I've been reading/listening. I was wondering if Li-Huei Tsai of MIT even knows about avs.

News.mit.edu/2016/visual-stimulation-treatment-alzheimer-1207

Mindplace should jump on this research!

Default Re: 40hz gamma mindplace should jump on new Alzheimer's research!

Really! I've been using my new Kasina to meditate for a couple of months, although I originally researched AVS, and bought the Kasina, after reading about Tsai's work at MIT. I'm not very experienced with forums in general, and don't really know how to get my question out there, but I'm wondering where to find sessions for the Kasina based on these studies. They must exist, right?

Hello, csaint--if you have current firmware installed, then there is a manual frequency control mode; just select 40 hz and which colorset to use. Also, the most recent production run included two spectrastrobe sessions in the Accelerate folder. If you don't have these, then you can download and install them from our Soundcloud account.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Austin View Post
    Hello, csaint--if you have current firmware installed, then there is a manual frequency control mode; just select 40 hz and which colorset to use. Also, the most recent production run included two spectrastrobe sessions in the Accelerate folder. If you don't have these, then you can download and install them from our Soundcloud account.
    Hi Robert, thank you for answering.

I just updated my firmware a couple of days ago, but I can't find the manual frequency mode, either on the Kasina's own interface, or poking around from my computer via USB. Where would I find it?

Is there also a way to add an audio frequency? In the articles, they mention that when Tsai and her team added 40 Hz audio as well, the results were significantly augmented.

After updating, I have the same 8 sessions in the Accelerate folder as came on the memory card. I think they're the same, anyway. In the manual, none is described as going up to 40Hz. Which session do you mean?

I must say that I totally agree with Alvodi--Mindplace should jump on this research. Wouldn't it be a simple thing to provide a 40Hz visual + audio session on this Soundcloud account you mention? The NYT article on the study mentions that Tsai and a colleague are themselves already preparing to commercialize their findings:

They will soon start testing on people with mild Alzheimers. Dr. Tsai and a co-author, Edward Boyden, co-director of the M.I.T. Center for Neurobiological Engineering, have also co-founded a company, Cognito Therapeutics, which is testing a goggles-like light-and-sound device on Alzheimers patients, she said. Dr. Tsai said the company is not involved in her teams academic research, which was funded by several foundations and the National Institutes of Health.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by csaint View Post
    I just updated my firmware a couple of days ago, but I can't find the manual frequency mode, either on the Kasina's own interface, or poking around from my computer via USB. Where would I find it?
    From the release notes:
    Code:
    FW2.06  Feb 2019
    Kasina Firmware v2.06

- Translation of "Manual Control" user interface texts into several languages
    - Minor tweaks

** This version includes changes from 2.04 and 2.05:

Added menu languages. Here is the new list:

• English
    • Czech
    • German
    • Russian
    • French
    • Slovak
    • Hungarian
    • Polish
    • Italian
    - Added MANUAL Mode Press and hold SESSIONS tile to enter. Press and Hold Center Button to exit MANUAL mode. - Better charging performance when battery is low and a red battery indicator if charger is supplying insufficient current.
    Is there also a way to add an audio frequency? In the articles, they mention that when Tsai and her team added 40 Hz audio as well, the results were significantly augmented.
    There isn't a simple way to add both light and sound 40hz to an existing SS or AS session without re-designing the session. You can of course add 40hz audio to any session by mixing in external audio.

After updating, I have the same 8 sessions in the Accelerate folder as came on the memory card. I think they're the same, anyway. In the manual, none is described as going up to 40Hz. Which session do you mean?
    The firmware updates don't include the sessions. You can download the sessions from the MP Soundcloud account. Look for the Gamma sessions.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thanks, Andy!

7. Default Current thinking on Alzheimer's and gamma AVS?

I see there has been some discussion here in the past on the research coming out of MIT in 2016 on the apparent (and startling) 'repair' effects of 40hz stimulation on Alzheimer's-prone mice, which was widely reported at the time. As a past user of MindPlace and other machines as relaxation and meditation aids in the 1990s, my attention was caught by this, as I am now a lot older and brain health has become an issue of greater relevance. I believe that the original research team at MIT are in the process of spinning off some sort of commercial endeavor from their work and are currently trialing it in humans.

It strikes me that if there is the slightest chance that AVS could benefit continuing brain health in later life, then we are potentially into a whole new ballpark, certainly one that justifies the cost of a capable device like the Kasina. I would be interested to hear others' opinions of this.
    Last edited by Baker Steve; 03-02-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Posting moved to relevant existing thread by mod.

8. Default Re: 40hz gamma mindplace should jump on new Alzheimer's research!

40hz Gamma is pretty good for long term memory too.

9. Default Re: 40hz gamma mindplace should jump on new Alzheimer's research!

That research at MIT published in 2016 showed benefits from 40 hz visual stimulation. Here's some newer research (2019) from the same lab that shows positive results from 40 hz auditory stimulation on mice with an Alzheimer's-like condition. It also showed that combining 40 hz visual and auditory stimulation provided additional benefits (microglial-clustering responses, and decreased amyloid in medial prefrontal cortex) that neither stimulation had when used by itself.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...92867419301631
    There's no guarantee that it will work in humans, but if I or anyone in my family had Alzheimer's, I would certainly try it.
    Last edited by MindTheGap; 05-02-2021 at 03:58 AM.

Thread Information