Thread: Synchromuse session running long

1. Default Synchromuse session running long

I've been using Synchromuse sessions incorporated in my installation for several years. The one I posted on the synchromuse 101 thread a few years ago has always caused me issues. Out of all the synchromuse sessions I have ever created the Star Trippin' one always runs long. I recently revisited it attempting to fix the problem and still come up running long. Any thoughts on why this is? The only thing I can think is that it uses some segments with high frequencies (40-70hz) and maybe the processor has to work so hard for the high frequencies that the processor actually slows and the segment ends longer than it's supposed to. Could that be possible?

I will attempt at lowering those high frequencies and report back.

If anyone has any ideas of why it could be running long please let me know.

Default Re: Synchromuse session running long

Scott's our expert on SynchroMuse, but I would suspect that this is due to use of integer math in an 8 bit microcontroller; this introduces rounding errors that can accumulate over time. Please do let us know if reducing those max. frequencies has the desired effect on your session length... maybe we should have made the CPU over-clock-able? :-)

-Robert

3. Default Re: Synchromuse session running long

I dropped all the high frequencies down to 18hz and couldn't find any notable differences. Tried a bunch of other things and still couldn't seem to make any effect. Maybe it's just the number of segments in the session. I really don't know. I ended up just dropping 2 tenths of a second off of each segment. Which lined up the first few major segment changes perfectly, but by the end it was still a bit long. However, by then I'm probably the only person that would notice it.

I looked at some of my other synchros and some of them have the same problem (which doesn't matter as much, because the segments changes are more subtle), but others run perfectly. It's really quite strange. I can't seem to figure out what is causing the CPU to slow on some and not on others.

Anyway, if you ever have any thoughts about it I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thread Information