Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .wav unsupported file format

Default .wav unsupported file format

Hi guys,

I have tried to convert my FLAC files into WAV format which is supposedly supported by the Kasina. When I transferred wavs onto the Kasina and tried to play them from the device there was a message: "unsupported file format"?

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I have put the wavs into the Colour Organ directory folder for easy identification.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Maybe the file size matters, 'cause the files are about 350MB each in size .

Best regards,

Seva.

Blog Entries

Default Re: .wav unsupported file format

Hello Seva;

There are particular bit depths and sample rates that the Kasina will and will not play. I would start with 44.1khz sample rate and 16bit depth and see if that fixes the problem.
    What software are you using to convert the files?
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hello Andy,

I have followed your advice and used 2 different converters Tunesify and Media Human Audio Converter, I am on a Mac. I have tried different bit depths even went onto 8-bit WAV but nothing could solve the problem. I am using 32 GB SanDisk card and it plays all the factory programs with no problems plus my own mp3s. The FLACs I am trying to convert are Monroe Gateway Program. I thought I could preserve all the frequencies that are used by converting to WAV file. If there is no other solution maybe I could convert the FLACs to mp3?
    Would it really matter? I do not know how precise the Gateway Program should be in relation to frequency spectrum. Do you know anything about that?

But anyway, WAV support is quite important. This format is sonically superior to mp3. Just tried to convert some other FLAC and the message is up again.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Seva.

P. S. Funny enough, when I load some of my AudioStrobe WAVs onto the Kasina, they work!? They have been converted from ogg format.
    Last edited by Seva; 07-03-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Seva;

Please click the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page to send me an e-mail. I'll get you to send me one of the flac files and converted wav files for testing and I'm sure we'll be able to figure out what's going wrong.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hi Andy,

I have managed to sort it out myself. Apparently the converters that I was using were doing something wrong for the Kasina to read the converted files. After trying different bit depths and different FLAC files I was desparate to get to the root of the problem. Than I have come across XLD batch converter and cue cutter which did the job beautifully. I can't recomend it enogh and best of all this tool is free.

So there you go, for anyone on a Mac who wants to convert any of there FLACs or any other hi res format audio files to the Kasina's readable WAVs use XLD batch converter.

Regards,

Seva.

Blog Entries

Glad you were able to sort this out. For the benefit of others doing conversion, what sample rate and bit depth did you end up using for the .wav files that worked?
    -Andy.

Hi Andy,

Sure, I 'll share the specs of conversion.

16 bit 44100 Hz as well as 48000 work just fine with the Kasina. Although you have to choose the right algorithm for the conversion to work on the device.

In XLD go to Preferences/General/output Format Option tab and choose SoxHQ in Algorithm field.

That's it folks! Happy converting!

Seva.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seva View Post
    Although you have to choose the right algorithm for the conversion to work on the device.

In XLD go to Preferences/General/output Format Option tab and choose SoxHQ in Algorithm field.
    I have never heard of SoxHQ. Is there any information in the software that describes what this means?

Even though a .wav file can contain many formats, it is most typically just uncompressed PCM. There should be few options to that format other than:
    1. Channels (Mono/Stereo/Multitrack)
    2. Bit Depth (8/16/24/32, etc)
    3. Sample Rate (44.1khz/48khz/96khz, etc)

I would be interested to know what this SoxHQ algorithm is doing and what it means.
    -Andy.

I do not Andy what it is doing and what it means.

You can go to their website http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html and check it out yourself. They have a link to their source code.

Regards,

Seva.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I looked at their websites, but there's no information there. Is there any documentation that comes with the software? I'm a Windows guy so I can't just install it and see.
    -Andy.

Thread Information