Thread: Problems with Proteus

1. Exclamation Problems with Proteus

I have been through all of the available documentation and still have two issues I need to resolve.

1) The proteus does not work with batteries. It seems only the A/C input works. This is not documented anywhere in any of the manual versions I have seen on your site.

2) I have been attempting to transfer sessions to the User bank on the proteus, unsuccessfully. This operation is completely straight foward, but just does not seem to be working. I verify the proteus is communicating by opening and closing a realtime session. I then open the Session Manager and select the album I have created with four of the user uploaded sessions I downloaded from your website. The proteus is running 2.3 o/s, so it is set to PC mode, as per the pdf included with editor version 2.4.1:

"1) When downloading sessions or albums into Proteus, use the "dL" mode as in pre-2.3 versions; version 2.3 required using the ?PC? mode."

I then click "Send to Utility Area" and the transfer bar appears, then disappears. The proteus display stays on PC the entire time.

I switch to the User bank U01, and hit play. The display shows "15" for a 15 minute session, but the first session in my transfer list is 44 minutes long! The transfer is not working.

I have triend DL mode, I have tried the earlier 2.3 version of the editor software. I have tried a slower COMM transfer rate of 2, but nothing seems to work. HELP!

~LucidOne

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems with Proteus

Quote Originally Posted by LucidOne
    I have been through all of the available documentation and still have two issues I need to resolve.

1) The proteus does not work with batteries. It seems only the A/C input works. This is not documented anywhere in any of the manual versions I have seen on your site.
    Hi LucidOne! Welcome to the forums.
    The proteus definitely works on batteries, otherwise that compartment on the back would be lot of wasted space! Let's check to make sure that:
    1. The batteries are brand new. They are alkalines and definitely are good. Maybe try a couple of sets to be sure.
    2. The batteries are inserted correctly. The end of the battery with the bit that sticks out is the "+" end, and goes in to the end of the compartment WITHOUT the spring. The other end of the battery that's flat (the "-" end) goes towards the spring.
    If you've tried that, then you may have a defective unit. Are you able to bring it back to the place you bought it to have them check it for you? If you bought it recently it may still be under warranty.

2) I have been attempting to transfer sessions to the User bank on the proteus, unsuccessfully. This operation is completely straight foward, but just does not seem to be working. I verify the proteus is communicating by opening and closing a realtime session. I then open the Session Manager and select the album I have created with four of the user uploaded sessions I downloaded from your website. The proteus is running 2.3 o/s, so it is set to PC mode, as per the pdf included with editor version 2.4.1:

"1) When downloading sessions or albums into Proteus, use the "dL" mode as in pre-2.3 versions; version 2.3 required using the ?PC? mode."

I then click "Send to Utility Area" and the transfer bar appears, then disappears. The proteus display stays on PC the entire time.

I switch to the User bank U01, and hit play. The display shows "15" for a 15 minute session, but the first session in my transfer list is 44 minutes long! The transfer is not working.

I have triend DL mode, I have tried the earlier 2.3 version of the editor software. I have tried a slower COMM transfer rate of 2, but nothing seems to work. HELP!

~LucidOne
    Couple of things to check here with your hardware:
    1. Are you using an RS232-USB adaptor, or does your PC have an actual RS232 (com- 9pin) connector that you are using?
    2. Are you using the grey or black cable (the RS-232 to 1/8" that came with the proteus) for the proteus? Only the black cable will work.
    Hopefully Marisa will chime in here as she has plenty of experience with the software and may be able to help more than I.

3. Default Re: Problems with Proteus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Hi LucidOne! Welcome to the forums.
    The proteus definitely works on batteries, otherwise that compartment on the back would be lot of wasted space! Let's check to make sure that:
    1. The batteries are brand new. They are alkalines and definitely are good. Maybe try a couple of sets to be sure.
    2. The batteries are inserted correctly. The end of the battery with the bit that sticks out is the "+" end, and goes in to the end of the compartment WITHOUT the spring. The other end of the battery that's flat (the "-" end) goes towards the spring.
    If you've tried that, then you may have a defective unit. Are you able to bring it back to the place you bought it to have them check it for you? If you bought it recently it may still be under warranty.
    Thanks for the quick reply. The batteries I tried were brand new Energizer Digital, so they should not be a problem. I tried them in another device, and it worked like a champ. Also, I double checked and they were inserted correctly.

As for returning the unit, I bought it directly from mindmodulations.com, which I believe is the manufacturer, no? I don't believe I have the receipt for the unit either.

Couple of things to check here with your hardware:
    1. Are you using an RS232-USB adaptor, or does your PC have an actual RS232 (com- 9pin) connector that you are using?
    2. Are you using the grey or black cable (the RS-232 to 1/8" that came with the proteus) for the proteus? Only the black cable will work.
    Hopefully Marisa will chime in here as she has plenty of experience with the software and may be able to help more than I.
    The adaptor I'm using is a RS232-USB adaptor from Keyspan (USA19HS). I considered that this might be the cause of the problem, but I have no problem running a session live via the USB/Serial connection. This means that the data transfer should work as well, no?

Thank you again for your help!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick reply. The batteries I tried were brand new Energizer Digital, so they should not be a problem. I tried them in another device, and it worked like a champ. Also, I double checked and they were inserted correctly.
    Ok, sounds like you definitely have a unit that needs repair.

As for returning the unit, I bought it directly from mindmodulations.com, which I believe is the manufacturer, no? I don't believe I have the receipt for the unit either.
    No, they aren't the manufacturer, that would be MindPlace! You should however, contact them via e-mail or phone and see if they are able to help.

The adaptor I'm using is a RS232-USB adaptor from Keyspan (USA19HS). I considered that this might be the cause of the problem, but I have no problem running a session live via the USB/Serial connection. This means that the data transfer should work as well, no?
    Yep, that sounds like the cabling and drivers are ok.
    My suggestion would be to update the OS to version 2.4.1. It's possible that there may be an issue with corruption of the 2.3 OS on the Proteus.
    That later editor and OS is here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Down...teus_2_4_1.zip

The instructions are on page 17 of the Proteus Manual: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Down...teusEditor.pdf

Thank you again for your help!
    No problem! I hope my suggestions result in a fully working Proteus!

5. Default Re: Problems with Proteus

Hi,

I have seen that problem before.

The need for "dl" mode depends on the version of the editor - not the version of the OS.

So if you are using the editor 2.41 beta (which is the best right now), make sure that the Proteus is in "dl" mode prior to upload. (From what I read in your mail - you are using "pc" mode).

There might still be trouble ahead as some USB <-> serial converters just don't work with the Proteus with some pc's. So next idea is to install the editor on some other pc and give that a try.

I use an ATEN232A converter. It is cheap and OK for the Proteus for 4 in 5 pc's. I will however just and only do the job if the transfer speed is really low. You make it low by the pull down menu "Serial port" / "Change transfer rate". It MUST be as slow as possible (slider to the right).

Kind Regards

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

6. Default Re: Problems with Proteus

Thanks, MindMan!

I was able to transfer data to the Proteus by setting the COMM transfer speed to the lowest setting.

I have one question, however. There is a user uploaded program with astral in the title, I don't remember the exact name, I think it is ProjectingTheAstralBody. When opened in the editor it shows as 40 something minutes. When uploaded to the Proteus, the minute countdown timer shows 83.

Any idea why there would be such a large difference in time?

Blog Entries

Glad you were able to do a successful download. Did you update the OS to 2.4.1? If not, you should still probably do that and then try uploading that session that has the strange length discrepancy.

8. Default Re: Problems with Proteus

Hi,

the difference in length comes from using "Supplemental Proteus Controls" when writing a session.

Each session is made of segments. Each segment has 10 pieces of information:

Left/right start/stop frequency

Left/right start/stop light intensity

Start/stop of audible pitch

Now if one decides for the option "Supplemental Proteus Controls" for one segment, one makes a deal:

Higher precision but less variation. Example: Instead of start and stop pitch - one gets just continous pitch - but at a higher precision. Same for frequency and light intensity.

The Proteus OS is however fooled if one does so, and gives an incorrect length of the session if just one segment is changed as described. The editor is however not fooled.

I have not put that into my forwarded list of bugs, as I can live with it. But maybe the programmer should look at that as well - now he is online again.

Kind Regards

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Thread Information