Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

1. Default Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi,

now on the bugs in the editor (I am non-US using Windows XP SP2 - and in my country we use "," for the decimal point):

1) Segment 1 is overwritten randomly while editing. Any segment can - it seems - overwrite segment 1. I have an idea ,that this happens when I save the session during editing work. And that the last segment I was editing before saving does the overwriting.

2a) The decimal problem was not really solved with the 2.41 beta editor for us non-US people. OK the content of each segment now shows "," - but you can't any longer input data right into each segment. Input has now to be done just and only into the common input-fields right above the segments. And those input fields still don't accept anything but "." for a decimal point.

2b) One more thing happened while trying to solve the decimal point in editor 2.41 beta. The input fields are not any longer as "fool proof" as they used to be. If one tries inputting a too large number for a given field - the editor simply collapses. This is not a new problem but now less fields are "fool prooof ". My guess is that the "fix" of the decimal problem was to "cut" the input boxes, which alowed input directly into each segment. And if I were the programmer I would have built the "fool proof test" right into those input boxes. So probably the boxes left and the "fool proof thing" with them.

3) When editing long sessions (i.e. so long that you will need the scroll bar to the right) the editor randomly looses count of what segment it is pointing at and so what segment it is editing. This often means that editing seems to go on where you think you are - but somewhat later some not intended segments were in reality edited.

4) I always use the pull down editing menu. Especially since stange things happened using the command line button "Delete Segment". I guess the real problem is the editor loosing count of where it is. I now use just and only the pull down meny "Cut" command instead. That is stable.

Kind Regards

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi Mind Man,

I just wanted to let you know that your message has been forwarded to the software designer of this program and hopefully we'll have an answer for you soon.

M.

I'm looking at the problems.
    I'll post some code for the decimal separator issue soon.
    Slogged through the help files and found a promising approach.
    I haven't been able to coerce my PC into thinking it's not from the US so I can't test it directly.

Hello MindMan,

I've been working on version 2.42 of the Editor and have some things to test.
    I've attached ?Proteus2_42.zip? (which is just a zipped form of ?Proteus2_42.exe?) to this post. You should be able to unzip it and paste it into the old application directory? no need to uninstall and reinstall. You may have to upgrade any shortcuts to point to the 2.42 version rather than the 2.41.

Only the window application has been changed so you don?t have to upload any OS into the Proteus.
    I can't test the code for the "," decimal separator so see if it works when setting the LFO1 and LFO2 frequencies. Hopefully even dragging the slider should update things with a ",".

I've added a log file (with minimal functionality at the moment) but one of the first things it does is tests the response to assigning numeric values to "2.34? and ?2,34?. After the test it writes to the log if your system is using a ? , ? or ? . ? as a decimal separator. There is a possibility that neither works in which case the log will show a ? * ?.
    If you type in something like ?k4? into the LFO1 & 2 areas you should hopefully see the edge of your application window flash red, green and blue indicating the programming found that ?k4? caused an error when trying to be converted to a numeric value. If the log is open it will print the error to the log. You may see the border flash at other times (usually when the segment pointer is out of sorts). These events are also logged.

You can start/stop the log by clicking <Help> <Start Log File> or <Close Log File>. After closing, it will be saved in the application directory as ?Proteus_LOG.PRL?. It is continually overwritten each time you open the log so if you want to save one for future reference you have to rename it.

The new windows app also has a fix for the "incorrect session time reported" when a session has special segments in it.

I found an instance of the segment pointer getting set to "1" after a "Save As" operation (which also occurs when you save a new session for the first time). Hopefully this corrects the random overwrite of segment one.

As far as fool proofing data entries, I had to strip out the code when I was trying to get the program to recognize non-US numerical formats. Once that is going, I?ll start putting the ?edit as you go? code back into the program.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
    TheRock
    Last edited by Andy; 07-08-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: 2.42 superceded by 2.45

5. Default Re: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi TheRock,

I have dowbloaded the file.

I will test it during the next 24 hours by writing a minir session.

Kind Regards

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.

6. Default Re: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi TheRock,

I tried to open one of my older sessions with "," as the decinal point.

All I did was to step from the first segment and one segment down at a time. Each time I stepped on the next segment - the editor interpreted the "," as not being there.

I.e. a start LFO-frequency "17,1 Hz" was interpreted as 171 Hz inside the editor and as 50 Hz in the input fielld above the segments.

The second time I started the log first. I attach it ( I renamed it to *.txt due to the upload rules here). I will attach my european session as well (a non-destroyed version).

At this stage the editor behaves very much like the 2.3 and pre 2.3 versions.

I don't know how a US Windows XP is functioning - but I can make my european one behave like a US one - if I go to the control panel and change the so called language settings. This affects of course all software - and is why I am not happy with it. Maybe you can do the same on your pc?

Kind Regards

Morten
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Hi MindMan,

Thanks for the feedback.

Bummer!

Best make a backup folder of all your sessions and use that until this thing gets squared away.
    The US version does the same thing with ?17,1? ? changes it to 171.

What happens when you scroll with the slider?

Did you make a log file and look at what the decimal separator was?

I tried using the language settings and while the time and date changed I didn?t see any use of the ?,? as a decimal separator. I?ll give it another shot.

Again, thanks for your help.

Best regards,
    Todd

8. Default Re: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi,

I must honestly say, that I never made it to the slider.

The slider doesn't misbehave each time, but just sometimes during editing - and I could not really make myself "work" with the editor for a longer time - while it mashes my sessions all along.

If you are stuck I might go for a new session with no decimal points at all. Just to put the editor under pressure - while ignoring the decimal problem.

I will, however, be on holidays for most of july.

K.R.

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.

9. Default Re: Bugs in the editor 2.41 beta

Hi,

I started the log and tried to input some new decimals.

Hard to describe what happened - but if I changed a segment - then sometimes I got the "50 Hz" all at once. Sometimes when editing not hte next but the next again segment. I.e. "correction seems not to happen in one shot each time.

I even suceeded in quite a lot of decimals down to 1/1000 - which the editor officially does not support.

The log (did I send the wrong one first time?) and mashed session comes here.

K.R.

MndMan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Hi MindMan,

I changed my regional language settings to German (Luxembourg) and can now work with the ?,? separator. Things should go smoother now.

I noticed that when I use the ?comma? on the regular keyboard (next to the ?M?) the program accepts the value okay, but if I use the ?decimal point? on the numeric keypad (below the ?3?) then it is entered as a ?.? and is misinterpreted. How does it work on yours?
    I also see different programs respond to the numeric separator differently?
    ?Calculator? seems to accept it okay but ?Visual Basic?, ?Word 2000? and even typing into this field convert it to a ?.?. Weird!

Does your numeric keypad show a ?.? or a ?,? for the decimal separator?
    When you use that key does it print as a ?.? or a ?,? on the screen.
    Windows does the interpretation of the keystrokes and passes the value onto the application but I can intercept them and change them if needed. That will be my next approach.

Best regards,
    Todd

Thread Information