Thread: Wonky Ganzframes

1. Cool Wonky Ganzframes

I thought perhaps one of my ears was higher than the other. I'm used to the open eye goggles, so while I await for the DeepVisions to arrive I've been playing with the paper cutouts on the standard ganzframes. That's when I noticed it. The leds have been stuck on the frames at different heights. It's infuritating!
    I'm afraid to prise one of them off to reposition, and so I'm asking before I do what's the best way to do that? It's like a 3mm difference and really noticeable now I know it's there.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wonky Ganzframes

If it is the LED strip that is uneven then that is not hard to pull up and reposition. There is very little risk of damaging the LEDs as the strips are very robust. Just be careful of the solder joints where the cable exits the frames. With careful handling this shouldn't be an issue.The glue is very sticky and should stick back and hold.

You would also have to take the diffuser off. It is just a strong double sided glue tape. Use a little screwdriver to pry it up at a point in the middle. Same with the strip. Try to only work on the side that needs adjusted.

I have disassembled and reassembled Ganzframes many times without the strength of the bond being compromised much.

3mm is not very much though and wouldn't be noticeable behind closed eyes. But I know how it is when you discover a flaw on something new (that you paid good money for too). It bugs the heck out of you for a while.

Try this first and then if needed contact Andy at the Contact Us link at the bottom and we will send you a replacement set. There is a warranty against manufacturing defects, which this falls under.

Best,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Wonky Ganzframes

Thanks Scott,
    I was careful - gave it a quick blast with a hairdryer to warm the glue and used a plastic spudger. They are even now. I'll have the paper cutouts on them permanently as I like the open eye too much. I don't really appreciate any colors with closed eye. 3mm was enough so that the green leds on the left eye weren't visible in the field of vision so it was quite disorienting...and as for that single red dot not lining up......well it just ruins the balance of the session.

Is there any science as to the number of leds and their layout?

cheers
    Rob
    Last edited by RobIreland; 09-21-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wonky Ganzframes

There is science to the LED layouts especially in the sense of closed eye color balance. The ratio is 3 blue to 2 green to 1 red. Red light transmits most through the eyelids. Blue the least.

The arrangement and balance is also based on the density and location of cone cells https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell

Seeing detailed colors in closed eyes is a skill to be practiced. Our visual system is very efficient so it shuts down parts of visual processing when the eyes are closed. What is seen tends to start in 'night vision' mode. Repeated exposures to closed eye stimulation overcomes this. I suspect that this may be one of the reasons that people report enhanced dream detail with AVS use.

A trick to begin to see the subtle shades, especially blue, is to roll your eyes downward, ie look at the floor.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information