Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some sound questions

1. Default Re: Some sound questions

Well, it is primarily a $300 light machine and there is another recent thread where Scott explains the leds very well. Open eye goggles are just for that - they just need to accurately reproduce the colors in an even spread that you can see. Closed eye goggles, the leds are positioned in a way as to hit the cones through your eyelids. Coming from the laxman I'm looking forward to having 2 sets of glasses for different purposes. the open eyes are really only good for light shows. if you are using them for entrainment you'll end up closing your eyes regardless.

As for sound, I've just discovered that the safest way to ensure the **strobe data is intact is to encode mp3s with a 320 CBR. Now while that's still a lossy format, it's still pretty good high quality sound and worthy of some attention. I can't compare with an earlier firmware, but I played the same tracks with a few different headphones on different devices (colorfly c4 and sony zx1) and the Kasina definitely has a brighter sound - it loses a bit of warmth somewhere. I'm actually ok with the sound - I prefer my music crispier. I either raise the top end on the eq or listen with Grados - but I can totally get that it's not a flat response. Get some good Sennheisers would be my advice - they tend to warm things up - not to mention you can actually wear them with the glasses quite comfortably for longer periods.

...or yes, add a 5 band eq

As for the session editor, I agree. The basic kasina session editor is, from what I can tell, an audiostrobe editor, not a spectrastrobe one...ergo not really a kasina editor.

It is however, the best machine of it's kind. It's a niche market and I'm happy MindPlace can produce these, stay in business and remain enthusiastic. I imagine it's a small development team and updates might take time.
    Last edited by RobIreland; 09-22-2015 at 03:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some sound questions

Technically, the editor is exclusively for the onboard mind machine format KBS. It is the editor for that format. The KBS format is for strictly stimulation based sessions in a simplified style. Being that KBS also takes advantage of the ColorSets for real time color selection, this eases the learning curve. Basically to create a simple session there is no learning curve. But the possibility for complex sessions is still there.

Also, I'm not sure I've discussed it here before, but how many people use or know about disentrainment sessions? These are wide ranging 'brain buster' type sessions. These can help break up your habitual mental patterns, enhance creativity, encourage neuroplasticity etc... I run sessions of this type at least once a week.

The KBS format is super nice for these types of sessions.

The editor was never meant to compete with NP3 or MWS and why should it? Those software programs rule and Transparent is very supportive of MindPlace products. If you want something free then use GNaural which I have made templates for.

Best,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 09-22-2015 at 05:17 AM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Some sound questions

Hi Scott,
    are you saying you can select ColorSets in the KBS itself? I have hunted for them but can't find anything. I've read about the ability to switch between them in realtime as the session plays, but decided that must mean you can press down on the Kasina itself while it's playing and I don't see that as being very practical while in a session.

Nope, I've never heard of disentrainment before. Would that be using some kind of chaotic session? I'm intrigued....

I think I'm going to get my hands dirty with audacity or gnaural and get to grips with it at it's basic level before I bust open my Mind Workstation trial. I've enjoyed your audacity lessons - they remind me of the CoolEditPro days and I put a lot of time into that many moons ago, so I should be more at home for a while.
    That's also made me frustrated with NP3 - there seems to be no zoom on the timeline. For a 30min track it's nigh on impossible to manually move nodes around that are close together.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some sound questions

Not in the KBS itself... yet. The firmware engineers having been working on this ability. Playing around with the ColorSets in realtime is useful I think. I start off a session with a random ColorSet and the during the stimulation phase go to all lights on. It is easy with practice to know the order.

Yes, a disentrainment session presents a lot of frequency changes in fast ramps. It is a 'random' type session. The Editor can create new ones in seconds. That is a unique aspect of AVS. You can expose your brain to new frequencies to break up patterns.

Gnaural is pretty nice. Not too far away from the capabilities of NP3, although not quite as user friendly. With the tools I made and along with the Editor, Audacity can create simple sessions easily as well.

On Zoom, yeah it renders NP3 not very flexible, especially for the quick changes required for visuals. What most people don't realize is that NP3 is primarily a 'player' app for sessions. Thus the large session library. It has editing capabilities and you can do a lot within limits. Mind Workstation is the session creator app.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information