Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some sound questions

1. Cool Some sound questions

Yay, my Kasina arrived and I'm impressed. Well done on a mature product - if only there was a way of falling asleep with it and not waking up entangled with 3 cables.

I'm trying to set the machine up so I can put my other machine to rest on ebay. I'm having a big issue on my mac. Using the Kasina as a USB sound device, all I get is what sounds like a high pitch modem whenever I play any music. It's playing the music but only with one very high pitch. I've selected the "Kasina MMS Audio" in sound preferences and the midi utility only has 48000 output for that device. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've found my audiostrobe cds from my proteus days. I don't have a cd player of any sorts anymore so am going to rip them and put them on the SD card. What is the lowest recommended mp3 bitrate to ensure that the encoding frequencies are intact?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some sound questions

Hi Rob;

That doesn't sound right. Are you selecting "USB" on the Kasina menu?
    What version of Firmware is on that Kasina? Settings/Service menu.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Some sound questions

Hi Andy,
    You know what? I'm an idiot. I had the headphones plugged into the glasses jack! At least I know what light sounds like now.

Blog Entries

Oops!
    We've all done that at one time. Glad it was something simple.

Do check though that you have firmware 1.17 on your Kasina and update it if necessary.

Enjoy!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Oops!
    We've all done that at one time. Glad it was something simple.

Do check though that you have firmware 1.17 on your Kasina and update it if necessary.

Enjoy!
    Just updated mine from 1.14 to 1.17 (did not know this was available, thanks). I notice that the pitch on my recordings seems a little higher now. Esp. noticeable with my hypno tracks. Any reason for this? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Hi Tom,

Pitch playing off the card? I cannot imagine what would account for that. The only thing I could imagine is that the sample rate of your files is reading differently. Like the difference between 44.1khz and 48khz. That would make them sound higher. However, I cannot fathom how this would happen.

Is there a way that you could record the output from the headphone jack on your Kasina into your computer or other recorder. Then compare it to the original file playing in a media player. If different then would you please send us a sample copy of both of the files to investigate?

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Hi Tom,

Pitch playing off the card? I cannot imagine what would account for that. The only thing I could imagine is that the sample rate of your files is reading differently. Like the difference between 44.1khz and 48khz. That would make them sound higher. However, I cannot fathom how this would happen.

Is there a way that you could record the output from the headphone jack on your Kasina into your computer or other recorder. Then compare it to the original file playing in a media player. If different then would you please send us a sample copy of both of the files to investigate?

Scott
    I think I may have incorrectly used the term Pitch. It is more like there is more treble than bass so voices and music sound a bit thinner, if that makes any sense? It really would be nice to have some control of bass/treble levels on the Kasina.

Blog Entries

I can't confirm this. I rolled back and forth between firmware versions and with the pieces I was using could not discern a difference. Not saying that you are mistaken but I just don't know. Nothing has been changed that would affect the bass. If anything the high frequencies are filtered to eliminate PWM carriers (techie stuff warning).

So, could you possible do an A/B recording?

EQ is not going to happen per the engineers as the Kasina MCU is already taxed with all of the realtime filtering it is doing already, which is about 6-10 filters depending on the mode.

You can of course EQ your music (and do so in a batch) prior to copying to the Kasina.. or actually even on the Kasina card if you wanted. If you plan to keep those music tracks dedicated on the Kasina then this would make sense.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    I can't confirm this. I rolled back and forth between firmware versions and with the pieces I was using could not discern a difference. Not saying that you are mistaken but I just don't know. Nothing has been changed that would affect the bass. If anything the high frequencies are filtered to eliminate PWM carriers (techie stuff warning).

So, could you possible do an A/B recording?

EQ is not going to happen per the engineers as the Kasina MCU is already taxed with all of the realtime filtering it is doing already, which is about 6-10 filters depending on the mode.

You can of course EQ your music (and do so in a batch) prior to copying to the Kasina.. or actually even on the Kasina card if you wanted. If you plan to keep those music tracks dedicated on the Kasina then this would make sense.
    Thanks for your response Scott.

I find it hard to believe that a +$300 l/s machine cannot have an equalizer, or at least a simple bass/treble control while a $50 credit card sized mp3 player can do all this. Guess I just need to velcro a mp3 player on it and run it though my Kasina aux. Sort of what I used to do with my old Sirius, lol!

Also, I have the pre-production open-eye goggles/glasses and they work great for open-eye, but they do not work as well for closed-eye. Mainly because the open-eyed glasses do not have strong enough red leds. This could have been solved by allowing higher = standard red light options (not just lowering others) Again, just another thing to pack around. Because most of my sessions are close-eyed, I hardly ever use the open-eyed goggles/glasses now.

Between these seemingly un-passable barriers, plus your useless (for me, anyway) session editor updates (NP3 has always worked fine for me) I think we just have to agree to disagree mate. Sorry about that btw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Thanks for your response Scott. I find it hard to believe that a +$300 l/s machine cannot have an equalizer, or at least a simple bass/treble control while a $50 credit card sized mp3 player can do all this. Guess I just need to velcro a mp3 player on it and run it though my Kasina aux. Sort of what I used to do with my old Sirius, lol!
    As you know I believe in treating our valued customers as adults whether that be good news or bad.

Those $50 mp3 players have dedicated chips for that purpose as I have explained before. When you add an additional audio subsystem the primary task of delivering microsecond accurate light pulses from an onboard audio stream is complexified further. The very basis of engineering choices and bringing a product to market is a series of tradeoffs.

The best news is you have the option of an AUX jack, eye open experiences, the editor, NP3, etc.

Regards,
    Scott

Thread Information