Thread: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

1. Default Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

I've been doing some exploration of various L&S theories and playing with the Procyon - and it has led me to some ideas in how I would personally like the product to be enhanced.

1) More that just binauraul output

I've found quite a bit of research about the significance of binaural beats for entrainment purposes. Procyon handles this fine.

However, I have been playing around with using more than two channels of audio (left ear/right ear) via 3rd party products and AudioStrobe, and I find the effect of using dual binary beats quite interesting. Reading Awakening Mind I by James Mann, I can see various theories about the power of using 4 channels of audio to create not only dual binaural beats but also monaural beats and a Box X method of using monaural beats in each ear, dual binaural beats and more simultaneously. I can't vouch for their effectiveness using any research at this stage as I'm having difficulty finding such research, so it might not be the "standard" use of something like the Procyon - but for consciousness explorers it could be of benefit.

Admittedly - you can do all of this stuff already with 3rd party software given Procyon's flexibility in handling AudioStrobe, but I'm just saying it would be nice to have it in one place.

Additionally, the ability to use monaural beats (if I have this right), might also give you the flexibility to use entrainment methods without headphones. I haven't seen too much on this, but I recently bought the book Mind States by Michael Landgraf and there was talk in there about broadcasting at very low volume entrainment signals (about the level of fluorescent light tube hum) and getting favourable results in test classrooms in terms of the ability of the students to conentrate and participate. I don't know if it's true, but it would be great to just plug the Procyon into a speaker system and not necessarily have to wear the headphones to entrain.

Again - the standard approach can still be the standard, but the flexibility allows people to explore just with the unit and the editor software.

2) Other audio programmability requests

There are a few other things I'd like to be able to do in Procyon. I'd like to have a little bit more control over the sound modulation options. At the moment, you can only track to the lights, but I'd like a little bit more freedom to use my own modulation LFO or envelopes etc.. I particularly like the idea of using modulation on left and right channel audio to create panning effects and "3D sound". I believe you could do it in some ways with the existing modulation option - but if you want to use a square wave for the lights for example, you won't be able to create a decent panning effect. I think in some ways this is a bigger ask than point 1 because I'm really asking for quite a bit of flexibility that you could find in software to be transferred to the unit. So I can already appreciate if this one in particular is not viable.

3) Left and Right eye control for the lights

OK - the lighting control for Procyon is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that hit me as an improvement would be that it might be nice to have some independent left eye/right eye control. This might make for some interesting control of left and right hemisphere targetting. Again - not sure if there's any real evidence of that being useful (haven't looked into this much), but it sounds like an interesting idea to explore.

4) Multi-platform software drivers and development documentation

Now to the software. It's actually quite functional now that I've learned how to use it - and I'm still impressed with the looping functionality, powerful stuff.

I realise that the software is not intended as a major selling point for the Procyon and it's probably an area that MindPlace don't really want to focus on except to get the job done of designing factory presets during product development, testing etc.., but I still think there could be some improvements here. I realise also that there is an ActiveX control available for those who want to try their hand at developing their own user interface.

My suggestion would be to keep what is there as it is - however, what I would like to see is the following:

A driver that supports Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Make connectivity available from more than just Windows basically - also to release some sort of documentation on what file structures etc should be used to communicate with the device from the computer.

This way, a 3rd party could take up the challenge of writing a swish cross-platform interface for the Procyon while the basics are still present for the Windows version as is currently the case.

If this is not possible - then would it at least be possible to provide more info/documentation on how to develop using or not using the ActiveX plug-in on Windows (including how to export DAS coded audio files)?

5) Better control for auto-shutoff using DAS and AS modes

I would really like to see either an infinite wait time in these modes - or something more configurable than 80 minutes followed by shutdown.

I understand the battery-saving concept, but for those wanting longer sessions and those who are not restricted by batteries (using power adaptors etc.), the lack of flexibility can be disruptive if you want to experience longer sessions.

SUMMARY:

Honestly - anyone would think I didn't like this device - but I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I use it every night and I've started trialing it at work with music to keep my focus (minus the goggles of course).

I'm not sure I've felt any great personal connection with the included presets at this point, but I'm enjoying the process of trying out my own presets either using Brainwave Generator exported AudioStrobe files or creating my own Procyon sessions through the editor. One day I'll get back to finding out if I can get SynchroMuse to work.

But I'm one of those people who often develop a vision of what a product could be as well as what it is. I'm sure that once PreSage comes out, I'll have ideas there too.

So I'm not putting down the current product - just sharing my "vision" for what it's worth. I'm sure the more I get involved in the technology and the product, the more I will have ideas I'd like to share.

Regards
    Caleb

2. Default Re: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

I just noticed in a thread on isochronic tones that it was stated that Procyon is capable of producing monaural beats.

I think I understand how, if I may be permitted to ask the admins - Marisa etc... for the moment.

If you utilise the sound modulation option in the Procyon editor, you can set the pulsing of a given frequency of sound to track the "wave table" for one of the colour channels.

This means that you can set the frequency to 196Hz in both ears (no binaural) and instead modulate volume the tone itself to produce pulses - this also means that you could play such tones through speakers and get whatever benefits you get from monaural beats without needing headphones.

Additionally - because Procyon programming allows you to modulate the left speaker and right speaker individually (for headphone use), you could use two pulse frequencies - one for each ear.

If the theory can be believed, this can be used to create a more dissociative experiences by varying the phasing and pulse frequency over time in each ear. Additionally, I think this might lead to an audio approximation of a ganzfeld effect.

Now - if I've got this right that means that the Procyon is even more programmable than I imagined.

Are my assumptions right here - forgetting about theory for the moment, just from an operational perspective?

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

Hi Caleb,

I'll answered or commented on the portions of this message that are within my realm of knowledge. Some of my comments are intended to be taken in the form of a discussion where we can toss around ideas and theories.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I've been doing some exploration of various L&S theories and playing with the Procyon - and it has led me to some ideas in how I would personally like the product to be enhanced.

1) More that just binaural output

However, I have been playing around with using more than two channels of audio (left ear/right ear) via 3rd party products and Audio Strobe, and I find the effect of using dual binary beats quite interesting.
    IMHO if the binaural beat is the most effective and powerful way to entrain, then why bother with something that will not work as well - i.e. dual BBs or even monaural beats? BTW, the Proteus has dual BB capability and I'm guessing that MP didn't include this feature in the Procyon because they are not all that effective.

Reading Awakening Mind I by James Mann, I can see various theories about the power of using 4 channels of audio to create not only dual binaural beats but also monaural beats and a Box X method of using monaural beats in each ear, dual binaural beats and more simultaneously. I can't vouch for their effectiveness using any research at this stage as I'm having difficulty finding such research, so it might not be the "standard" use of something like the Procyon - but for consciousness explorers it could be of benefit.
    There is the possibility also that there isn't much literature on this because it doesn't get good entrainment results. Essentially, what we are doing with entrainment is trying to get our brain waves to synch up with a desired range of frequencies. This is actually a simple process that doesn't require the complexities of programming that you are mentioning.

If you over-load your auditory cortex - your mind may simply shut down or you may experience an altered state of consciousness depending on how much stress you put upon your brain. I was just reading in a book on the Brain, something on Autism. The book talks about how those with Autism are extremely sensitive to sensory input. In other words, their sensory systems easily get overloaded and so they simply shut down (go into their own world, per se', to cope). You could call what they experience an "altered state of consciousness".

Could you achieve an altered state of consciousness, in the way you want, though overloading the senses - in the case you are talking about - auditory cortex? Possibly. In many cases where people have had spontaneous ASC, the state resulted from an extreme stress causing an emotional overload. This happens a lot where people have "religious" or "spiritual" visions.

An ASC can occur through hypnosis where the subject is induced into a trance through drumming, dancing or participating in a ritual and because of their beliefs and what they are doing, the act itself is the hypnotic suggestion that leads to an ASC.

Additionally, the ability to use monaural beats (if I have this right), might also give you the flexibility to use entrainment methods without headphones.
    Entrainment through monaural beats - i.e. playing music such as classical music (Mozart effect) or the sound of the surf can entrain the brain but not as effectively as using headphones and light. Entrainment via photic stimulation is the strongest method of entrainment. Entrainment via sound is secondary and not as powerful - though it still works.

If you want binaural beats, you have to have your head positioned in between the speakers or else it won't work because you need to hear a different frequency in each ear in order to produce the third frequency. This can't occur if you are listening to music or tones through speakers in the room.

I haven't seen too much on this, but I recently bought the book Mind States by Michael Landgraf and there was talk in there about broadcasting at very low volume entrainment signals (about the level of fluorescent light tube hum) and getting favorable results in test classrooms in terms of the ability of the students to concentrate and participate. I don't know if it's true, but it would be great to just plug the Procyon into a speaker system and not necessarily have to wear the headphones to entrain.
    For entrainment to work, all you need is a steady and constant beat. We are bombarded by various frequencies of things all day (example: flicker rate of our computer & TV screens, fluorescent lights, hum of machinery etc.). In order for a frequency to directly affect our brain waves, it has to be fairly slow - between .5 - 75Hz (beats per second). Some schools play classical music in the background which has been reported to help students focus and learn. It all depends on how fast the music is. Play too slow of music (sound of the surf) and they will go into a trance - which actually may be good if the teacher is teaching something but not good if they need to be concentrating on something.

3) Left and Right eye control for the lights
    Most of the things that you want to be able to do, you can do with the Proteus. You may want to add one of these to your collection.

Honestly - anyone would think I didn't like this device - but I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I use it every night and I've started trialing it at work with music to keep my focus (minus the goggles of course).
    Actually your message is quite positive. You are making suggestions as to what you'd like and I don't see anything negative in that.

I'm not sure I've felt any great personal connection with the included presets at this point,
    Because of the way you are using the machine, you are not experiencing the full entrainment capability and so your results may not be as strong as they would if you also used the lights.

That reminds me, if you want to listen to something that has beats in the background, you may want to look into purchasing the audiostrobe cd "Bran scan". This CD basically does what you want. You can listen to it with the lights or just play it on your CD player.

But I'm one of those people who often develop a vision of what a product could be as well as what it is. I'm sure that once PreSage comes out, I'll have ideas there too.
    That's really cool. Keep in mind though what you are working with and what the end result is that you want. In other words, keep in mind that we are working with brain waves which can influence a state of mind but not necessarily create it.

So I'm not putting down the current product - just sharing my "vision" for what it's worth. I'm sure the more I get involved in the technology and the product, the more I will have ideas I'd like to share.
    As I mentioned before, I don't see anything offensive in your message at all. In fact, I found it interesting and thought provoking.

4. Default Re: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

Marisa - I think the information I've found in various places tends to be conflicting.

Unfortunately, there's not a hell of alot you can read that isn't produced by someone who's not trying to sell you something.

For example - Transparent Neuro Programmer. The documentation suggests that binaural beats does entrain and they certain have binaural beats, but they go further to suggest that isochronic tones are more effective because the beats themselves are more noticeable. These tones just seem to be sine waves that have their volume modulated by a square or pulse wave. This sounds like what I'd imagine a monaural tone to be.

In fact, their advice and recommendations leads you to believe that you really should remove as much external stimulation as possible to ensure that your brain can capture the particular frequency more effectively and ensure FFS to occur.

The suggestion is that from a brain point of view even things like blinking etc.. can have a negative effect on entrainment. The choice of music background needs to be carefully considered not to get in the way of the entrainment process etc...

The idea is to ensure that the beats are heard clearly, are not confused too much by other stimulation and that you probably need a few minutes for the FFS effect to take place.

All this makes sense, but then you read Mind States by Michael Landgraf and he seems to think something at the volume of the hum of fluorescent light that people aren't really aware of can also have positive effects on multiple people.

This guy seems to be quite an explorer of light and sound, sound only devices and other than the book, he doesn't seem to be selling too much to me - although he freely admits to being a dealer. But he seems to be more interested in spreading the technology for the sake of its merits if you can believe what's written in the book and he loans/donates various devices in order to further his observations on the effects - for example playing what would probably be monaural tones at very low volume in a waiting room.

Additionally, he suggests that dual binaurals may have the benefit of stopping the brain from becoming bored which implies that they are a positive thing.

OK - move on to Awakening Mind and you start seeing some interesting things about combining binaural tones and even about combining binaural and monaural tones at the same time. Additionally, you find information about harmonic series and window frequencies etc. and the effects of the Schumann Resonance frequencies. Here, the actual perceived pitches you use make a difference.

Now, I'm not certain if the use of dual binaurals is specifically aiding in entrainment as such or perhaps used to make the experience more effective in other ways. Perhaps to introduce an effect of dissociation for example.

I actually haven't read much about dual binaurals working or not working. Even here, Robert (I think) said that although the experiments conducted weren't effective for dual binaurals, the experiments were hardly comprehensive. And maybe entrainment is not the only benefit that can be had from this sort of thing.

It's interesting what you said about Proteus having features that were actually dropped. I always find it strange when a company chooses to drop features rather than just add. In much the same way it was decided not to support the existing BioConnect with ThoughtStream as well as introducing BioConnect2 for the upcoming PreSage.

As I'm supposing there has not been any evidence to suggest that dual binaurals are dangerous, the only reason I can think of such a feature being removed is actually cost. I mean MindPlace seems to have preset users in mind with these devices and the software is made available to only those who wish to explore, which is recognised as being only a small portion of the target market. So if the presets don't actually use dual binaurals you're not providing people with "ineffective" technology, but those who wish to explore can.

There are other products on the market that can be used in conjunction with Procyon so that you can explore dual binaurals, mixing with noise etc... All you need to do is purchase the fairly inexpensive Brainwave Generator, or Neuro Programmer etc.. But it's a pity that there are all these theories around to explore, but Procyon which seems quite advanced in programmability does not offer the means to explore this directly - only through the presence of 3rd party products.

If none in the range supported such theories directly then I'd say that MindPlace hasn't gone in that direction. But unfortunately, I find that MindPlace has gone in that direction but has decided to drop it. And I wouldn't be surprised if it were a cost thing more than anything else. If MindPlace thought it would be advantageous on the user to remove these things surely they would have mentioned it - otherwise why would people upgrade?

But all is not lost - as the introduction of PreSage into the mix I'm assuming is going to be a better and more flexible alternative to the Proteus/ThoughtStream combination. When it does come out I'd be interesting in reading where MindPlace thinks the improvements are. When I buy the latest - I always expect the latest to be the greatest.

I don't really want to purchase a Proteus as well - when I spend again I would like it to be on the PreSage. I just assumed that Procyon was going to be everything the Proteus was - and more. I'm a bit surprised that this was not the case - it was more of a "we'll give you an extra colour channel, improve looping programmability, give you an interface to our next biofeedback device, introduce SynchroMuse (but no additional product utilising it), but we'll take away independent control of the left/right visuals, compatibility with our existing biofeedback device, frequency randomisation and the ability to download different wavetables into 4 separate programmable channels."

The amazing thing is that this exchange of features between the models looks only like enhancements when you view the price difference.

Don't get me wrong - the SynchroMuse idea is a good idea if you want to make CD sessions utilising the extra colour channel which AudioStrobe can't do and the looping ability in the programming is a big plus for me - plus I want compatibility with the new PreSage (if it's a better device than ThoughtStream), and the presence of an additional programmable light channel should be a good thing. But given that these enhancements seem to come at the cost of some of the power of the Proteus, I'm wondering why the price of the two devices are not more similar.

Anyway - enough about Procyon vs Proteus and the "conspiracy" of pricing policy. What's done is done - move on.

In the end, I'm going to explore whatever I can explore - and Procyon does not prevent me from doing that with the ready accessibility of programmable AudioStrobe sessions, but if people are personally finding these methods effective and both books I own on the subject (and there's not too many of those around) speak about dual binaural beats in a positive way - obviously in light of their own experiences as much as anything else but they don't seem to be newbies to the technology, then it wouldn't seem unusual for the next "top of the line" device to include such capability natively.

You do mention that photic stimulation is more effective, but have you read claims that blue LEDs are not terribly effective for photic stimulation - ie lacking sufficient intensity? Additionally, I understand that the manufacture of blue LEDs is more expensive than that of red or green. This I gathered from the book Mind States.

Was this enhancement as worthwhile as would have been hoped? I'm interested to read what MindPlace says about the logic of including blue LEDs as it is clearly used as a differentiator between Procyon and other similar devices.

Regards
    Caleb

Caleb, why do you want to buy PreSage? Don't you think that Proxima is better as it will tell you exactly your state (e.g. alhpa,beta,theta) as it is EEG unit while PreSage is only GSR and its data is not so easy to interpretate?

6. Default Re: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

Actually, I will be looking at Proxima too.

I don't know if you would be able to use Procyon light and sound synergistically with Proxima in the same way as PreSage - maybe. I need to wait until these things are discussed in more detail.

Maybe there'll be a day when I have the 3 P's.

Regards
    Caleb

Blog Entries

Hi Caleb,

Marisa - I think the information I've found in various places tends to be conflicting.

Unfortunately, there's not a hell of a lot you can read that isn't produced by someone who's not trying to sell you something.
    Ya. That makes it important to consider the source, especially if that information goes against what most of the other information out there says. It certainly helps when you know someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy in the field. I'm lucky because I know Robert and trust his source of information. On what he doesn't know, he knows someone who does. LOL Of course, you could say that I'm saying this because I work with the company but what you don't know is that I chose to work with this company as more than a dealer, only because of who Robert is.

For example - Transparent Neuro Programmer. The documentation suggests that binaural beats does entrain and they certain have binaural beats, but they go further to suggest that isochronic tones are more effective because the beats themselves are more noticeable. These tones just seem to be sine waves that have their volume modulated by a square or pulse wave. This sounds like what I'd imagine a monaural tone to be.
    You are correct. "Isochronic" is nothing more than a fancy name for "monaural". His products are based on that technology - what else is he going to say. He can't be objective and neither can his research because there is a conflict of interest present. Still - monaural beats do work, just as listening to drumming (a monaural beat), or music will also work for changing state (mood) and subsequently your brain waves. Is it the best way to entrain - no.

In fact, their advice and recommendations leads you to believe that you really should remove as much external stimulation as possible to ensure that your brain can capture the particular frequency more effectively and ensure FFS to occur.
    Well, you certainly don't want too much going on that it distracts you. The flashing lights are not a distraction because they are the entrainment frequency and so is the sound. Add too much other stuff (the key is "too much") and you will over-load your auditory cortex and cause your mind to shut down or just get really annoyed. lol

The suggestion is that from a brain point of view even things like blinking etc.. can have a negative effect on entrainment.
    That doesn't seem logical.

The choice of music background needs to be carefully considered not to get in the way of the entrainment process etc...
    True in that you don't want to be listening to a Theta based program with dance music in the background because it would conflict with what you are trying to do. Dance music would be fine if you were trying to get into high beta or gamma. You do want to put thought into what you are trying to accomplish and the method of getting there.

The idea is to ensure that the beats are heard clearly, are not confused too much by other stimulation and that you probably need a few minutes for the FFS effect to take place.
    They don't need to be clearly heard, they just need to be heard or perceived by the lights (for example).

All this makes sense, but then you read Mind States by Michael Landgraf and he seems to think something at the volume of the hum of fluorescent light that people aren't really aware of can also have positive effects on multiple people.
    I've enjoyed many articles in his AVS journal. It would depend on what the frequency of the florescent light is flickering at. I know that when the lights are starting to burn out and noticeably flicker, they annoy the crap out of me. It also depends on the person as some people are so photic sensitive that anything flickering will give them a headache.

This guy seems to be quite an explorer of light and sound, sound only devices and other than the book, he doesn't seem to be selling too much to me - although he freely admits to being a dealer. But he seems to be more interested in spreading the technology for the sake of its merits if you can believe what's written in the book and he loans/donates various devices in order to further his observations on the effects - for example playing what would probably be monaural tones at very low volume in a waiting room.
    Keeping in mind that he is one source of information, just like the Monroe institute is another. I'm sure Michael has some really good suggestions. You may also enjoy reading what ever you can find, even though it's a bit dated, on Michael Hutchison. He, at one time was a leading "researcher" in the field.
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Down...megabrain2.pdf

Anything that Thomas Budzynski writes as well is well worth reading. If you haven't already read through the reference section on the Mindplace Support Site, you may enjoy spending some time there: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Reference.htm . Lots of good information.

I actually haven't read much about dual binaurals working or not working. Even here, Robert (I think) said that although the experiments conducted weren't effective for dual binaurals, the experiments were hardly comprehensive. And maybe entrainment is not the only benefit that can be had from this sort of thing.
    The study was comprehensive, it was just a small study.

It's interesting what you said about Proteus having features that were actually dropped. I always find it strange when a company chooses to drop features rather than just add. In much the same way it was decided not to support the existing BioConnect with ThoughtStream as well as introducing BioConnect2 for the upcoming PreSage.
    I only looked at the Procyon editing program and didn't see it. It doesn't mean it isn't possible. I'm thinking, and really this is something that Robert could answer better than me, that you could make a program in the Proteus editor that had dual BBs (if you had your heart set on them) and then convert it to the Procyon. I'm not sure this would work ... .

As I'm supposing there has not been any evidence to suggest that dual binaurals are dangerous, the only reason I can think of such a feature being removed is actually cost.
    They are not dangerous. If you are referring to what I said about overloading the auditory cortex, then you misunderstood what I was saying or I misunderstood what you said. It would take more than a dual BB to over-load the AC. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes less is more and if you add too many things (key words: too many) you could cause an over-load. Of course the question is - what is too much? Dual BBS are safe. They definitely don't count as "too much".

I don't know why MP didn't include dual BBS in the Editor Program. I don't think cost is a factor with this but again, I'm only speculating and this is something only Robert can tell us for sure. It doesn't cost any more to have dual BBs as the Procyon is certainly capable of such.

There are other products on the market that can be used in conjunction with Procyon so that you can explore dual binaurals, mixing with noise etc...
    LOL You are like a dog with a bone on this one. You haven't fully explored that which you already have to even know if you truly need something else. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a case of "not seeing the forest for the trees."

All you need to do is purchase the fairly inexpensive Brainwave Generator, or Neuro Programmer etc.. But it's a pity that there are all these theories around to explore, but Procyon which seems quite advanced in programmability does not offer the means to explore this directly - only through the presence of 3rd party products.
    So what exactly do you want to program the Procyon to do that it can not already do?

In the end, I'm going to explore whatever I can explore
    I can appreciate the want of exploration. However, I am a bit confused over your method of exploration and reasoning. You have not had your machine long enough to have explored all that it can do for you - as it is - before you were off looking for something better. Better than what? Better to do what?

You do mention that photic stimulation is more effective, but have you read claims that blue LEDs are not terribly effective for photic stimulation - ie lacking sufficient intensity? Additionally, I understand that the manufacture of blue LEDs is more expensive than that of red or green. This I gathered from the book Mind States.
    Uh ... what is your point? It is true that blue is not as intense as red or green. Red is best for stimulation and blue and green are best for calming. The blue also adds more color combinations which make the experience more enjoyable. If the blue didn't work at all, we wouldn't have it in the glasses.

Was this enhancement as worthwhile as would have been hoped? I'm interested to read what MindPlace says about the logic of including blue LEDs as it is clearly used as a differentiator between Procyon and other similar devices.
    Here is a link to a comparison between the Proteus and Procyon and you can see what the differences are between the two machines. http://mindplace.com/comparisonProcyon-text.htm

Caleb, you do bring up some interesting points for discussion. Wouldn't you agree that when exploring something, it is prudent to take your time and fully explore something before deciding on what it lacks? It's like me looking at Australia on a map and jumping to the conclusion about what the land contains or the size of the island.

M.
    Last edited by Marisa; 05-17-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typos etc.

Hi, Caleb--your observations about Procyon programming are correct--there are a lot of options! You could for example also introduce a phase shift across a segment to further embroider the sound characteristics. I like to set the left/right frequencies to slightly offset values, creating interesting stereo effects; for example:

start finish
    left 196 195
    right 195 196

Regarding "monoaural beats", the usual sense of this term would be if you had two offset sine waves playing in one ear; for example, 200+210 Hz; you would hear the difference as a monoaural beat. Since the Procyon is currently capable of generating one audio waveform per color channel, you could produce monoaural beats in one ear, but not both (which would require a fourth channel). It might be possible to add second audio waveforms to a color channel in the future, if there is sufficient remaining bandwidth in the CPU; we did something like that with the Proteus.

-Robert

I just noticed in a thread on isochronic tones that it was stated that Procyon is capable of producing monaural beats.

I think I understand how, if I may be permitted to ask the admins - Marisa etc... for the moment.

If you utilise the sound modulation option in the Procyon editor, you can set the pulsing of a given frequency of sound to track the "wave table" for one of the colour channels.

This means that you can set the frequency to 196Hz in both ears (no binaural) and instead modulate volume the tone itself to produce pulses - this also means that you could play such tones through speakers and get whatever benefits you get from monaural beats without needing headphones.

Additionally - because Procyon programming allows you to modulate the left speaker and right speaker individually (for headphone use), you could use two pulse frequencies - one for each ear.

If the theory can be believed, this can be used to create a more dissociative experiences by varying the phasing and pulse frequency over time in each ear. Additionally, I think this might lead to an audio approximation of a ganzfeld effect.

Now - if I've got this right that means that the Procyon is even more programmable than I imagined.

Are my assumptions right here - forgetting about theory for the moment, just from an operational perspective?

Regards
    Caleb

9. Default Re: Some suggestions for maybe the next L&S model or perhaps an update

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Caleb, you do bring up some interesting points for discussion. Wouldn't you agree that when exploring something, it is prudent to take your time and fully explore something before deciding on what it lacks? It's like me looking at Australia on a map and jumping to the conclusion about what the land contains or the size of the island.

M.
    It's so bizarre that I've been getting huge chunks of deja vu lately. I could have sworn you wrote this exact paragraph to me somewhere else.

I am, in fact, exploring the capabilities of the Procyon as well - which is why I come up with suggestions like this.

I have used a few preset sessions on the Procyon in the area I'm looking at and I haven't (thus far) found them effective. So rather than just give up on the technology altogether (which is quite easy when you're not getting the results you're looking for - and is a very common result for purchasers of light and sound technology), I went into personalising the sessions as much as possible and reading as much as I can about the technology at the same time. It keeps my interest up, let's me personalise and experiment with my sessions.

To do this, I've had to start reading and the James Mann book Awakening Mind was the first book I found on using L&S technology. Straight away several components of the theories presented are not actually possible to program on the Procyon - which makes me look for means to create these sessions to continue working with the technology.

So far, the sessions I have created myself - either directly with the Procyon editor, or indirectly through the use of AudioStrobe have had more noticeable effect on me than the preset sessions.

Then - that process makes me go back and think - I wish I could just do all that with the Procyon editor rather than deal with another product, export large wav file sessions and load them up on my MidiDisc player (a long process if the session is 60mins), only to find that there is a difference in sensitivity coming from the computer than there is from the MiniDisc player and having to do the whole session again. With the Procyon editor, once the session is created, the transfer is almost instantaneous.

This is the kind of thing that leads me to posts like this.

There's another book I'm hoping to buy called "The Rediscovery of Audio-Visual Entrainment" by Dave Siever. Information in there might lead me to more observations about Procyon, or it might provide information that allows me to work with the existing Procyon features better than before.

Regards
    Caleb

Thread Information