Thread: Serial or USB

1. Default Serial or USB

Hello,
    I have just dusted off both my Proteus and my thoughtsream after a few years. How can I know what models (versions) I have?
    I bought them many years ago and cannot find any cables with them. The Proteus has an aux plug that takes a headphone style jack.
    The Thoughtstream has a PC jack.
    Once we figure out what models I have we can then find out what cables (if any) I need from ebay
    Ash

Blog Entries

Default Re: Serial or USB

Hello Ash;

There is only one model of Proteus and 2 models of Thoughtstream.
    The Proteus however has update-able firmware (OS), so when you power it on you should be able to tell what OS version is installed by watching the LED display.
    When you first power it on, the LED display will flash the OS version 3 times. There is no need to update the OS unless you are having issues with the version installed.

The "Proteus USB" that is being sold currently just includes a USB cable for communication with the Proteus Editor and the Proteus. You can purchase the cable from mindplace.com.

The Thoughtstream comes in USB and RS-232 flavours. You can tell by looking on the side of the Thoughtstream which one you have; the USB version will have a USB connector. There are no functional differences between the two.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Serial or USB

Thanks Andy,
    Proteus is version 2.3
    Thoughtstream must be the older RS-232 version ... will look for the cable. So on the TS the only difference is the plug.
    Is the software/firmware is exactly the same or is the USB newer and more functional?
    Ash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
    Thoughtstream must be the older RS-232 version ... will look for the cable. So on the TS the only difference is the plug.
    Is the software/firmware is exactly the same or is the USB newer and more functional?
    Ash
    Well, not exactly. Functionally, the RS-232 TS and the USB TS work the same when used in standalone mode, but the communication protocol on the RS-232 TS is different than the USB version, so it needs different software.

Right now there is new software for the TS USB. If you ask Scott (neuroasis) nicely, he might consider making an RS-232 version, but there has been 0 demand for it so far.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

I don't even have a computer with an RS-232 port anymore. I've gotten the ThoughtStream Serial to work with a Prolific Serial to USB adapter I believe. It has been a long time though since I even tried. Probably on Windows XP then.

Andy is right the protocol is different. Also the TS USB update rate in much faster and the resolution of the readings higher.

I doubt that I would add TS Serial support as I couldn't test it in the native serial mode and it would require manual identification and configuration if the user was to use a USB converter.

The original TS monitor is still very useable though.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information