Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

1. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

I lost a reply, probably didn't hit post. I am wondering how to change pulse width using Ableton.

Edit

I found some M4L devices that look promising.
    Last edited by dougdi; 05-25-2015 at 05:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Yeah, M4L is the way to go. Use an LFO to automate the volume of the sampler or an Operator oscillator. I use L.LFO a lot here: http://www.lokua.net/lokuaforlive

A fast gate or a transient processor can do it too, with a different character. Still volume automation is best to avoid clicks.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Also, it is worth mentioning that pulse width (duty cycle) is a big key to creating 'geometry'. You have already honed in on this it seems.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

BTW, the controller I get the most use out of for light work is the one: Numark Orbit It is wireless with a USB dongle and has 2 axis tilt, engaged by buttons, so very useful. 4 banks and modes, 16 buttons, a huge smooth jog wheel, long battery life, good mapping software, pretty lights...

Get an TRRS extension cable to leave the Kasina console hooked up to the computer but extend the glasses across the room to a comfortable spot... http://amzn.to/1AtSin0 ... and it is tweaker's heaven.

For iPad I use Lemur. Awesome, but I like the tactile feel of the Orbit.

5. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Fun stuff! The Orbit looks good, how's the latency/consistency? Nice thing is it's midi, I wouldn't have to map through Osculator. And the price is reasonable.
    I did find L.LFO as well as another one, I'll give them a shot later.
    And I forgot I have Lemur as well as the Wii. No lack of choices

Blog Entries

Here's something cool I did tonight. I bought this Max4Live device https://sellfy.com/p/oBgM/ to use with the Interaxon Muse EEG headset.

I mapped the power of the EEG bands to SpectraStrobe signals created by an instance of Operator. Theta to blue volume, Alpha to green volume, Beta to red volume. As I was training for increasing theta the goal was primarily to lessen the red. So I wanted blue-greens with an emphasis on blue. People with ADHD or depression might do the opposite of this.

In another instance of Operator I mapped Alpha to 200hz, Beta to 400hz, Gamma to 800hz and Theta to 100hz in that stacked order from bottom to top. Then I used the 3rd FM algorithm to mix them. A super long reverb created an immersive ever changing ambient soundscape. I just droned a C3 midi note on infinite repeat.

As these are my first tests, it worked really well, and used little processing power as only 2 Operators were active. Obviously, you could go much further than this but this was immediate gratification. I only played with putting shallow flicker on the output for interest with a sample and hold AutoPan.

If you have the Muse, Ableton Live Suite and the Kasina then there is major fun to be had for the additional $5 this M4L device costs.

BTW, on this device I had to use the older Muse SDK which is included in the download. The newest one didn't work for me. I'm going to contact the developer and let them know that his beta is no longer working, at least for me.

Enjoy,
    Scotto

7. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

That is very cool indeed! I haven't played with neurofeedback yet, but I'm intrigued. Post a sample if you could. My original thought was to do something with Kyma and MWS and have live control of the stimulation and the sound content. However feedback is a whole other animal. I could afford a Neurosky Mindwave, is that worth getting? Or is it more of a toy?
    I've postponed my experimentation for the moment, hopefully I'll get back to it soon. In just a few weeks of using the Kasina, I really feel like my hearing is better (I'm 60 and still like blasting music on occasion). I'm hearing more detail on recordings and out in nature. I still have tinnitus, I'll work on that soon. It was a very unexpected benefit!
    Last edited by dougdi; 06-01-2015 at 05:25 AM. Reason: punctuation

Blog Entries

The Neurosky MindWave isn't a toy per se (I mean it is with the MindFlex and Star Wars Force trainer, both of which I have). There is a user on this forum who is using it in serious research and he attests for its accuracy. There are apps that convert its output to OSC like: https://github.com/dlublin/BrainOSC . So with mild effort you could pipe that into a DAW and map it. Later I guess I'll try some more experiments with that.

With MWS of course you can map Neurosky devices as well. Just not quite to the potential level of audio expression that you could do with virtual synths and samplers. SpectraStrobe control though is very powerful in MWS.

9. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

I'd use the Neurosky for Alpha training with MWS to start with. I don't see using it as a controller, I think it would be more than frustrating. But if the Mindwave is somewhat accurate it sounds like a smart purchase. Why is there never enough time in the day for all these experiments

Blog Entries

Using EEGs as feedback and controllers is basically the same thing. It depends on what you map them to. Audio pitch, volume, etc.. is one form of feedback. Light color, brightness, phase, etc... would be another.

Thread Information