Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

1. Question Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

I'm a professional sound designer and I'm loving my new Kasina! And some of the included sessions have some stunning sound design, great job Neuroasis & Craig Tice! I'm lucky to have a Kyma system and I'd like to generate Spectrastrobe signals using it. I sent the Kasina sine waves at the appropriate frequencies but all I get is all LEDs flashing. I was expecting to be able to light the LEDs individually. Playing mixed Spectrastrobe sessions from a headphone out on my soundcard works fine so I believe I'm setup correctly. What do I need to send to Kasina?
    Thanks!
    Doug
    difrancopro.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Hi Doug,
    What you are most likely seeing is the Kasina recognizing your signals as AudioStrobe and applying the first ColorSet which is all light channels. In addition to the light channel tones, SpectraStrobe requires a reference track. This track consists of a 18.2khz sine wave that is modulated with a pulse wave at 10hz. In addition the modulation is 180 degress out of phase between the channels.

The easiest way to create the reference is to modulate an 18.2khz sine wave with an autopan LFO set to 20hz, with the waveform being either a sine or smoothed square.

The reference signal acts as an identifier, as the Kasina performs auto-sensing between SS and AS. You will notice the top line of text on the display on the Kasina change to indicate when SpectraStrobe is recognized. The reference track also sets the dynamic range of the signal in a ratio of 4:1. That way, if the user changes the volume of the source (on an AUX for instance) the full range of brightness is still delivered.

In pracitice, the total amplitude of the reference signal is normalized to -36db and each light channel normalized to -24db. This keeps the tones inaudible and allows around -2db of headroom for the soundtrack (which should be normalized to this at max)

You may want to experiment with my Audacity Mind Machine Suite here: https://github.com/scottosx/Audacity-Mind-Machine-Suite It helps to demonstrate how to create light signals as well as provide handy tools.

There is also a set of color signal wav files for samplers here: https://github.com/scottosx/SpectraStrobe-Sampler-Files

I have also created an AVS Color picker that allows you to pick colors and get values for the light channels either in db or linear values as well as more standard values. It is here: https://github.com/scottosx/AVS-Color-Wheel/releases

On each of those github repositories you will want to download the files from the Releases section.

As you can see slowly I am building up a comprehensive set of tools. I suspect that you will be able to put them to good use. I need to make more documentation for those who may not yet have skills with audio production and that is coming.

Thank you very much for the compliments. If there are any further questions I can answer, then I am happy to do so. I look forward to hearing and seeing! some of your work.

Best,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for all this great info, I'll be checking it all out tonight. I already have MWS and NP3 and I've played with the KBS editor, LUX vst and the MUX's in MuLab. As you can imagine my head is exploding from studying all this software in just the past week. But that's half the fun . I'd like to be able to map selected parameters to a midi controller for live programming and playback (ideally in OSX). So my plan is to investigate the various methods to find a good workflow. I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is more than enough to get me started.
    I've also been going through Craig Tice's blog and finding some good tips for session programming.
    Thanks!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Hi Doug,
    What you are most likely seeing is the Kasina recognizing your signals as AudioStrobe and applying the first ColorSet which is all light channels. In addition to the light channel tones, SpectraStrobe requires a reference track. This track consists of a 18.2khz sine wave that is modulated with a pulse wave at 10hz. In addition the modulation is 180 degress out of phase between the channels.

The easiest way to create the reference is to modulate an 18.2khz sine wave with an autopan LFO set to 20hz, with the waveform being either a sine or smoothed square.

The reference signal acts as an identifier, as the Kasina performs auto-sensing between SS and AS. You will notice the top line of text on the display on the Kasina change to indicate when SpectraStrobe is recognized. The reference track also sets the dynamic range of the signal in a ratio of 4:1. That way, if the user changes the volume of the source (on an AUX for instance) the full range of brightness is still delivered.

In pracitice, the total amplitude of the reference signal is normalized to -36db and each light channel normalized to -24db. This keeps the tones inaudible and allows around -2db of headroom for the soundtrack (which should be normalized to this at max)

You may want to experiment with my Audacity Mind Machine Suite here: https://github.com/scottosx/Audacity-Mind-Machine-Suite It helps to demonstrate how to create light signals as well as provide handy tools.

There is also a set of color signal wav files for samplers here: https://github.com/scottosx/SpectraStrobe-Sampler-Files

I have also created an AVS Color picker that allows you to pick colors and get values for the light channels either in db or linear values as well as more standard values. It is here: https://github.com/scottosx/AVS-Color-Wheel/releases

On each of those github repositories you will want to download the files from the Releases section.

As you can see slowly I am building up a comprehensive set of tools. I suspect that you will be able to put them to good use. I need to make more documentation for those who may not yet have skills with audio production and that is coming.

Thank you very much for the compliments. If there are any further questions I can answer, then I am happy to do so. I look forward to hearing and seeing! some of your work.

Best,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Doug,
    Ah, I see you jump in with both feet. That's awesome. It can be a deep pool at first.

A good way to get started with MIDI controller mapping is to use the sampler files at your preferred sample rate. Map them to keys without transposition as you don't want to change the pitch. There are 6 files so a logical mapping is C-Red D-Yellow E-Green F-Cyan G-Blue A-Magenta and what I do is repeat a half volume Red at B. If you create slow attack envelopes and releases on these you can get all kinds of excellent color mixing by poking around. Put a limiter on the colors track to tame the levels. Have a separate looping reference track.

Use an arpeggiator and with pitch transpositions you can easily get nice auto color transitions.

For pulse rates a good method is to use an LFO doing amplitude modulation or a tremolo with its speed mapped to a mod wheel or transposed by octaves on the keyboard.

Some of the most interesting 'base' light tracks (which you subsequently build upon with other layers) can be obtained by analyzing audio with envelope followers. The Mulab MUX does a nice job of this. I'm sure KYMA has this built in? If not you can also try some Mac plugins I created and use here: https://github.com/scottosx/SpectraS...elope-Follower

I use Ableton Live as my main DAW and have created nice workflows for it.

Best,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 05-21-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Neat that you are using Kyma, Doug... just as a historical note, we used a Capybara/Kyma to create the AudioStrobe tracks for our CDs... back in the 90s. Very robust system, though the version I used was about 2 generations back. Curt and Carla at Symbolic Sound are an amazing team!

Looking forward to experiencing some of the fruits of your creative work,

Robert

6. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Hi Scott and Robert,
    Thanks again for being so generous with your help. I'm trying to create the Spectrastrobe signals using Ableton, and after some poking around it looks like it's working! This is going to be lots of fun!
    Cool note about using Kyma many years ago! You can imagine how far it's come since then. They just released a new major update, Kyma 7. It's an amazing tool, though not my most used. I mostly do sound design for TV promos, so it's Pro Tools, Izotope RX, Ableton, Native Instruments, blah blah blah. And yes, Carl and Kurt are wonderful and such geniuses, there is nothing like Kyma. Of course it's a natural match for Kasina content creation. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with the various tools and deciding what I want to do. In the meantime I'm going through the included content and creating some therapeutic sessions with MWS. I didn't expect the Mind Art sessions to have an effect but there have been a few occasions where a big "Wow!" popped out of my mouth after I removed the glasses! I had fun with Sanguine today.
    Hopefully I'll have some experiments to share soon.
    Doug
    Last edited by dougdi; 05-24-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: I fixed my problem.

Blog Entries

Hi Doug,
    Since you are working somewhat with Ableton I've attached a packed session that has the sampler layout I discussed above with a reference track created with Operator. I put an Autopan on the other side of the Sampler to get a starting base for modulation.

Tell me if you are able to open it. It is an Ableton 9 session (als)

Best,
    Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Default Re: Creating Spectrastrobe signal using Kyma software.

Hmm, reply doesn't show up here? It's working great now, playing through USB. I had a thought,use a Wi controller for modulation control. Or maybe an iPad, tilting in each direction can control speed, phase, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougdi View Post
    Hmm, reply doesn't show up here?
    I see this reply.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Probably means reply to the notification email doesn't automatically post.

Thread Information